What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72498
    edited May 2019
    The Passenger

Jack Nicholson and Maria Schneider in Antonioni's 1975 film. I've seen it before, but so long ago that I couldn't really remember much about it.

Beautifully shot, mesmerising use of sound, well acted (Nicholson especially) but in the end I found it a bit shallow, because the characters aren't really allowed to develop much depth. I know that's possibly part of the point, that we are all just passing through...

8/10

Oddly, since posting this I’ve been thinking about this film more than any other I’ve seen in years. I think I’ll have to get a copy and watch it again. Perhaps not that shallow after all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7111
    sinbaadi said:
    tony99 said:
    I haven't seen Free Solo yet, I know I'll love it but the perfect pre-cursor would be (I presume) Valley Uprising; basically a fascinating and very well structured history of the various generations of climbers who've tested themselves against the challenging peaks within Yosemite. Always going one better than the previous guy/girl, some of the characters are very interesting and their rivalries bitter. 

8 crampons outta 10, Well worth a look.
    Try The Dawn Wall, too. 
    Seen it mate, yeah very good. The North Face is another, about the Eiger obviously. 

Touching the Void remains my favourite mountain climbing murder mystery tbh
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27138
    Avengers: Endgame

I loved it times 3000.
    <snip>
    Maybe don't put potential movie spoilers in a movie thread when it's only been out a week and a bit??
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Django (1966) by Sergio Corbucci.
    Apparently it's become a cult classic. Can't think why, Sergio Leone creams all over Corbucci.
    Low budget nonsense desperately trying to prolong the action with pointless and counterproductive activities in order to fill a feature length film. Very disappointing.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    Sassafras said:
    Apparently it's become a cult classic. Can't think why, Sergio Leone creams all over Corbucci.
    Low budget nonsense desperately trying to prolong the action with pointless and counterproductive activities in order to fill a feature length film. Very disappointing.
    Have you not seen it before?  I love it, but I've seen it many times and I admit there may be an element of nostalgia.  But some of the Leone westerns have some pretty creaky acting and weak plot points too.

Anyway, Django has the best theme song ever.  And Franco Nero is as cool as fuck.  And it's a million times better than the Tarantino version.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    edited May 2019
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    Have you not seen it before?  I love it, but I've seen it many times and I admit there may be an element of nostalgia.  But some of the Leone westerns have some pretty creaky acting and weak plot points too.

Anyway, Django has the best theme song ever.  And Franco Nero is as cool as fuck.  And it's a million times better than the Tarantino version.
    No, I'd never seen it till yesterday. I'd only heard of it as inspiring a lot of directors. That's why I was quite surprised that I was disappointed by it. It's not the worst spaghetti western I've seen but I was expecting a lot better of it.
    I agree Franco Nero was a very good choice for the lead but he was let down by the rest of the cast hamming it up to a spectacular degree.
    I'll give it another go soon. I just might not have been in the mood for a western.

Funnily enough, I quite enjoyed Tarantino's Django Unchained but only for Christoph Waltz's performance and Samuel L Jackson's portrayal of one of the most loathsome characters ever captured on film.
  • westwest Frets: 996
    check out corbuccis ...the great silence ... ;)  ive a soft spot for django too ...
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6171
    God's Own Country which is a sort of low-key "Brokeback on t' Moor". Great acting, and rural Yorkshire was as bleak as ever.  Ms Goldtop, being Austrian, required the subtitles to be on, then claimed they weren't helping much. Proper Yorkshire, it were. 7/10
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Mexico Barbaro  Quite bad Mexican anthology horror from 2014. Out of the eight short pieces, we thought one was pretty good, one was acceptable, and the rest went downhill from there.  2/10
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9703
    Lynyrd Skynyrd- Gone With the Wind. Documentary about the band starting with their formation and going up to the plane crash and beyond. Good rather than great and probably overlong at a whisky under three hours. Nonetheless well worth a watch.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    Happy Death Day
    Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow meet the slasher movie.  There's nothing really groundbreaking here, but it's quite clever and funny and I liked it a lot.
    Mexico Barbaro  Quite bad Mexican anthology horror from 2014. Out of the eight short pieces, we thought one was pretty good, one was acceptable, and the rest went downhill from there.  2/10
    Where did you see this? Is it on netflix?
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited May 2019
    Suspiria remake; not quite sure what happened there ... I mean I know it’s based around a satanic cult who worship the dark aspect of a trinity of goddesses...but everything else is a little too arty to make sense of just yet. Will need to watch again. 6.9/10

Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
    tony99 said:
    My wife bought the DVD - just from Amazon, far as I know. I dumped it off in a charity shop in Wokingham on Friday, so if you are really desperate to see it, I'll tell you which one ;) . (Wokingham town centre is mostly charity shops interspersed with coffee shops.)
    tony99 said:
    My wife bought the DVD - just from Amazon, far as I know. I dumped it off in a charity shop in Wokingham on Friday, so if you are really desperate to see it, I'll tell you which one ;) . (Wokingham town centre is mostly charity shops interspersed with coffee shops.)
    Appreciated, I'll PM you now !!
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Get Out

Loved it. A horror film from a different angle. Stirring a cup of tea will never sound the same again.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    edited May 2019
    After reading the sex pistols thread I fancied watching sid and Nancy again. Didn't end the way I remember? Has it been cut or am I just having major memory fail?
    Rewatched Kiki's Delivery Service, This is a classic for the GhiblI fans. Of course, as a grown man, I wasn't crying at the end  - that was just my pollen allergies ;)
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2422
    John Wick 3 

Absolute bananas. Needed less Halle Berry though.

8/10
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Watched the new live action Aladdin yesterday... I’m not a big fan of the Disney remakes but this is the best of the bunch so far . 
    Saw it in 4DX which was really good, best 4DX experience so far (previously having seen Infinity War and Endgame) . 

Its really well cast apart from Jafar who is just not evil enough.