XLR killswitch wiring help

What's Hot

Please can anyone wade in with their superior technical knowledge and assist me please. 

I'm wanting to build a simple DPDT latching kill switch for use with a dynamic headset mic. 

The diagrams I have found online say to short pins 2 & 3 together but will this circuit pop?

Should/could I add a cap and resistor just in case phantom power is ever brought into play? 

TIA
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Shorting pins 2 and 3 together will do it, and ignores phantom power since it's equal on both cores. Don't connect anything to pin 1.

It's *possible* it could pop, but not very likely... if there's no DC present on the line - which a proper balanced circuit won't have - then it won't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    ICBM said:
    Shorting pins 2 and 3 together will do it, and ignores phantom power since it's equal on both cores. Don't connect anything to pin 1.

It's *possible* it could pop, but not very likely... if there's no DC present on the line - which a proper balanced circuit won't have - then it won't.
    That's great to know. Thanks for your invaluable help as always. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom