Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson being bell ends…

What's Hot
chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3988

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4558
    Well, they're easily confused.  FFS!

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    Don’t you just hate when that shit happens…. Go out to buy a Gibson and you come home with a pedal. Actually… I’m sure that happens quite a lot but it’s nothing to do with a logo 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18890
    Could be worse. You go out to buy a pedal and you come home with a Gibson 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Let’s not be too coy here, maestro made a phase shifter and the Mojo Mister O is a tribute to it. Including the Writing at the bottom similar to the coloured buttons. Still think Gibson are arses though this isn’t gonna hurt them, they will do more damage with bad PR resulting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited August 2021
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26668
    You know, this is the kind of thing that makes me want to ban all mention of Gibson and their products, unless it's in a negative light.
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
    You know, this is the kind of thing that makes me want to ban all mention of Gibson and their products, unless it's in a negative light.
    Gibson suck.

You're welcome.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 253
    Someone should point out that the classical music and opera world were using the word maestro way before Gibson even existed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I thought that had been done ages ago?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 668
    edited August 2021
    Short of unrestricted access to a time machine, i'm not sure there's any chance consumers are going to confuse the two.
    If recent history is anything to go though, Gibson suddenly defending defunct trademarks is a portent to their imminent resurrection.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    To be fair to Gibson, in order to maintain trademarks you do have to prove active defence of them, and it's not the Maestro Vibrola they're arguing about...

That said, the 'trade dress' correlation is pretty tenuous - although no doubt the circuit is quite similar, you can't trademark a circuit - and I hope Mojo Hand are on the phone to PRS asking for advice on choosing a good lawyer as we speak.

The problem will be that Mojo Hand no doubt have shallower pockets than Gibson.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4558
    Is the Maestro who produced the Vibrola the same as the Maestro who produced the pedal?  Assuming Gibson own the Maestro trademark, they may possibly have a point.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24469
    Good old Gibson. Losing IP cases all over the world, and in the process making people hate them.

Their PR dept needs to be thrown in the sea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27141
    It's funny because I wasn't aware of the Mojo Hand pedal before, and now I kinda want to try one...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24469
    It's funny because I wasn't aware of the Mojo Hand pedal before, and now I kinda want to try one...
    Streisand Effect in action.
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    It's hilarious that the notice says that the use of the similar font capitalizes on Gibsons goodwill and reputation!
    They're not showing any goodwill! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5500
    edited August 2021
    Sometimes I am glad that I don't like Gibson guitars. (I've played any number of them and the reality is that I would simply rather have a Martin, a Maton, a Guild, a Yamaha, even a Taylor.) Not liking their guitars basically saves confusion and trouble, I can just go through life saying "Gibson = bad" without having to bother distinguishing between their products, their marketing, and their lawyers.  

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26668
    Balrog68 said:
    It's hilarious that the notice says that the use of the similar font capitalizes on Gibsons goodwill and reputation!
    The thing is, those fonts are completely different - look at the s, t r...fuck it, just look at all the actual letters! About the only similarity is the thick vertical and thin horizontal lines, and if they're trying to claim ownership of all fonts like that...well, every company who ever made a tech product in the 50s and 60s will probably want to have a word with them.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    Balrog68 said:
    The thing is, those fonts are completely different - look at the s, t r...fuck it, just look at all the actual letters! About the only similarity is the thick vertical and thin horizontal lines, and if they're trying to claim ownership of all fonts like that...well, every company who ever made a tech product in the 50s and 60s will probably want to have a word with them.
    Exactly. The typeface is totally different. While it may be a nod to the Maestro logo it’s certainly a tenuous one. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16740
    Balrog68 said:
    The only similarity I can see is both M's have an extended line on the top left.   Even then, only one is a capital.

Those fonts are not even remotely similar