What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    I Am Mother.

Tear jerking sci-fi from the good people at Netflix. Young girl is brought up by a robot. Hilary's Wank turns up and tries to keep young girl for herself. Robot mum is having none of it. Hilarity ensues.

Enjoyable but far fetched, think Freaky Friday meets Dune.

7 genetically engineered human embryos out of 10.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4918
    I watched Independance Day - Resurgence last night; it was quite good and only had a couple of cringeworthy scenes...
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    John Wick 3 on Tuesday 7:00pm......some duh sits across the aisle with smelly nachos but has the elegance to wolf ‘em down before the movie started. 

“Utter bollocks” was mentioned earlier....but I don’t know what you thought you were paying to see??

Great escapism, dogs were used well.....Ian McShane plays himself again.

8/10

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    SRich said:

Ian McShane plays himself again
    That's why he's so brilliant in Sexy Beast - the first time I saw that without knowing he was in it, I initially wondered if it was actually him, since the character is so much darker and nastier than he usually plays. I think he's better and more truly scary than Ben Kingsley, in fact.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    SRich said:

Ian McShane plays himself again
    That's why he's so brilliant in Sexy Beast - the first time I saw that without knowing he was in it, I initially wondered if it was actually him, since the character is so much darker and nastier than he usually plays. I think he's better and more truly scary than Ben Kingsley, in fact.
    he plays an extension of that character in 42 inch chest, well worth a look
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    A Ghost Story
    Despite featuring a "ghost" played by a man wearing a white sheet with eyeholes, this is neither a horror movie nor a comedy.  It's actually a very serious melancholic tale of love, memory and the passage of time.  To be honest I was incredibly bored for the first half of the film, but ultimately found it rather beautiful and touching.  But don't bother if you can't help laughing at a man in a sheet.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    For the first time in maybe 20 years, I’m currently re-watching Se7en. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck such a good film. So much more Hitchcockian than I remember. Shit Pitts finest hour and Gwyneth before she became a spinach* psychopath <3

* I love spinach, yo.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26991
    JDE said:
    For the first time in maybe 20 years, I’m currently re-watching Se7en. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck such a good film. So much more Hitchcockian than I remember. Shit Pitts finest hour and Gwyneth before she became a spinach* psychopath <3

* I love spinach, yo.
    Still a brilliant movie. It's interesting to watch now as it contains a lot of tropes that have become quite cliched, but then you remember it invented 75% of those tropes :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12315
    Us  Saw it last week with the family - it's a family kind of film in fact, if your kids are old enough =) . On the whole we all liked it: it had creepy moments that didn't rely on jump scares and there were moments that made you think. For some aspects of the story you need to just go with the flow and not question too much, but if you can do that, you'll have a good time. 7.5/10
    Saw that the other day, the husband was annoyingly rubbish in a crisis, all he did was bump into things and get injured. It was good but it was nowhere near Get Out, but then it wasn’t supposed to be, I found the juxtaposition between horror and comedy a bit jarring and unrealistic.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12315
    boogieman said:
    2001 A space odyssey. I realised last night I hadn’t actually seen this for about 30 years. Still very thought provoking and an iconic film, although the effects don’t look quite as gobsmacking as I remembered and there’s some very slow sections on the space ship. Dave shutting down Hal was a lot more emotional than I remembered.

I’ve also got Kubrick’s Paths of Glory recorded, I’ve never seen it but a couple of mates reckon it’s his best film. 
    Yeah I live 2001 but what does it mean? Especially the end sequence, Can we clear 10,000 pages for discussion please
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26991
    boogieman said:
    2001 A space odyssey. I realised last night I hadn’t actually seen this for about 30 years. Still very thought provoking and an iconic film, although the effects don’t look quite as gobsmacking as I remembered and there’s some very slow sections on the space ship. Dave shutting down Hal was a lot more emotional than I remembered.

