What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11989
    Keiko said:
    Swallows & Amazons. BBC iplayer. When I was a young lad my best mate seemed to love this book. Always going on about morse code, the lake district, pen knives and stuff like that. I don't usually like films with posh kids in them but decided to watch it anyway just so I know what the story is about. The kids weren't that annoying in the end, but wow this was an incredibly boring film. I had to watch over 4 nights in 20 minute stints just to get through it. 2/10 from me. The book is probably a lot more interesting.
    My childhood recollections tell me it isn't :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23079
    edited April 30
    Offset said:
    Keiko said:
    Swallows & Amazons. BBC iplayer. When I was a young lad my best mate seemed to love this book. Always going on about morse code, the lake district, pen knives and stuff like that. I don't usually like films with posh kids in them but decided to watch it anyway just so I know what the story is about. The kids weren't that annoying in the end, but wow this was an incredibly boring film. I had to watch over 4 nights in 20 minute stints just to get through it. 2/10 from me. The book is probably a lot more interesting.
    My childhood recollections tell me it isn't :-)
    Yeah, it's one of the very few books I've ever abandoned after starting.  I remember it being on a holiday reading list they gave us in school.  There was a Gerald Durrell book as well, I'm not sure I even started that one.

And I've got through some boring books, I can tell you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7236
    edited April 30
    I’m about to press go on ‘ In the land of saints and sinners ‘ on Netflix. It’s a 2024 Liam Neeson film and a bit like Nic Cage , he’s someone whose talent or at least ability to choose a good role has diminished over time .

Lets hope this is Liam’s ‘The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent’

EDIT - was a good one thankfully , set in Ireland in 1974 , loads of nice scenery , no silly stereotypes , great cast too. I won’t spoil the story but it’s classic Neeson but toned down 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3050
    Hector and the Search for Happiness

I like Simon Pegg and Rosamund Pyke so was surprised I'd never heard of this 2014 film before.

The first 20 minutes is a bit of a mess as he makes his decision to leave the lovely Rosamund and travel abroad to find what 'happiness' is. It all seems a bit unlikely. Plus, it appeared to be more of a comedy style, which with Simon Pegg in, was expected, but it failed, it just wasn't funny and I nearly turned it off.

But when he went travelling it became a whole lot better. His serious scenes shone through (although the comedy attempts were all still lame).

The Christopher Plummer scenes towards the end were a bit daft too, but overall I enjoyed the film and would watch it again. In fact, I actually have a feeling it could become a favourite after a few viewings.

9/10
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1880
    In honour of the fact we have reach this page number I shall watch 633 Squadron this afternoon.
    I saw it last about 10 years ago and I remembered it being 'bigger' when I saw it in 1964.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

.That sounds like a challenge :-)
    Saw X (2023), Prime

A slight twist on the usual tried 'n' tested Saw plotline.  Against all expectations I really enjoyed this, but be warned - it's extremely gory even by the standards of previous outings.

6/10
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:

No, not really.  :3  But remember when you used to be able to get Wordsworth Modern Classics editions of famous old novels for 99p?  I picked up loads of those and it's a mystery to me why some books are regarded as "classics".  The Great Gatsby and Heart of Darkness spring to mind.  I slogged through both but I couldn't tell you anything about them, they left no lasting impression other than memories of boredom.
    ^^ I was a massive Anthony Burgess fan years ago, and Earthly Powers was one of my all-time favourite novels.  I tried re-reading it not that long ago and found it unreadable.  Super-turgid.  Odd how your tastes change.

I must be one of the rare fans of the genre who finds Kubrick's 'A Clockwork Orange' tedious as well.
    Offset said:
    ^^ I was a massive Anthony Burgess fan years ago, and Earthly Powers was one of my all-time favourite novels.  I tried re-reading it not that long ago and found it unreadable.  Super-turgid.  Odd how your tastes change.

I must be one of the rare fans of the genre who finds Kubrick's 'A Clockwork Orange' tedious as well.
    I love the film, it's one of my absolute favourites.  But I've never read any of Burgess's books.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 383
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:

No, not really.  :3  But remember when you used to be able to get Wordsworth Modern Classics editions of famous old novels for 99p?  I picked up loads of those and it's a mystery to me why some books are regarded as "classics".  The Great Gatsby and Heart of Darkness spring to mind.  I slogged through both but I couldn't tell you anything about them, they left no lasting impression other than memories of boredom.
    I felt the same way about The Last Of The Mohicans many years ago. I so wanted to like it, I just couldn't.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1369
    edited May 1
    Just out on Netflix this week - Triangle of Sadness - make it thru the first 15 or so minutes mess until they get the super-rich on the boat and strap yourself in . Easy to see why this won the Palme D'Or 2022.

Brutal take down of the ultra wealthy on a luxury cruise until ... well I don't want to spoil it...
    Woody Harrelson stars.

sample scene - the rich lady being poured champagne in the hot tub whilst she tells the crew member "y'know ...we're all equal aren't we...".

Highly recommended. 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15619
    Jurassic World - Dominion. Don't, just don't. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    I watched The Killing Fields the other night, I havent seen it since the 80's, its stood the test of time and is still very watchable, its very 80's though but still a very good watch.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 802
    edited May 1
    Offset said:

I read Earthly Powers when I was around twenty-five and thought it was great. Curious how you didn't like it on the re-visit, though; why was that?

I had a similar experience with John Fowles' The Magus. I was enraptured by it when I was twenty-three, but at forty-eight, I thought it was no more than very good. I think in some ways it's a young person's (man's?) book.
    Timcito said:
    Offset said:

I read Earthly Powers when I was around twenty-five and thought it was great. Curious how you didn't like it on the re-visit, though; why was that?

That's a very good question.  I think it's because I have a lot less time than I had in my early 20s when I first read it, and I also have a lot less patience.  'Earthly Powers' demands committed attention.  I also read a lot less fiction these days.

I should really try The Malayan Trilogy again - I know I still have Time For A Tiger lurking around the house somewhere.  It's a lot more digestible.  I have a signed hardcopy edition copy of You've Had Your Time too.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 802
    Offset said:
    Timcito said:
    Offset said:

That's a very good question.  I think it's because I have a lot less time than I had in my early 20s when I first read it, and I also have a lot less patience.  'Earthly Powers' demands committed attention.  I also read a lot less fiction these days.
    This may be a concerning trend for all of us in the digital age: we no longer have the sustained concentration to stick with longer texts that we had in the past. We've grown used to flitting from one screen to another, with little appetite for deep reading and deep concentration. I read The Pickwick Papers around the same time that I read Earthly Powers. I wonder if I could still get through a book of that length these days. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6527
    Spaceman

Adam Sandler, Netflix.

Absolutely pointless film with next-to-no actual plot and even less point.
    Avoid.

3/10

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3702
    Brio said:
    In honour of the fact we have reach this page number I shall watch 633 Squadron this afternoon.
    I saw it last about 10 years ago and I remembered it being 'bigger' when I saw it in 1964.

https://youtu.be/4OZq-tlJTrU?feature=shared 
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1499
    Monkey Man. 

Best film I’ve seen this year.