What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Xmen Apocalypse- children enjoyed it. I thought it was the best of the franchise so far (damping with faint praise). A charitable 6.5/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    breakstuff;1088034" said:
    We Are Twisted Fucking Sister!

Wow,those guys really payed their dues on the live circuit before getting a deal.Really good watch and they all come across as really decent guys,especially Dee Snider.
    Where did you find that?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Philly_Q;1066972" said:
    Sporky said:

I saw Pacific Rim yesterday. How del Toro gets booked for this work is beyond me. He managed to make a film of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots that's considerably worse in every regard than Battleship was. 3/11

Actually, Battleship is on now, and it's perfectly enjoyable. Crap but enjoyable, and vastly superior to Pacific Rim. 6/9

I wouldn't go so far as to say Battleship is actually better than Pacific Rim, but you do have a point.

I fear del Toro is becoming the new Peter Jackson.  I wish he'd go back to basics and do a low budget movie in Spain or Mexico.  That said, I haven't seen Crimson Peak yet...
    Crimson Peak is good. Something of a return to form and stylistically more familiar for him than the shitfest that is Pacific Rim.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27005
    It Follows. 

Yeah, er, quite good, I guess. But also hugely overrated. The lo-fi synth-heavy soundtrack was the highlight.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    I thought It Follows was excellent. Horror with a slight arthouse bent.
    Use Your Brian
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12368
    Zombie Strippers. Yeah, yeah, I should have known, but.....oh dear. :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27005
    It's not at all that it's bad. It's good. I've just spent most of the last year being told by the entire internet that it's AMAZING when really it's just a good film, but not a great one.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10273
    EricTheWeary;1088093" said:
    [quote="breakstuff;1088034"]We Are Twisted Fucking Sister!

Wow,those guys really payed their dues on the live circuit before getting a deal.Really good watch and they all come across as really decent guys,especially Dee Snider.
    Where did you find that? [/quote]

@EricTheWeary It's on Netflix.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    EricTheWeary;1088093" said:
    [quote="breakstuff;1088034"]We Are Twisted Fucking Sister!

Where did you find that? [/quote]

@EricTheWeary It's on Netflix.
    Ahh. We've got Now, Amazon and Virgin but no Netflix. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    10 Cloverfield Lane was canny.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    It's not at all that it's bad. It's good. I've just spent most of the last year being told by the entire internet that it's AMAZING when really it's just a good film, but not a great one.
    I did think it was amazing, but I can understand that it might not quite live up to expectations if you've heard loads of hype before seeing it.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    The Visit.

The story was pretty good, with a decent plot twist, but the ending was inexcusably pathetic. Which was a massive let down 4/10

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Caught The Prestige on BBC 2 last night, one of Nolans films I hadnt seen. Christian Bales London accents a bit hammy but overall a decent film, the twists turns and flashback/jumps in story reminded me a bit of Memento. One I'll probably watch again.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    Brooklyn

Beautifully-made period drama, not massively exciting but a good story and with a surprise (not quite a plot twist) at the end... if you haven't read the book - I haven't, but my wife has, and she actually thinks the film is better.

8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24280
    Spotlight.

Brilliant and horrifying.

9/10
    Black Death. Mellisandra looks much better as a redhead then a blonde. Sean Bean dies, as usual. Eddie Redmayne out acts everyone else. Not a bad film, but the whole thing looks like it cost about fifty quid to make.
    boogieman said:
    Black Death. Mellisandra looks much better as a redhead then a blonde. Sean Bean dies, as usual. Eddie Redmayne out acts everyone else. Not a bad film, but the whole thing looks like it cost about fifty quid to make.
    For anyone captivated by @boogieman's review, it's on Horror Channel tonight at 9pm.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q;1090117" said:
    boogieman said:

For anyone captivated by @boogieman's review, it's on Horror Channel tonight at 9pm.
    That made oi larf. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Last film I saw was Paddington, before that, The Artist, before that, can't remember......
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    edited May 2016
    I'm watching Hercules - the Kellan Lutz version, not the Dwayne Johnson one.

I've seen it before, but I'd completely forgotten how bloody awful it is.  In fact I'd forgotten everything about it - or mixed it up with Immortals, or the other Hercules film, or the equally dreadful Conan remake.  Gosh, it's shit.