What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2375
    edited May 13

School for Scoundrels
    iPlayer 1960
    Classic Ealing! It's a time travel joy.
    Kind-hearted but weak-willed Henry Palfrey is cheated and abused by car salesmen, a head waiter, an upper-class cad and his employees. When charming April Smith is stolen away from him, Henry takes drastic action and enrols in the College of Lifemanship, run by Mr Potter, where he can learn to beat others in life.
    Terry Thomas and Ian Carmichael.
    Cad. Bounder. Shower. What ho old chap!

Excellently played and still engaging.

8/10

Oh and a lurverly Aston Martin DB3S 

Guide Aston Martin DB3S - Terry Thomass School for Scoundrels Bellini   Supercar Nostalgia
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12083
    The Spore (2021), Prime

This is fairly low-rent stuff and the plot is hardly ground-breaking - you can doubtless guess most of it from the title.  However, the storyline/narrative is a little more creative than usual within this sub-genre and there are a few scares, a fair bit of gore, some half-decent effects (non-CGI) and a slightly foreboding atmosphere.  It kept my attention fairly effectively and I must say it comfortably exceeded my admittedly low expectations.

Spot the nice little tribute in the end-credits.

Cautiously recommended with caveats if you're bored.

4.75/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 746
    edited May 15
    Villains Netflix 

Dark quirky comedy about two young thieves that break into a house looking for petrol and find the owners dark secret. Then the owners come home. Not exactly an original concept but rather well done. Quite enjoyable imo. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3645
    Lords of Doftown.

Its basically about when surfers started to skate, no skate parks so they started using the pools of empty holliday homes, its a decent movie, worth a watch.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 746
    Brian and Charles

Not sure if this is a work of a genius or simply ridiculous! 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1886
    robgilmo said:
    Lords of Doftown.

Its basically about when surfers started to skate, no skate parks so they started using the pools of empty holliday homes, its a decent movie, worth a watch.

Bollocks. that is a shit film.
    Watch Dogtown and Z-Boys instead. The real story.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I can't belive how angry robgilmo's post makes me.
    Grandad is shouting at clouds again...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23256
    Brio said:
    I thought you were just upset about the spelling.
    Nah. Just had a total failure of any basic commonsense/decency.
    Sorry Rob.
    Brio said:
    I can't believe how confused I am!
    Me too...
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1990
    rze99 said:

School for Scoundrels
    iPlayer 1960
    Classic Ealing! It's a time travel joy.
    Kind-hearted but weak-willed Henry Palfrey is cheated and abused by car salesmen, a head waiter, an upper-class cad and his employees. When charming April Smith is stolen away from him, Henry takes drastic action and enrols in the College of Lifemanship, run by Mr Potter, where he can learn to beat others in life.
    Terry Thomas and Ian Carmichael.
    Cad. Bounder. Shower. What ho old chap!

Excellently played and still engaging.

8/10

Oh and a lurverly Aston Martin DB3S 

Guide Aston Martin DB3S - Terry Thomass School for Scoundrels Bellini   Supercar Nostalgia
    That's a brilliant film. My only criticism is why they called the Aston Martin DB3S a Bellini in the film. Could have preceded the Bond Films to promote the marque. Therefore I give it 8/10 for the film but it gets another point for Alistair Simms untrimmed ear hair. Watch when he looks into the camera for the aside at the end of the film. Most impressive. Like a couple of ear muffs. 

Incidentally, Aston Martin were quite clever getting the Aston Martin into the Bond films. They parked it up outside the studios and removed the Aston Martin badges and waited until the producers asked what it was. That was their in". Maybe they did the same here. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• JEMJEM Frets: 136
    rze99 said:

School for Scoundrels
    iPlayer 1960

Utterly brilliant film. Thomas and Sim are both superb. "Hard cheese old boy!"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7264
    The Fall Guy,

The gorgeous Emily Blunt and a pretty convincing Ryan Gosling lead the cast in an action comedy that although formulaic is pretty entertaining. Hannah Waddington steals the show as an untrustworthy film producer but there’s not really a weak link in it . Solid 8 out of 10 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2028
    VimFuego said:
    half way through Oppenheimer; it's well cast, well shot, seems well written and a worthy biopic. Just it's, well a bit plodding I guess. Will finish it off tonight. 
    Plodding is exactly how I felt too. I ended up watching it in 3 sessions because it just wasn't gripping me in any way, but it won all the awards so ...   

Honestly, I was bored for most of it. Well acted and well shot and I usually like Nolan movies but I'd give this 5/10
    ^^ Weird the way Oppenheimer divides opinion... I was enthralled more or less throughout.
    Butt Boy (Shudder)

A boring office IT manager named Chip Gutchel goes for a prostate exam and discovers he, errr, likes shoving things up his bum.  He progresses from bars of soap and remote controls to the family dog, a baby and a small child... all vanish without a trace.  A cop named Russel Fox meets Chip at an AA meeting and - for reasons which were totally unclear to me - suspects Chip is to blame for the disappearances.

If this had been directed by Quentin Dupieux it probably would've been jolly good fun... but it wasn't, and it isn't.  The two lead performances aren't bad, and there is some humour but it's played in such a deadpan way that it almost passes you by.  The plot is, obviously, nonsense, but it frequently doesn't make sense even in it's own nonsensical world.  I kept thinking I must have missed a key scene or piece of dialogue to explain something... but no, they're just not there.

I didn't hate this, but it's very boring and really not worth the effort.   
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15668
    Chuffola said:
    VimFuego said:
    half way through Oppenheimer; it's well cast, well shot, seems well written and a worthy biopic. Just it's, well a bit plodding I guess. Will finish it off tonight. 
    Plodding is exactly how I felt too. I ended up watching it in 3 sessions because it just wasn't gripping me in any way, but it won all the awards so ...   

Honestly, I was bored for most of it. Well acted and well shot and I usually like Nolan movies but I'd give this 5/10
    yeah, I ended up watching it in 3 bouts (maybe that's down to my lack of attention spa...). In the end I thought it was really good, and I ended up enjoying the whole witch thing more than the A bomb thing (and it's always nice seeing Tony Stark get his comeuppance, he's such a cock). I'm glad they took their time with it rather than rush it through. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

^^ Thanks Phil.  I can't let your 90 minutes of audiovisual suffering go unacknowledged.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    ^^ Thanks Phil.  I can't let your 90 minutes of audiovisual suffering go unacknowledged.
    It would be a tough call between a single viewing of Oppenheimer or watching Butt Boy twice over.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom