What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Fantastic Beasts was good escapist fun, i'd give that a solid 8/10

Arrival was more thought provoking, 9/10  (however went at 12.20 first showing of the day and it was bloody freezing)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dr Strange - Good Marvel nonsense.Could have been complete shite without Mr Cumberband. 

Lucy - Can't make my mind up about this one. Really good and really rubbish in equal measure.
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Doctor Strange - exactly what I expected formulaic family fun for the family that doesn't like surprises. The kids liked it.

Arrival - not at all what I expected. Really enjoyed the story and an unexpected end. Very original.
  • My Scientology Movie.  Not a complete success but interesting and enjoyable none-the-less. 

6/10

• Batman and Robin - 5/10

Not a bad film, well actually quite awful, but in possibly a good way. Suits with nipples on , bond-esque one-liners and high camp.

In short: a bit of nonsense fun that reminded me of Mystery Men. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    Jason Bourne - meh - weakest of the lot (except for the bit with the SWAT van clearing its own path) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    Lots of long flights this week.  Films watched that (a) I remember, and (b) I stayed awake through, in order of good to awful:

Kung Fu Panda 3
    Deadpool
    Captain America: Civil War
    Jason Bourne
    Star Trek: Beyond
    Suicide Squad
  • The Godfather and The Godfather Pt II

Another two films that I have not seen in a long time, and as good as ever.  I'm going to watch Allied, so I probably won't catch The Godfather Pt III until later on.  I've never seen it but if it's half as good as the previous two I'm in all the way.

On a note about the first two: they are very long, however, like Goodfellas , the there is no clock watching while waiting for the end to wrap up.  Pt II rolls in at over 3 hours 20 minutes: luckily Francis Ford Coppola put in an intermission at about the two hour point.

Some great acting performances in both.  
  • Allied - 7.5/10

Much better than I expected.  A good going thriller that entertained.  The twist was not what I expected and the reveal was well done too, and for me, much better than Arrival.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited December 2016
    Accountant - very good. Your typical action movie but well casted, with few twists and I liked the autistic angle in it. Ben Affleck's performance is not bad at all. Recommended .    8/10

Sully - well, that's why I love Eastwood as a director. He tells the story from people's point of view - doesn't focus only on the story itself, but on people's emotions - and they are intense in here. Emergency landing on Hudson river in 2009 - spectacular, brave...raising a lot of questions too. Tom Hanks is absolutely remarkable - great movie. Strong 8.5/10 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Talking of Tom Hanks, watched Captain Philips on th' Kodi, bloody good film, kept the tension up right through, well acted barking, druuggy Somalian pirates, worth a watch....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Just took in a low budget one, but really good: "seven years". A Spanish one. Four scheming workmates might be in serious trouble unless one of them spends 7 years in jail: they get to pick out a "culprit". I pretty much enjoyed this film.
  • paulnb57 said:
    Talking of Tom Hanks, watched Captain Philips on th' Kodi, bloody good film, kept the tension up right through, well acted barking, druuggy Somalian pirates, worth a watch....

I like that movie very much - Hanks is really good there too - and THAT last scene - once he's checked by military doctor and is in shock - is one of my very favourite scenes ever acted. He is so convincing it gets me every time. Spectacular . 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The Godfather and The Godfather Pt II

Another two films that I have not seen in a long time, and as good as ever.  I'm going to watch Allied, so I probably won't catch The Godfather Pt III until later on.  I've never seen it but if it's half as good as the previous two I'm in all the way.

On a note about the first two: they are very long, however, like Goodfellas , the there is no clock watching while waiting for the end to wrap up.  Pt II rolls in at over 3 hours 20 minutes: luckily Francis Ford Coppola put in an intermission at about the two hour point.

Some great acting performances in both.
    Good fellas is long but very differently paced to the 'fathers. In a rather Hitchcock style he made it in response to criticism that he couldn't make a fast paced film. He very much succeeded!
  • Sausage Party, yes that one with the talking food. Utter, Utter, UTTER, shit. I mean really bad, I could only stick 20 mins of it.

0/10

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Sully, decent watch, Hanks is superb in it, Solid 8/10 
    Finding Dory , it was ok, Kids liked it but just a bit disjointed for me 7/10 
  • Sausage Party, yes that one with the talking food. Utter, Utter, UTTER, shit. I mean really bad, I could only stick 20 mins of it.

0/10

@Col_Decker , you can't give Sausage Party a 0/10 until you have seen 50 Shades of Black. Saying that, I would not want you to see 50 Shades of Black. 
  • @ennspek , you are gift that keeps giving, and that gift is wisdom.

I'm settling down with Part 3 tonight. I've not heard good things about it so my expectations are low; however, I'm sure that it's not going to be atrocious, just the weakest of a particularly strong series.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12369
    @ennspek , you are gift that keeps giving, and that gift is wisdom.

I'm settling down with Part 3 tonight. I've not heard good things about it so my expectations are low; however, I'm sure that it's not going to be atrocious, just the weakest of a particularly strong series.
    Haven't watched them for ages but I seem to remember part 3 being equally as good as the first two. 
  • boogieman said:
    @ennspek , you are gift that keeps giving, and that gift is wisdom.

Haven't watched them for ages but I seem to remember part 3 being equally as good as the first two. 
    @boogieman, I've just finished part 3 this evening and not bad. Some of the acting was not quite what I would expect, noticeably so in fact, but I still enjoyed the film.

It still had the intrigue and plot that I enjoyed about the first one.

All in all a great trilogy.