What amp am I looking for?

What's Hot

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    What about a Tone King Imperial? Isn’t that what they’re supposed to be? BF cleans and Marshally OD in a lightweight 1x12 combo?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited August 2021
    What about a Tone King Imperial? Isn’t that what they’re supposed to be? BF cleans and Marshally OD in a lightweight 1x12 combo?
    Now you're talking. When Jack at Peach did the clean amp shoot out, I absolutely loved that amp. The cleans were exactly what I had in my Divided JRT 9/15 and miss but the dirty sound was good, too, and useable and more a clean with hair on sound rather than the big lead sound I'd ultimately want.

Also, as it doesn't have an FX loop, my time-based stuff wouldn't work with the OD channel going through the front and that's not a sound I like, but I'm at Guitar Guitar this week and will try what I can
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    The runt only has a volume and 3 way bright switch on the clean channel which seems a bit limiting, you’d really need to be happy with the base tone eq.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    Cos, you LOVED that Divided !
  • Don’t discount the Bluguitar Amp1 Iridium. I was aware of the Amp1 but wasn’t that convinced by some of the claims Thomas Blug was making about it. I held off for a good while in purchasing one, then watched this demo and it tipped me over the edge. It really is an excellent amp that will do exactly what you want.

https://youtu.be/ddhCPz8K5ok
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    @Kebabkid - actually, having re-read your original post, why wouldn't you be able to use modelling effectively with the Deluxe Reverb? Johnny Marr does exactly that... Boss GT-100 into one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Don’t discount the Bluguitar Amp1 Iridium. I was aware of the Amp1 but wasn’t that convinced by some of the claims Thomas Blug was making about it. I held off for a good while in purchasing one, then watched this demo and it tipped me over the edge. It really is an excellent amp that will do exactly what you want.

That’s not a bad shout
  • Don’t discount the Bluguitar Amp1 Iridium. I was aware of the Amp1 but wasn’t that convinced by some of the claims Thomas Blug was making about it. I held off for a good while in purchasing one, then watched this demo and it tipped me over the edge. It really is an excellent amp that will do exactly what you want.

I've had an AMP1 Silver edition for a few years now and it's my live/band amp. The clean channel (custom control set to the Fender side) isn't as quite good as a Deluxe, but close enough for live use, I think. Set over the other way to a Hughes & Kettner style clean, it's just as good - but not to my taste. The vintage channel is fantastic. I don't like the classic (AC/DC) or modern channels - the RevivalDRIVE into the clean channel is much nicer for those tones IMHO. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    dindude said:
    Don’t discount the Bluguitar Amp1 Iridium. I was aware of the Amp1 but wasn’t that convinced by some of the claims Thomas Blug was making about it. I held off for a good while in purchasing one, then watched this demo and it tipped me over the edge. It really is an excellent amp that will do exactly what you want.

That’s not a bad shout
    Cos, with the Mesa cab this could be a very very decent shout actually....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17605
    edited August 2021 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    @Kebabkid - actually, having re-read your original post, why wouldn't you be able to use modelling effectively with the Deluxe Reverb? Johnny Marr does exactly that... Boss GT-100 into one.

I don't think he used the modelling just the FX.

I've never heard modelling sound good into the front of a Fendery amp.
    tFB Trader
    It's really hard to find some proper clean playing with a DSL, but this demo from Jack is very good:

Clean Strat playing about halfway through.
    edited August 2021
    ICBM said:

I don't think he used the modelling just the FX.

I've never heard modelling sound good into the front of a Fendery amp.
    Exactly this. I wanted the option of the modelled amps and ODs to already augment my board but also act as an alternative or back-up. I even looked at the Line 6 HX Stomp as size-wise and application, that would've been good but I'm just not a fan of Line 6 FX. Unless you're using just the FX, I just don't think the amps would sound good through the DRRI.

@Wazmeister - the Divided was glorious (single clean channel with the option of 9 watts at 6V6 or 15 watts at EL34) and both choices were loud. Alas, the only cab I found it really liked was a 2x12 Tone Tubby. Given the weight of the head and the cab, plus I had to use a stepdown transformer as it was a US model, it was too much to lug around and so I moved to the Mesa Mark 5:25 head and mini recto slanted cab. Small, light and portable, loud and well spec'd but I didn't like the Overdrives on offer and it was explained to me that the reason they might be hard to dial in was they pre or post (can't remember which one).  

I'll look at the Blug although didn't the originals have terrible QC issues?

I have just returned from Guitar Guitar in Epsom and it was a flying stop and there wasn't much around that I fancied (stock is in but not on the shop floor due to Covid). I tried a Victory V30 Jack (Guthrie Govan model) and I didn't like either channel. The cleans were actually very brittle and thin. However, whilst I was trying a lunchbox head, I spotted the PRS MT-15 and decided to try it and it delivered.

I had my board with me and the cleans were ideal and excellent and took my pedals particularly well. It's loud and has the clean headroom without breaking up and the pull boost adds another dimension of clean.

It has an FX loop, 15 or 7 watt option, good speaker options and then you have the lead channel. It's all in there and the gain range is both excellent and useable throughout. £500 notes and it's pretty perfect for me and can be married up with my Mesa Cab.

Any MT-15 users/owners here as I know they had an issue with initial batch? I tell thee, it's bloody good!

edited August 2021 tFB Trader
    I'm a big Alter Bridge fan so I've always wanted an MT-15, but the initial story was that they sounded great, but had terrible QC and then I've not heard a lot since. 

Would be very interested to know how people get on with them. 

I should add that the original Amp1 was one of the worst experiences I've ever had with a piece of gear.
    thanks Waz and I'll be looking at more reviews and demos as I know the initial batch had noise issues but this was quiet and I believe PRS have addressed them.
  • It's really hard to find some proper clean playing with a DSL, but this demo from Jack is very good:

It's never fair putting Jack up when he could make a wet tissue box and elastic band sound world beating!

Maybe getting a bit out of the scope, but Marshall + Strat and a whisper of fuzz is a really great "clean" tone for my ears.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    If your amp gives you the cleans you want, why not get your dirty sounds from a Revival Drive? It’s effectively an analog amp modeller and you can tweak the EQ to suit whatever amp you run it into.
    It's really hard to find some proper clean playing with a DSL, but this demo from Jack is very good:

That sounds pretty good, particularly with the Strat and it's well-spec'd and a similar price to the MT-15 give or take a few quid. Thanks
  • The MT15 is a terrific amp, the reason I also bought the Supersonic was it has a more classic sound to it (and I always loved my teachers Fender amps when I was a kid).

The MT15 has a great Fender-like clean and a crushing gain channel. It sounds huge and very fat, fooling you into thinking it’s bigger than it really is.

QC wise it’s built really well, the cab is wonderfully sturdy. Though I felt it was a little noisy, swapping some preamp valves seems to have quietened in down however.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Keefy said:
    If your amp gives you the cleans you want, why not get your dirty sounds from a Revival Drive? It’s effectively an analog amp modeller and you can tweak the EQ to suit whatever amp you run it into.
    You're the second person to mention this on this thread and so I'll look into that some more :)