What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• FazerFazer Frets: 467
    west said:

Check out michael powell's peeping tom 1960  ;)  unless you allready have ...
    I saw it years and years ago and it's been on my rewatch list for ages, thanks for reminding me + I've had a few other Powell & Pressburger films lined up for a binge - A Matter Of Life And Death, Colonel Blimp, etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    The Bar (or 'El Bar' given it's original title) - The plot is stupid but it's quite a fun film. Explores the old 'humans really are pieces of shit' narrative once more but there are some chortle-worthy moments.

6.5/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Fazer said:
    west said:

I saw it years and years ago and it's been on my rewatch list for ages, thanks for reminding me + I've had a few other Powell & Pressburger films lined up for a binge - A Matter Of Life And Death, Colonel Blimp, etc
    cool , im a big fan of the archers  aka p+p  although i had a rather dissapointing watch of black narcissus recently , blimp has to be one of the best examples of true friendship in film , its been ages since i watched it , amolad is fab ! even stood on braunton burrows where niven er lands lol ...  also  i love michael powell's age of consent with a young hellen mirren and james mason ....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22856
    west said:
    i had a rather dissapointing watch of black narcissus recently
    I'm surprised, I absolutely love that film!
    Philly_Q said:
    west said:
    i had a rather dissapointing watch of black narcissus recently
    I'm surprised, I absolutely love that film!
    could have been a wrong mood thing but mr dean/ david farrar was really pissing me off lol ...
    west said:
    Fazer said:
    west said:

cool , im a big fan of the archers  aka p+p  although i had a rather dissapointing watch of black narcissus recently , blimp has to be one of the best examples of true friendship in film , its been ages since i watched it , amolad is fab ! even stood on braunton burrows where niven er lands lol ...  also  i love michael powell's age of consent with a young hellen mirren and james mason ....
    I'm not really a "melodrama" kind of guy, so I really have to be in the frame of mind where i can be receptive to watching some older films.
    What I remember of Black Narcissus from watching it a few years ago is the amazing scene where she goes wild-eyed and windswept, and tries to push the other over the cliff edge.
    I even made a clip of that bit.
    (And the amazing painted sets)
    Yes thats a great scene !  and your right the mattes are stunning an art in itself ...  ive never seen gone to earth , i have it but the watch pile is groaning ,much wenlock is local ( the birth of the modern olympic games )  and i once did a band shoot there and met gabby drake which was nice ......
    Yes, the watch pile! (I have "age of consent" in that watch pile too).
    Hmmm, I think I have a slight reluctance to watch some of these older films, though I did recently rewatch Gone To Earth, in that they make me feel sad and uneasy about what we have lost.
    edited July 2018
    yep , but at least we have the legacy to viddy well !  hollywood ,cgi and michael bay have a lot to answer for lol .... p.s indie films still have some real gems though ...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    Lady Bird

I knew nothing about this but MrsICBM wanted to see it. Very good - subtle, but extremely well-observed and acted. Not laugh-out-loud funny, but quietly amusing.

It probably does help if you have a teenage daughter, although since everyone has presumably been a teenager at some point it should work for most people...

8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    ICBM said:
    Lady Bird

I knew nothing about this but MrsICBM wanted to see it. Very good - subtle, but extremely well-observed and acted. Not laugh-out-loud funny, but quietly amusing.

It probably does help if you have a teenage daughter, although since everyone has presumably been a teenager at some point it should work for most people...

8/10
    Good to read your recommendation. It's on my to-watch list for months and never got around to see it. 
    I have finished "Manhunt: Unabomber" series of 8 episodes altogether. 
    I think it was v.good. Well paced, acted - fairly short to keep it entertaining (same goes for recent "Waco"). 

7/10
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
    B&W
    In Farsi, with subtitles (cos my Iranian isn't so hot).
    Exquisite.

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Grunfeld said:
    A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
    B&W
    In Farsi, with subtitles (cos my Iranian isn't so hot).
    Exquisite.

Excellent film!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Unbreakable

What with Glass being announced I thought I ought to see this. It's.. not bad.. I guess? Seems to get a lot of buzz from nerds, presumably because it's a comic book thing, but while it's obviously one of Shamamanamalyamansmans's best (not hard) it's not *that* good. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    Sightseers

A Film 4 black comedy about a couple who go off in a caravan to see exciting things like Keswick pencil museum. Made me laugh. A lot. 9/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Unbreakable

What with Glass being announced I thought I ought to see this. It's.. not bad.. I guess? Seems to get a lot of buzz from nerds, presumably because it's a comic book thing, but while it's obviously one of Shamamanamalyamansmans's best (not hard) it's not *that* good. 

It's interesting that you're seeing it from a different perspective.  The Sixth Sense was a huge hit and Shyamalan was flavour of the month, then he did Unbreakable and it was pretty good, not amazing, but he still had a lot of goodwill so it got good reviews.

Then he did Signals, The Village, Lady in the Water, The Happening.... and became a laughing stock which he's only slightly redeemed with his last couple of films.

So yes, Unbreakable was probably not quite as good as it seemed at the time.

Philly_Q said:
    Unbreakable

It's interesting that you're seeing it from a different perspective.  The Sixth Sense was a huge hit and Shyamalan was flavour of the month, then he did Unbreakable and it was pretty good, not amazing, but he still had a lot of goodwill so it got good reviews.

Then he did Signals, The Village, Lady in the Water, The Happening.... and became a laughing stock which he's only slightly redeemed with his last couple of films.

So yes, Unbreakable was probably not quite as good as it seemed at the time.

Agreed.

Also - I actually always liked "Signs". It has a feel and J.Phoenix is great in it.
    BigBearKris said:
    Also - I actually always liked "Signs". It has a feel and J.Phoenix is great in it.

It's fine, but the extremely weak "Shyamalan Twist" at the end lets it down.  And then we got The Village, where I guessed the twist in the first five minutes - plus it has an utterly ridiculous performance from that twonk Adrien Brody.

The most recent one I've seen was The Visit, which I liked but then I watched the extras on the Blu-ray - there's an amazingly pretentious little documentary going on about Night returning to his roots to recapture his "vision".  Which basically means it's low budget because no-one would give him any money.

I've been told Split is OK.  And of course it leads on to Glass so I guess I should watch it.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Stewart Lee: Content Provider. I think this counts as a film. On the iPlayer if you’re interested. I never quite know what what to say about Lee, I think when it works it works really well but the misses are just as big. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.