Pure Nickel strings vs..?

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
I finally tried pure nickel strings for the first time and am a bit underwhelmed. 

I can tell the difference in both feel and tone from elixir nanoweb and normal strings, but was expecting (from what I’ve read) more of a difference when going to pure nickel. 

Does anybody swear by the difference?

I’m using 9-42, tuned to Eb per EVH. I’m also using quite “lively” (lots of harmonics/high mid detail) humbuckers. 

Glad I only bought three sets :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes, not as bright as nickel wound. There’s a place for both and I’ve had guitars I’ve put pure on to settle them down a little and ones I’ve put nickel wound on to give em a bit of a kick.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    I think the tonal difference is more noticeable with far less gain - Either way the difference is more subtle than 'in your face obvious' 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    edited July 2021
    I can certainly notice a difference in feel, and if I’m honest I think I prefer it (having just had another 20 mins noodling on the guitar). 

Tone wise I can’t really tell a difference, even when on lower gain/clean. 

Interesting really. I wonder if nickel strings are going to get expensive with the nickel shortage ..?

At least it’s not like I can’t do with it them. 

Feel wise, it seems I prefer (in order)

pure nickel
    Nickel wound
    Elixir nano

I can deal with all of them and none of them impact my playing in the slightest meaningful way. 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3988
    I like them on my tele, but not on anything else
  • EskerEsker Frets: 80
    I love them on my strat into my 5e3, they last a long time, although I usually change them monthly. My favs are throbaks 
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    I have to admit, the more I play these, the more I like them. 

Sound wise I’ll see if I notice when I swap them back. 
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I tried them), there is more difference in how they feel vs their sound. To me, I thought the difference was too subtle to be worth using instead of what I'm used to.
  • It can depend what you’re playing as well. Mark’s point on lower gain reveals more of the difference is valid but also if you’re hanging out on the thin strings then they’re the same steel as a nickle wrapped set would have. Lower string riffs reveal the most difference e.g the communication breakdown riff should sound and feels different between the wrapped or pure
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    I didn't notice a massive difference, at least with the cheapest Pyramid ones on Thomann. They're so cheap that I put them on some guitars that you wouldn't necessarily put nickels on (e.g. Floyd-loaded superstrats) since the difference in tone wasn't that much :D 
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited July 2021
    Pure nickel are solid nickel windings on a steel core . The other nicke wound string have a nickel coated steel winding on a steel steel core. The pure nickle are not as loud on electric guitars , less steel content . Also, the pure nickel are not as bright . Pure nick are popular with players of resonator guitars , thay have a less metallic tone . Not so popular on lap steel guitars , where the sharper and brighter tone is preferred.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    If you like pure nickel, try Monel.  The strings feel even better.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    I have to admit, the more I play these, the more I like them. 

Sound wise I’ll see if I notice when I swap them back. 
    That is an interesting point as you don't always notice the difference, so much, when going 'forward' but it becomes more obvious/noticeable, when going 'back' to root/original and that is an applicable point to so many A v B comparison's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1438
    I like pure nickel, and I also use Pyramids but the last batch I ordered (20 sets) all had duff 0.026 strings, the windings were splitting at the bridge saddle and went dull and buzzy at the same time after about an hour of use  Shame, as I've been using them for 10 years plus.

NPS are zingy, and they dull fairly quickly, whereas the pure nickels are more mellow on first use, and maintain that tone for longer.

Feel wise, I find the pure nickels slightly easier to bend, that's about it.

Currently looking for another brand, but sticking with pure nickel. I had Fender 150s before, but they used to break on me all the time (and I never break strings).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dodge said:
    I like pure nickel, and I also use Pyramids but the last batch I ordered (20 sets) all had duff 0.026 strings, the windings were splitting at the bridge saddle and went dull and buzzy at the same time after about an hour of use  Shame, as I've been using them for 10 years plus.

NPS are zingy, and they dull fairly quickly, whereas the pure nickels are more mellow on first use, and maintain that tone for longer.

Currently looking for another brand, but sticking with pure nickel. I had Fender 150s before, but they used to break on me all the time (and I never break strings).

Have you tried Curt Mangans?
    prlgmnr said:
    Dodge said:

Have you tried Curt Mangans?
    No. Should I?
    aye go on
    prlgmnr said:
    aye go on

ta.
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    Round core v hexcore makes a big difference too in feel. Be careful with installing round core strings though  https://youtu.be/7QNeJHZYEiY
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    Did you install them like this? 
    https://youtu.be/7QNeJHZYEiY
    Dodge said:

• HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    rlw said:
    If you like pure nickel, try Monel.  The strings feel even better.

I thought the monels where garbage when i tried them. Very dull sounding and less output.