I’ve also got Kubrick’s Paths of Glory recorded, I’ve never seen it but a couple of mates reckon it’s his best film. 
    Yeah I live 2001 but what does it mean? Especially the end sequence, Can we clear 10,000 pages for discussion please
    From reddit, the best short explanation I've seen:

The ending is largely symbolic, so take all of this with a grain of salt. The book explains things more explicitly, but I read it years ago. This is what I remember from it:

The black monolith you saw in the beginning of the film, and the one found buried on the moon, were placed there by a supremely advanced alien race as a way to nudge along the evolution of humanity. The first encounter with a monolith gave our ancient ancestors the knowledge of how to use tools. Next, the one on the moon pointed us farther out into space, toward Jupiter (and may have given us the ability to create artificial intelligence i.e., HAL, which was another massive leap in technology). Finally, Dave reaches the third monolith and is transformed into the next stage of human evolution, the Star Child seen in the final shot. The psychedelic light show before that represents the vast knowledge being given to him by the monolith, which our minds can't even comprehend (and also, possibly, him being transported across enormous oceans of time and space).

and

The expand on that further, The monoliths have the same dimensions as a wide cinema screen turned sideways. In the opening of the movie, there is a long shot of just black with the ominous chanting music that plays whenever a monolith is discovered. The screen represents the monolith, and the audience is being nudged forward then by it.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    I watched Aliens directors cut from my sick bed. I’ve only seen it about 8,000 times. Game over, man. Game. Over. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    Superman 2 - "The Donner Cut"

Some "interesting" alternative scenes and slightly different ending, but ultimately is not as good as the original film.  Your'e not really missing anything if you haven't seen it.   

Hail, Caesar

Coen Brothers satire on Hollywood in the 50s, with Josh Brolin and George Clooney. It got great reviews from the critics but much less so from the public... which makes sense, since I got the impression it would work much better if you know a lot about Hollywood in the 50s. If you don’t, it’s a bit laboured and unengaging.

6/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Hail, Caesar

Coen Brothers satire on Hollywood in the 50s, with Josh Brolin and George Clooney. It got great reviews from the critics but much less so from the public... which makes sense, since I got the impression it would work much better if you know a lot about Hollywood in the 50s. If you don’t, it’s a bit laboured and unengaging.

6/10
    Hail Caesar was enjoyable but you're right, familiarisation with the commie witch hunts may be required. The C-bros have done some fabulous work but No Country for Old Men is surely their masterpiece, the way they plaster the cinematography in gold and green, it's aesthetically perfect, and the plot soooo good.  I knew the book for a while, but it took me a few goes before the film worked for me. Stunning cinema.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The Shape of Water 

Splash for the post millennium without the charm.
    Rocketman

Quite a lot different from what I was expecting - more of a surreal musical than a biopic in the normal sense, and surprisingly emotive. Taron Egerton is brilliant, especially that all the singing is actually him.

It actually made Bohemian Rhapsody - which I also liked - seem rather ordinary. This was much more imaginative. My only reservation is that the ending was a bit abrupt and ‘easy’ - I would expect his real-life recovery to have been a lot more of a struggle.

9/10

Ed Wood

Tim Burton's homage to the B-movie director. I love Tim Burton's films, and I can see exactly why he wanted to make this - but it somehow falls a little flat and seems a bit laboured, despite an absolutely brilliant (and justifiably Oscar-winning) performance by Martin Landau. Johnny Depp again doesn't really convince when trying to play someone other than himself, although he isn't bad. It looks like Burton was trying to make a film about Ed Wood in the style of Ed Wood, and it doesn't quite work - it's not surreally bad enough, but he does capture some of the character.

8/10 (but Landau 10/10)

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    ennspek said:
    The Shape of Water 

Splash for the post millennium without the charm.
    But a bit more adult with full boob rather than just side boob shots..   :D
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Not a movie, but the new tv drama Too Old to Die Young is superb. It won’t be for everyone as the pace is slow. It’s pretty shocking in parts, not seen anything like it before. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O0KO8My-90g