Point or round?

What's Hot
carloscarlos Frets: 3449
Have only watched this summary, not the whole set, but it does match my experience trying many picks over the years. I'm a 45 degree slanter and use an Ernie Ball Prodigy 2.0mm pick which has a similar point to a Jazz III.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3989
    I like a pointy one, if the point wears off my pick past a certain point I spend like a week thinking "man I really can't pick at the moment" and then I remember why and get a fresh one.
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 244
    Am I alone in using the side of a pick rather than the tip? (I use the side with any pick whether it's a smaller JazzIII type or a larger type).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 257
    edited July 2021
    V Pick Euro for me, but I prefer them when the tip has worn, so much so, that I keep a couple with tips rounded off.
     Have used some Tusq cream 1.0, but again ended up filing the tips off.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3449
    Jim54 said:
    Am I alone in using the side of a pick rather than the tip? (I use the side with any pick whether it's a smaller JazzIII type or a larger type).
    Sounds like you prefer a very rounded "tip". There are some picks that are almost a circle. Do you slant or flat pick?
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 244
    carlos said:
    Jim54 said:
    Sounds like you prefer a very rounded "tip". There are some picks that are almost a circle. Do you slant or flat pick?
    Yeah that's probably true. Mostly flat pick I think with maybe a slight slant.
    Jim54 said:
    carlos said:
    Jim54 said:
    Yeah that's probably true. Mostly flat pick I think with maybe a slight slant.
    According to Mr Grady's research, the flatter the pickstroke, the more likely you'll go for a rounded pick.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1847
    Jim54 said:
    I do exactly the same. I do prefer a standard or larger sized,in diameter,though.
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 433
    I use the Dunlop mandolin picks and primetone ones that are pre-worn looking.  Just think they sound mellow. 
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    Jim54 said:
    Yes, me too
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    V Pick Euro for me, but I prefer them when the tip has worn, so much so, that I keep a couple with tips rounded off.
     Have used some Tusq cream 1.0, but again ended up filing the tips off.
    I use the 2mm blue Stubby's and prefer them 'played in' - not sure why but just do

Then today I was browsing the latest issue of Guitarist and an article about 'signature' pics and 2/3 of them are based on a 'worn played in' version - so we are not alone
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    I know Brian May uses an old sixpence - But are they still 'round' or are they 'pointed' 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Can't stand worn and rounded picks, it feels so inaccurate. Love the Tortex Jazz 3's, the slightly sharper tip feels much better to me and going back to a normal Tortex reels a bit weird now!
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 631
    Jim54 said:
    I use all sides. I get so much more out of a pick that way.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Until this thread I don't think I've ever thought about how I pick. I have no idea to be honest. I'll have to check this evening. I pretty much exclusively use Jazz III though
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    I assumed this was gonna be venetian Vs florentine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I never found any pick that I really got on with, particularly with any kind of strumming. For that reason I play with just fingers instead. In the last couple of years I actually found a plec I could get on with, a Jim Dunlop 0.46 (ridiculously thin!), but after all this time I basically just stick with fingers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I know Brian May uses an old sixpence - But are they still 'round' or are they 'pointed' 
    For the sake of this conversation, rounded. Which means Brian is a flat-picker.
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    axisus said:
    I never found any pick that I really got on with, particularly with any kind of strumming. For that reason I play with just fingers instead. In the last couple of years I actually found a plec I could get on with, a Jim Dunlop 0.46 (ridiculously thin!), but after all this time I basically just stick with fingers.
    Same here :+1:  I’ve been playing guitar for well over 40 years now? Of which the last few’ I’ve been playing with fingers only -  still adopting the ( pick holding ) position?  It just feels way more natural, and more connection with the feel of the guitar, if that makes sense??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    carlos said:
    Have only watched this summary, not the whole set, but it does match my experience trying many picks over the years. I'm a 45 degree slanter and use an Ernie Ball Prodigy 2.0mm pick which has a similar point to a Jazz III.
    I use these too - great picks. Which one have you gone for? Think my favourite is the mini. Only thing I found is that at gigs under hot lights they can be a bit slippy - but for obvious reasons that hasn't been a problem for a while!
    carlos said:
    I use these too - great picks. Which one have you gone for? Think my favourite is the mini. Only thing I found is that at gigs under hot lights they can be a bit slippy - but for obvious reasons that hasn't been a problem for a while!
    It's the shield shape with 3 points.