Drivemaster and Guv'nor clones

What's Hot
ReverendReverend Frets: 5018
I have both but they are old and prone to break downs. I was wondering if there any good clones of either or people that make decent kits that are doable for someone less gifted with a soldering iron?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17667
    tFB Trader
    Loads of companies make pedals based on the Guvnor. The Riot and Crunchbox being two very good examples.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5018
    How do they compare? Both seem to have less knobs.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17667
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    I've had both and the Guv'nor+, but never a Mk 1 Guv'nor (though I have used one a couple of times)

The Crunchbox is a nice JCM800 type distortion and the Super Crunchbox adds a lot of nice clipping options. The tone control is one of those add treble while removing bass type ones, but you have no control of mids. 

I love the Riot. It's quite versatile and has 3 clipping options again you don't have any control of mids, but the different clipping options changes the bass response. 

The Marshall Guvnor+ is good, but not that much like a Mk1 Guv.

Though it wasn't what you were asking about the Visual Sound "Son of Hyde" is a Shredmaster clone and is very good indeed.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Drop @badgerific a line. He's handy with a soldering iron and has done a bit of work for people around here. If you tell him what you want I'm sure he'll be able to help.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I'll have a play with my lot over the weekend, and see what comes closest to the Mk1 Guvnor.

If you have room on your board (and the - or room for -  appropriate power supply) the Blackstar HT dual is pretty similar sounding.

What settings roughly are you using?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2364
    I think BYOC does a guvnor clone (I'm assuming you want a clone and not something "based on" it- as monquixote rightly says, there are several pedals which are "based on" the guvnor). I haven't tried it, though.

I'm guessing clones of the drivemaster will be rarer, but I could be wrong.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I think BYOC do clones of all the old Marshall pedals don't they? I know they do the Shredmaster.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    You can get a real Drivemaster for £20 - £30 on ebay
    I just picked one up. 

Its the same construction as a shredmaster and that thing can take abuse. Mines been going strong for many years now. 

Never tried a guvnor. I know the mk2 can be had for reasonable monies. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72599
    I would just fix them - it's only the jacks and the switch that are crap. You can replace them both with better ones - you need to find another way of supporting the power jack if you replace both jacks on the Drivemaster with non-PCB-mount ones, but hot-melt glue works :). With the Guv'nor, just leave the loop jack original.

The pots are a bit exposed to damage on the Guv'nor, but not the Drivemaster.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2364
    Bidley said:
    I think BYOC do clones of all the old Marshall pedals don't they? I know they do the Shredmaster.
    Not sure, I think you're right about the shredmaster and I think they do a bluesbreaker too. Dunno about the drivemaster. I could go and look but...

Man the internet's making us lazy, isn't it? If you'd told me when I was 10 that I could look up any question I wanted and just had to type in to a computer in my house, I'd have thought it was the greatest thing ever. :))
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have a Shredmaster Clone and the Guv'nor 2 (which is great but not quite the same). I'm sending the broken pedals off to be fixed and have bought another Drivemaster on ebay.

One of the things I would like is clones of them on smaller mxr/nano sized enclosures for international gigs when flying.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I think the BYOC clone of the Guv'nor is called the Chancellor. I'm not really sure what the difference is between the Guv'nor and the Drive Master though...
    Jeremiah said:
    I'm not really sure what the difference is between the Guv'nor and the Drive Master though…
    Not a lot! They are essentially the same circuit but with a few different component values.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    £50-60 difference on ebay? :)
    ICBM said:
    Jeremiah said:
    I'm not really sure what the difference is between the Guv'nor and the Drive Master though…
    Not a lot! They are essentially the same circuit but with a few different component values.
    I thought one was overdrive and one was distortion? 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited August 2014
    meltedbuzzbox said:

I thought one was overdrive and one was distortion? 
    Two sides of the same coin really, although there are some differences between the 'definitive' types of each. (eg Tube Screamer and Rat.)

The Guv'nor and Drivemaster circuits are identical apart from some component values - and it's a "distortion" circuit in that the clipping diodes (which are LEDs) are to ground rather than in a feedback loop. But so are some other well-known "overdrive" circuits.

The Shredmaster is substantially different though.

• The Guv'nor has a jack socket labelled LOOP, the Drivemaster doesn't - no idea what it does though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/

whats the difference on the Shredmaster @ICBM

well apart from the extra gain and the backwards middle pot (or contour)

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Without too much messing around, and back-to-back, I've been getting pretty similar sounds to a Mk1 Guv from

Blackstar HT-dual, Marshall Jackhammer and a Zvex Distortron.

Admittedly, I haven't had *exactly* the same sound, but I haven't played with them too much, just going for a similar sounds to the Mk1. A little longer and I'm sure I'd get *exactly* the same sound.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

The Guv'nor has a jack socket labelled LOOP, the Drivemaster doesn't - no idea what it does though.
    It's an insert jack which you can use as an FX loop (with a Y-cable) to put another pedal there so it's only on when the Guv'nor is on - eg a delay which you only want along with your lead sound - or you can use it (with a normal cable) to split the clean and dirty sounds to different amps. Potentially quite useful, although I've never heard of anyone who uses it.

whats the difference on the Shredmaster @ICBM

well apart from the extra gain and the backwards middle pot (or contour)
    Essentially the first part of it is like the Guv'nor/Drivemaster (but with other different component values, different 'harder' clipping diodes, and a fixed middle control), then it has a second IC which is an extra tone stage which operates the contour control, and an output buffer.