Gerd Muller

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
edited August 2021 in Tributes tFB Trader
Wow - only 75

As a Leeds fan and an England fan then easy to say he was a pain during the 1970's - But what a striker - 68 games for WG and 62 goals - Doubt anyone can match that strike rate 

RIP - Can I say thanks for the memories when so many of them are not good ? - But you know what I mean 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    Just noticed - For Bayern 365 goals in 427 matches - What would you pay for that today if you are Man City, Man Utd, Real Madrid, PSG etc etc 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 339
    Hell of a striker. I think I am correct in stating that he retired at the age of 28 as players wives were not allowed to attend the World Cup celebration meal in 74. If so, he was ahead of his time in all aspects.

RIP
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Other way round, Mark - 68 goals in 62 games!  Unbelievable!

What a player - RIP.

tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:
    Other way round, Mark - 68 goals in 62 games!  Unbelievable!

What a player - RIP.

another stat - 85 goals during the 1972 calendar year - A record held until 2012 and broken by Messi

and as @monkey42 mentioned above he retired from International football at 28 - So otherwise would have destroyed his own record 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    For some reason his name is just eponymous - is that the right word?  So many footballers are just compared against a “Gerd Muller” because it just means brilliant centre forward in world dominating team.  I think Messi and Ronaldo are similar now too

Great 1970s football memories 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I remember Hugh Johns commentating on another goal by "Gertie Muller".

His strength and low centre of gravity (Muller, not Hugh) made him a very difficult man to disposess. 
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 981
    edited August 2021
    I am too young to have seen Muller play - but my old man reckoned him to be a better 'natural' finisher than anyone in the game.... 

What sort of player was he? what sort of game did he have?
    tFB Trader
    I am too young to have seen Muller play - but my old man reckoned him to be a better 'natural' finisher than anyone in the game.... 

What sort of player was he? what sort of game did he have?
    Maybe not enough time/space to go into to much details - But think of a better version of Mark Hughes - similar-ish 'stocky build - lethal finisher more often than not in the 6 yard box - Not the guy to run past 5 defenders Messi style
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom