Telecaster refinish suggestions needed

What's Hot
SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 665
Going to get my much abused 1990 ‘52 reissue refinished. 

It was bought off a semi-retired professional musician in the mid-90s and at that stage it had already been refinished on the back and sides in clear nitro. It smelled of cigarettes and my Dad drove me across country to get it.

I’m thinking surf green over shell pink with a light to medium relic.

What other colour a over colour b combinations do people like? I’m not bothered about it being vintage authentic in any way, I also don’t particularly like colours over sunburst, as I find sunburst quite uninteresting.

Lots of pics please!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 592
    I'll read this thread with interest as I'm in the same position with a fairly battered 2000 sunburst US Tele.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 5934
    Bright neon pink with silver flake.

I genuinely think it'd look sick but I've never seen one. Maybe a reason for that. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 10987
    If you're definitely thinking colour over colour - which a lot of people hate, and will probably say so - then on a maple-necked Tele I would quite like black over candy apple red, or black over candy tangerine.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 4908
    Philly_Q said:
    If you're definitely thinking colour over colour - which a lot of people hate, and will probably say so - then on a maple-necked Tele I would quite like black over candy apple red, or black over candy tangerine.
    I bought a player tele recently with the intention of refinishing, it came black with a maple neck and I'm quite taken with it so will probably leave as is. It has a black scratchplate too which I feel enhances the look.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 665
    edited July 26
    Philly_Q said:
    I think colour over colour is what it’s going to be. This is one of the few examples of the green/pink combo I could find 

https://nl.pinterest.com/pin/513269688767432920/

In terms of your suggested combo I found this https://www.someneckguitars.com/products/fender-custom-shop-52-telecaster-relic-black-over-candy-apple-red-2016?fbclid=IwAR2osKvB4QyYcAkmyrF-aQYUI3fBoLT3i8kPceN4qQGYKGpyfbgQQsd8e4s
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 1908
    I once saw a Strat which was olympic white over dakota red, neither colour of which I like on their own but relic’d and one over the other I thought looked really cool.  Another one I quite like is shell pink over sparkling candy apple red.  Great thread  :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 10987
    tony99 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I bought a player tele recently with the intention of refinishing, it came black with a maple neck and I'm quite taken with it so will probably leave as is. It has a black scratchplate too which I feel enhances the look.
    I've got a black '52 Hot Rod, with a white scratchplate.  I think it looks much better than boring butterscotch.

Philly_Q said:
    I think colour over colour is what it’s going to be. This is one of the few examples of the green/pink combo I could find 

In terms of your suggested combo I found this https://www.someneckguitars.com/products/fender-custom-shop-52-telecaster-relic-black-over-candy-apple-red-2016?fbclid=IwAR2osKvB4QyYcAkmyrF-aQYUI3fBoLT3i8kPceN4qQGYKGpyfbgQQsd8e4s
    The green and pink looks good... sort of ice-cream colours.  And I may have been thinking of that exact 2016 black over red model, I almost bought one of those but I could never find anything which confirmed what the neck profile was - now I know!
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 730

That looks great - definitely da bomb.

If you get it back to you looking as good, then I might buy a secondhand Player and follow !
    Can someone suggest who could do this sort of work?  My Tele has the lacquer flaking off the neck, which also needs sorting.  
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 5708
    I reckon maybe a butterscotch over white primer kinda look. 

With a bakelite guard. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 674
    Fiesta red over desert sand maybe 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 8037
    Offset said:
    Can someone suggest who could do this sort of work?  My Tele has the lacquer flaking off the neck, which also needs sorting.  
    @iamf68 has done great stuff for me. Always been happy with it. 
    munckee said:
    Offset said:
    Many thanks.  Will PM.
    Offset said:
    munckee said:
    Offset said:
    Many thanks.  Will PM.  Edit - 'User not found' :-(
    Iamf68 is his username. 
    munckee said:
    Iamf68 is his username. 
    I may be thick but user not found still the msg, Do you have an email address?  PM me :-)
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 1655
    It's @lamf68 (with an 'L').
    Many thanks.  PM sent.
    I must have messaged him 30 times at least how could I not know that?