What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    TBH no-one had to be very good at acting in Drive. It was more like a silent film but FWIW Christina Hendricks stole that particular show for me. Carey Mulligan wasn't bad either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10363
    ICBM said:
    earwighoney said:

A few years back around the time of 'Drive' he was ridiculously over hyped in someway almost like he was the second coming of Marlon Brando, Robert DeNiro etc combined. 
    He's like the second coming of Nicolas Cage.

Talking of Nicholas Cage, against my better judgement I watched Ghostrider the other day.

That's two hours of my life I'm not getting back. 

And what's with that bloody wig?

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited August 2019
    boogieman said:
     I can’t see anything great about him or his acting, yet he still gets the plum roles. 
    Cos the women love him, innit? especially the middle aged American, Ellen DeGeneres audience demographic. 
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23491
    boogieman said:
    ICBM said:
    earwighoney said:

A few years back around the time of 'Drive' he was ridiculously over hyped in someway almost like he was the second coming of Marlon Brando, Robert DeNiro etc combined. 
    I lol’d.  :)

I think he must have a load of dirt on film producers or be really well connected because I can’t see anything great about him or his acting, yet he still gets the plum roles. He was truly bloody awful in Drive. 
    I agree that Gosling is oddly wooden in many films, but go back and watch The Believer.  He's really good in it.
  • Bad Times at the El Royale

A decent enough film. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 998
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    ICBM said:
    earwighoney said:

I lol’d.  :)

I think he must have a load of dirt on film producers or be really well connected because I can’t see anything great about him or his acting, yet he still gets the plum roles. He was truly bloody awful in Drive. 
    I agree that Gosling is oddly wooden in many films, but go back and watch The Believer.  He's really good in it.
    half nelson is the stand out for me , drive was played exactly as it needed to be .blue valentine is cute destruction too.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24750
    ICBM said:
    earwighoney said:

Talking of Nicholas Cage, against my better judgement I watched Ghostrider the other day.

That's two hours of my life I'm not getting back. 

And what's with that bloody wig?

Cage is perfect in the right film.

Drive Angry was great fun. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23491
    I always think of Drive Angry as Ghost Rider 2.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6130
    I see Bladerunner 2049 is on Netflix.

My initial impressions of it at the cinema were bleak to say the least....I was clinically depressed at the time and the nature of the film (some of it hits close to home doesn’t it?) just destroyed me emotionally s But i’m willing to give it another shot in a more stable (ish) frame of mind. 

Anyone else come to appreciate it more on second viewing?

Like you I wasn't impressed at cinema. It seemed too slow - got the feeling the filmmaker was in love with the images and couldn't bear to cut them - and overly downbeat. Thought I'd give it a second try and got the Blu-ray and watched at home on TV screen. Enjoyed it more second time around and was able to appreciate the story in more depth. Scenes that seemed overlong at cinema worked much better on tv screen for some reason.
  • I watched an independent film on YouTube tonight called reset , time travel movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5586
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.
    Self indulgent drivel. Shot to look good but no real story as such to get drawn in to, just a series of scenes stitched together. I know that's his style and I usually get it and most of the time love it, but this time no. The end sequence which attempted to tie things together was over the top and I felt uncomfortable watching it knowing the real story.

Brad looked cool as and I did laugh a few times so I'll give it 3/10.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    I see Bladerunner 2049 is on Netflix.

My initial impressions of it at the cinema were bleak to say the least....I was clinically depressed at the time and the nature of the film (some of it hits close to home doesn’t it?) just destroyed me emotionally s But i’m willing to give it another shot in a more stable (ish) frame of mind. 

Anyone else come to appreciate it more on second viewing?

Blade Runner is possibly my all time favourite film. I've seen it way too many times to count, probably know it inside out scene by scene.

I really like 2049. I think its a good sequel to the original. Seen it a few times now, enjoy it every time. Stunning visually as well. I have it in 4k, which is pretty darned good. A lot of subtle parallels to the original as well, on top of the obvious nods. I think they managed to capture a similar atmosphere too, which for me was the main thing about the 82 film- the overall vibe visual and audio

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6276
    When you play never-heard-of-that roulette on Youtube you mostly get terrible made-for-TV stuff. Every now and then something gob-smacking turns up. This is one...

Seven Servants. Anthony Quinn at 82yo creating his own death, rather than waiting for Father Time to turn up. And he does it in the most bizarre (pseudo?) religious way possible, requiring 7 people to help. When the first is recruited, you think "WTF" but it keeps going in that direction.

This film is bizarre, thought-provoking, daft, wonderful. Lots of scenes, without the movie's context, would look and sound terrible. Thankfully, Quinn's is a huge and compelling acting presence that also, somehow, manages to be totally understated. My heart says 9/10, my head's still spinning and says 5/10!

Shot in 1996 by an Iranian director, for some reason. the movie never got released until fairly recently.

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    A Star is Born

I liked it, thought it was really good.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    Destroyer - I actually really enjoyed it. I have never thought much of Nicole Kidman, but she's really good in this. I also watched Dogville, pretty interesting idea, but a bit long
  • American Psycho  - Still cant make my mind up if it was utter crap or really good. 1/10 or maybe 8/10 :)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6130
    Alien Covenant. I didn't know this one existed until I spied it on Sainsbury's shelf. Directed by Ridley Scott in 2017. Good in parts but the scenario of landing on an alien planet that just happens to look like earth (how convenient!) is getting hackneyed and gave it the look and feel of a made-for-tv show - not what you expect from RS.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72900
    The Revenant

Leonardo DiCaprio improbably survives in the north American wilderness in winter. Fantastic cinematography, but despite the apparent intensity of DiCaprio's acting and some of the events I found it uninvolving, two-dimensional and predictable.

6/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    ICBM said:
    The Revenant

Leonardo DiCaprio improbably survives in the north American wilderness in winter. Fantastic cinematography, but despite the apparent intensity of DiCaprio's acting and some of the events I found it uninvolving, two-dimensional and predictable.

6/10
    I found it quite boring and I couldn't give a toss about DiCaprio's character.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Hunter Killer

A good old fashioned submarine based USSR vs USA tub thumper. Very much in the "Hunt for Red October" Tom Clancy vein without the obvious 'Crazy Ivan' stuff. Gerard Butler is a little more believable than previous efforts with seemingly a lot going on in his head (you can tell in the lingering face shots that he's the older experienced Captain who knows better than anyone else)   - Gary Oldman is a shouty version of himself. Nice set pieces (if you like submarines especially).......huge reliance on BIG NOISY armaments & impressive technology.

Suspend belief and lose yourself for a couple of hours.

7/10

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have"