Re-learning to play guitar

What's Hot
stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
Hi folks,

Since I've rejuvenated my interest in playing guitar my neighbour is now keen to re-learn too.

It's not economic (or possible) to refresh his old Hokada classical guitar so I've suggested he may wish to start from scratch and look at what's out there, given that tech and value have moved on in the last 40 years.

I recommended that he buy a used steel string given he'll not spend more than £75 ... what would be a good choice for a retired 70yo to start with?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5448
    It is impossible to give recommendations for specific brands or models in this price range. What you *can* do is pick something up second-hand which plays well. That is going to need some perseverance to find a bargain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Could possibly sell you a battered Yamaha steel string for £45 delivered...action is a little high though.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4096
    Whatever you do,  please don't buy an Encore guitar.   

An old guitar at a car boot sale would probably be totally fine with some new strings and a polish
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    In my view the most important thing is to get any guitar set up correctly otherwise, it will be a pain to play (literally sometimes). Invest in learning that simple skill. There are several good threads on this board and lots of stuff on the web.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1851
    In my view the most important thing is to get any guitar set up correctly otherwise, it will be a pain to play (literally sometimes). Invest in learning that simple skill. There are several good threads on this board and lots of stuff on the web.
    This. The set up is a priority for a newbie or re-learner. Well,everybody really but those people moreso.
  • Put an ad on your local Freecycle group 'WANTED - FULL-SIZE GUITAR' and see what turns up. If it's any good, spend the £75 on some new strings and a set-up.
  • Put an ad on your local Freecycle group 'WANTED - FULL-SIZE GUITAR' and see what turns up. If it's any good, spend the £75 on some new strings and a set-up.
    Very good advice, it's amazing what people want rid of, you can't lose this way and it will be local.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Totally agree about the set up ... I had no idea about Freecycle ... sounds like a great idea so I'll investigate.
    Thank you all once again ... this forum is brill! 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    The most ridiculously low priced acoustics with high quality/cost ratios are Yamahas IMHO. £75 is a very low budget and implies a lot of hunting around - probably for dross or a damaged instrument.

Can your neighbour really not stretch a little for a Yamaha F310 £119. For an extra £2.99 he could even get a sunburst one!

Yamaha F310 Acoustic Guitar in Natural Gloss Finish | PMT Online

Yamaha F310 Acoustic Guitar Brown Sunburstl From Rimmers Music
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    How bad is the Hokada? £75 would cover a decent amount of set-up work and might be enough to restore it if it’s not the top being warped or the frets coming out which is the problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    There's an Alvarez on sale at £80.00 in Acoustics£. Seems like a nice box.
  • The £99 Paul Bretts always seem to be recommended for this sort of thing, though I've never played one. I think they're going up to £109, although there's still at least one on Amazon for £99 as I type this.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    ICBM said:
    How bad is the Hokada? £75 would cover a decent amount of set-up work and might be enough to restore it if it’s not the top being warped or the frets coming out which is the problem.
    My Hokada classical is still in use every day, and was bought from Boosey & Hawkes in 1982 ish.  Still a lovely guitar.  It was the only casualty in a house move in 2006 when the headstock sheared off (I should have loosened the strings) but I’m glad I got it fixed.  
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    All valid inputs ... thanks.
    Sadly, he's gone off the idea of re-learning so nothing more to do.
    I've learned a bit though  :)

• JRgtarJRgtar Frets: 19
    At that price point, if you were looking for something new, you could look at Harley Benton…. I know now always popular, but they’re value-orientated.