Advice please re Acoustic Guitar strings please.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    If you order direct from Newtone, never wait for them to show in stock, just place an order and they will turn back orders around quickly, normally 10 days or less, my favourite are Heritage 12-51, easy on my arthritic fingers, enjoy.
    Thanks - I’ve just ordered 2 sets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When the strings arrive, before you fit them, read this 

https://newtonestrings.com/do-not-cut-newtone-strings/

As they are hand wound you need to treat them a little differently to mass produced strings, once you’ve fitted your first set it will become second nature.

When the strings arrive, before you fit them, read this 

https://newtonestrings.com/do-not-cut-newtone-strings/

As they are hand wound you need to treat them a little differently to mass produced strings, once you’ve fitted your first set it will become second nature.

Brilliant - Thanks I will do.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418

It's not because they're hand wound, it's because the cores are round-section and don't grip the wrap. Most other strings are hexagonal core.

Luckily, on the standard posts on almost all acoustic guitars, it isn't an issue if you fit the strings correctly - whichever of the two alternative best methods you - since you always put the string through the post, bend it, wind on and tune up before you cut off the loose end. If you don't you're doing it wrong anyway!

The real problem is with Fender-style split-post/hole down the middle tuners, which a very few acoustics have too. (And Floyd Rose bridges, I don't think you can use Newtones with those.)

So not one of these :D 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 819
    Try a set of Elixirs - nothing lost if you really don't like them...

...and if you do, then they stay the same for months and months.
    jaymenon said:
    Try a set of Elixirs - nothing lost if you really don't like them...

...and if you do, then they stay the same for months and months.

I have tried elixirs and find them fine strings but not exactly what I’m after.. Have just got a couple of sets of  Newtones so looking forward to heat what they’re like.

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @jimkehoe. Try Martin MA140 or MA140T. They have a non-British sound right out of the packet. They're 12 gauge. The 140T are treated for longer life and and both are 80/20 bronze. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    That's bright not British! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited August 2021
    I tried some semi-flat (flat top?) strings in an attempt to reduce scratchy sounds but noticed they sounded quite mellow compared to the previous lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom