New Dream Theater album announced, hurrah

What's Hot

Comments

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    viz said:

I LOOVE the As I Am solo - love the way it goes bluesy at the end. Go on, we know you can play it, post your version ;)
    It's my favourite one of his apart from Another Day. He just goes for it, and yeah the bluesy bit and the bluesy shreddy bit before it are awesome. 

There is no way I can play it, my picking is not that good. I can do an approximation of that kind of thing using my cheating technique, but not picking every note. His technique is nuts and his sheer finger speed in one bit - never mind the picking - is incredibly fast too (bars 10-11 of the solo in the music I have, the little pentatonic lick before the big run up leading to the part when he goes properly ballistic - I had to look at it again to check it was as mad as I remembered :) ). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not going to rate each album but the best 5 are I&W, Awake, SFAM, SDOIT & Octavarium.

I really enjoyed/enjoy ADTOE too, I like how it mirrors I&W.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited August 2021
    Not going to rate each album but the best 5 are I&W, Awake, SFAM, SDOIT & Octavarium.

Agreed. These are my go to DT albums – you really can’t go wrong with any of them. Albums after that have some good moments but are mostly a bit meh. 

EDIT: To be honest, the second disc of Six Degrees is better than anything they’ve released since Octavarium by far.
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    beed84 said:
    Not going to rate each album but the best 5 are I&W, Awake, SFAM, SDOIT & Octavarium.

Agreed. These are my go to DT albums – you really can’t go wrong with any of them. Albums after that have some good moments but are mostly a bit meh. 

EDIT: To be honest, the second disc of Six Degrees is better than anything they’ve released since Octavarium by far.

Yes, that piece is totally amazing. If I ever composed and created anything as complete and beautiful and satisfying as that I'd be very happy indeed.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.

@ HerbieTheRadDorklift  How do you mean? I’m listening to it trying to think of parallels but it’s eluding me!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    This thread prompted me to listen to I&W and Awake again. Man those albums are great. Could never really get on with much else though.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    viz said:
    Can we all just agree on these marks out of 100 please.

When dream and day unite - 6
    Images and words - 9
    Marquee (live) - 8
    Tokyo (live) - 8
    Awake - 10
    Falling into infinity - 4
    Livetime (live) - 6
    Metropolis - 8
    6 degrees - 10
    Train of Thought - 7
    Budoken (live) - 7
    Octavarium - 7
    Score (live) - 8
    Systematic Chaos - 6
    Black clouds - 7
    Dramatic turn of events - 5
    Self-titled - 5
    Boston (live) - 7.5
    The Astonishing - 7
    Distance over time - 8
    London (live) - 7
    View from the top of the world - ?
    FTFY
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Reverend said:
    viz said:
    Can we all just agree on these marks out of 100 please.

When dream and day unite - 6
    Images and words - 9
    Marquee (live) - 8
    Tokyo (live) - 8
    Awake - 10
    Falling into infinity - 4
    Livetime (live) - 6
    Metropolis - 8
    6 degrees - 10
    Train of Thought - 7
    Budoken (live) - 7
    Octavarium - 7
    Score (live) - 8
    Systematic Chaos - 6
    Black clouds - 7
    Dramatic turn of events - 5
    Self-titled - 5
    Boston (live) - 7.5
    The Astonishing - 7
    Distance over time - 8
    London (live) - 7
    View from the top of the world - ?
    FTFY
    Lol ta :D
  • Maybe I'm the only one that likes Falling Into Infinity. 

• Maybe I'm the only one that likes Falling Into Infinity. 
    I feel like I have this album and I’m not sure why… maybe I should actually listen to it.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Maybe I'm the only one that likes Falling Into Infinity. 
    I feel like I have this album and I’m not sure why… maybe I should actually listen to it.
    I like Peruvian Skies and that instrumental one, what’s it called, kettle something, or something like that
    Oh yes. Hell’s Kitchen. 
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    Maybe I'm the only one that likes Falling Into Infinity. 
    As mentioned above, Hell’s Kitchen is brilliant as is Lines In The Sand. Those two tunes are as good as anything they’ve done (IMO) and make up for the rest of the album, save for New Millenium - that’s a good tune too. 

I dunno, I just find they wear their influences a little too much on their sleeves at times. They peaked at Awake for me which is a 10/10, a brilliant album… even if I can’t unhear Operation: Mindcrime now :grimace:  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:

@ HerbieTheRadDorklift  How do you mean? I’m listening to it trying to think of parallels but it’s eluding me!
    Didn't see this reply.

Basically every song on A Dramatic Turn is "copied" or influenced by the same song on I&W.

There's a blog about it somewhere, but off the top of my head listen to Lost Not Forgotten then listen to Under a Glass Moon.
    Oh awesome, I’ll have a look, thanks!!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Their new album is out today.

Pros: Arguably the best album they've released since Portnoy left. Has some good moments.
    Cons: Overall quite bland and unimaginative like their previous Portnoy-less albums.

They made their best music years ago, and they all have Portnoy in, so I'll stick with them.
    Yep, vinyl copy arrived yesterday; I thought it was good, I didn’t find any amazing hooks yet but it will probably grow on me as it becomes familiar. The Alien is quite good. Then today it arrived again, this time the huuuuge box set, which I don’t actualy recall buying. 
  • I told myself I probably wasn't going to buy it.
    Then I accidentally bought it. Oops. 
    Picked up the new Thrice at the same time.
    Haven't listened to it yet but I don't really remember the singles from DT. They certainly weren't memorable... so will have to wait and see how the album goes over with me.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    viz said:

Didn't see this reply.

Basically every song on A Dramatic Turn is "copied" or influenced by the same song on I&W.

There's a blog about it somewhere, but off the top of my head listen to Lost Not Forgotten then listen to Under a Glass Moon.
    I absolutely don't get that at all!?!? Can't see any mirroring at all personally.
    I keep forgetting to investigate and don’t know the songs well enough on adtoe, but am determined to try and hear this mirroring.