Tomatillos

What's Hot
chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
edited July 2021 in Off Topic
During lockdown, I bought a vegetable trug to grow some stuff in. Nothing big, herbs, radishes lettuce, that kind of thing. While at the garden centre I noticed some plants called tomatillos that I'd heard of but never seen before. They were about 10" tall and I bought two for a quid each. We named them Pote and Teresita in homage to the characters from 'Queen of the South'.

Two months on, and just like their namesakes, the bastard things have taken over the trug, shoving everything thing else either out of the way, or in the shade. They're so big, maybe over a metre tall and bushy as fuck, I can't shut the poxy trug lid.

Anyone else grown them before, or had any experience with them? If they're going to produce a shitload of fruit, fine. Green tomatillos salsa it is. If not, I'm getting the pruning shears out before they get any bigger.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I thought this was a thread about overpriced hand-wound pickups from some Mexican lady in her '50s or '60s

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They're fantastic fruits.

I have grown them before and they fruited loads. Treat them like tomatoes - I think I sideshooted them to control bushiness and increase flower production, and fed weekly with an organic seaweed food.

Don't worry about having a lid over everything, most stuff doesn't need that level of heat and humidity to produce. I grew tomatillo outside on a balcony.

You may find that the shade from them benefits lettuces and herbs, by keeping them cooler and reducing the chances of them bolting :) it's also a good idea to have some pollinator friendly wild flowers nearby to bring in bees, wasps, hover flies etc to help manage pests and pollinate the flowers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    just looking online and a meter tall sounds about right. Sounds fine.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Never heard of them..are you sure theyre not triffids?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Are they some sort of cross between tomatoes and armadillos ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4159
    I’ve not heard of them either ,very interesting 
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Emp_Fab said:
    Are they some sort of cross between tomatoes and armadillos ?
    Crunchy on the outside...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    If there's a meteor shower just run like hell.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    No, I’m not sure whether they’re triffids, but as they haven’t managed to escape the confines of the trug, it’s looking unlikely.

As it happens, the coriander is doing well in the dappled light, and the rocket lettuce appears to be, errrrr, rocketing up, too. On the downside, the basil has withered in their shade, and the spring onions are pitiful, about the size of a drinking straw.

I only bought two of them because the woman in the garden centre said a single plant wouldn’t produce fruit. Not sure how that works, but at £2 she can’t have been profiteering, so maybe it’s true. But I can’t determine whether the small buds on them are the precursor to fruit, or whether they’re a new flower. Time will tell.

I’ve seen the fruits in US supermarkets. They look like a green tomato in a husk. The salsa they make from them is very nice, great with Mexican grub, or fish tacos.

• pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    My wife grew them here in Germany a few years ago. They did very well and produced a large amount of fruit, which went to good use in salsas, chutney etc.
    No, I’m not sure whether they’re triffids, but as they haven’t managed to escape the confines of the trug, it’s looking unlikely.

As it happens, the coriander is doing well in the dappled light, and the rocket lettuce appears to be, errrrr, rocketing up, too. On the downside, the basil has withered in their shade, and the spring onions are pitiful, about the size of a drinking straw.

I only bought two of them because the woman in the garden centre said a single plant wouldn’t produce fruit. Not sure how that works, but at £2 she can’t have been profiteering, so maybe it’s true. But I can’t determine whether the small buds on them are the precursor to fruit, or whether they’re a new flower. Time will tell.

I’ve seen the fruits in US supermarkets. They look like a green tomato in a husk. The salsa they make from them is very nice, great with Mexican grub, or fish tacos.
    Tomatillos aren't self pollinating so if you don't have at least two you don't get any fruit. It's also why you need bees to get at them.  
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18756
    ^ Or a small paintbrush. 
    ^ Or a small paintbrush. 
    Although Chillidoggy has to understand that only works if he uses the paintbrush whilst dressed as a bee and wiggling his bottom. It's the only way to fool the tomatillos, they are a relatively smart plant. And that video evidence of him doing this shared online would also help. In some way. It's science. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    So, presumably tomatillos are male and female? Or are they trans, or still questioning? We get plenty of bees here, so they should be well pollinated.

So, presumably tomatillos are male and female? Or are they trans, or still questioning? We get plenty of bees here, so they should be well pollinated.
    I don't think you have to pair a male tomatillo plant with a female tomatillo plant so all the plants must have both bits but also developed a way to stop themselves self pollinating. Inasmuch as I understand it ( which is obviously not very much at all) this is to help the species develop stronger fruits ( a bit like avoiding incest) although plenty of plants can self pollinate including tomatoes (although tomatillos not being a type of tomato despite the name).   
    I'm not sure we covered this in my biology O level :anguished: .
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    It's Salsa Verde time
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    Sounds interesting. Going to ask the wife who has a degree in plants if we can see if we can source them.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    They're so good that Fender named one of their colours after them.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    Tomatillos are great. Yes,  straggly as hell but should crop heavily and fresh tomatillos are a bugger to find so enjoy them.  Lotta salsa verde loveliness:)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18756
    ^ Or a small paintbrush. 
    Although Chillidoggy has to understand that only works if he uses the paintbrush whilst dressed as a bee and wiggling his bottom. It's the only way to fool the tomatillos, they are a relatively smart plant. And that video evidence of him doing this shared online would also help. In some way. It's science. 
    Works a treat for Robert & Toyah...