Songster or Ultimate Guitar or Lick Library or..?

What's Hot
Hi All,

Having run a search I don't think this has been asked in a while and I know things change with time.

I'm looking to build repertoire, don't have an awful lot of time to try and work things out for myself due to work, family and so on.  Therefore I'm looking for a good source for tabs, etc. I don't mind paying a subscription.

Musical taste is mostly classic rock and all manner of 80s and 90s stuff - but not exclusively.  I'd like tabs and backing tracks if possible, downloadable definitely a bonus and an actual run-through/lesson would be perfect although I expect only well known songs are going to have that.

Songster looks mostly OK for tabs if basic, Lick Library looks better with the video lessons and backing tracks but I'm not sure if there are tabs, possibly Ultimate Guitar is a good halfway house. There are, I'm sure, others.

Any thoughts on the state of the market before I start paying out?  I know there's free subscriptions but time constraints mean I'd like to have an idea of what people think of these sites and not waste time auditioning something that isn't what I want.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• yockyyocky Frets: 809
    Youtube might be your best bet, or at least one source. You won't find everything on there but you can find pretty comprehensive lessons with tabs.

I find lots of the Ultimate Guitar tabs are completely wrong. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    I'm very critical of online tabs but I find Songsterr the most accurate.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I find Lick Library to be the most accurate, and has a lot of backing tracks. They don't tend to use tab, and use video tutorial. I agree with previous comments that a lot of internet tab is inaccurate, sometimes it's in the wrong key.
  • Thanks for the comments.

Looks like I can't get tab and lessons/decent backing then - about what I thought.

I may have to stop being so tight and pay for Songster and Lick Library...
  • To answer my own question on Lick Library and tabs:

Due to copyright law, we are however unable to provide supporting tablature for song lessons and courses.
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Songster is decent. I've learnt a few songs from the app and they seem pretty accurate. I generally cross refrence with a youtube lesson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I find an internet search on any particular song, followed by the word: tab/chords to be sufficient. Most of the time I see the same info on different sites.  YouTube is great if there's a specific section I'm stuck on.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Can't comment on the others but I use UG (paid) a lot, it serves my needs for guitar 2 in a rock covers band and occasional personal faves. My only criticism is the loop function doesn't work on the mobile app, only (desktop) browser.

I use it in conjunction with play alongs to original recordings.
  • The problem with Lick Library is that there are lots of mistakes in video production (or lack of it) 5th fret third sting, sorry I meant 2nd string ...  hard when you are trying to learn a song. 

Also, they don't cover the whole song, just the parts they want to cover

Lots of professional sites and you tubers are wrong, take Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits, Marks plays one of the licks at the 10th fret, yet on youtube/guitar mags it's played on the 5th fret. ....

I ran by Flock of Seagulls 
    Guitartricks.com 
    ----14-----     ----15----
    ----14------    ----12----
    ----14------   -----------

set your delay pedal to 296, or close to 300

Flock of Seagulls guitar lesson by Paul Reynolds :)

----14-----     ----15----
    ----14------    --------
    ----14------   -----------

Set your delay to 308MM 

“Ken sent me.”
  • +1 for songsterr here. Great app. Very handy.
  • Thanks all.
  • I used to have songster and UG at one time as I got the UG one at Xmas on sale for about £25 for the year . Youtube is really really good  and if you can cross reference too with one of the others . I’m not currently subscribed to songster or UG  I’m quite interested in playing guns n roses though and have 2 Slash techniques books . 
  • I also like guitar instructor.com  if they have the song I want 
  • I also like guitar instructor.com  if they have the song I want 
    Was considering going for the subscription for a year (only $69) would you recommend it?
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1413
    I have TrueFire and UG, I like them both,