About to throw the towel in on my firebird...

What's Hot
I've had my Firebird V (Gibson, 2012) since probably 2014. I bought it second hand pretty much on impulse in a vintage guitar shop in Spitalfields that I don't think exists anymore (from what I can see on google). It came on tour with me a few times, it got plenty of action and I never had any issues with it. It was rock solid tuning and the most comfortable guitar I'd ever played standing up.

But then the band fell apart and life took over and my daughter was born and it sat in a case for a very long time and it was only really a couple of years ago that I got it out and started playing it again and I've had nothing but problems with it ever since. 

It just won't stay in tune. I've put in a Tusq XL nut. I've played with the break angle. I just took delivery of a set of Riot Tuners and installed them - huge improvement on the steinbergers which were in there, but still it wobbles all over the place.

Also, despite giving it a recent fret level and dress it's got some buzz/dropout on the high e and B beyond the 12th, and looking down the neck it looks quite ski-slopey on the treble side. 

Is it time to give up on it? Are firebirds just notoriously bad at staying in tune and I just somehow didn't notice for the first 4 years of playing it? I used to use .11s but recently have been trying 9s and 10s - could that be the answer?

Quasi-rant over. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18821
    This is a very common issue with Firebirds.
    The only guaranteed solution is for you to sell it to me, immediately & for a very low price.
    It's the Fretboard way, don't thank me. No, really  ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is a very common issue with Firebirds.
    The only guaranteed solution is for you to sell it to me, immediately & for a very low price.
    It's the Fretboard way, don't thank me. No, really  ;)
    I'm not far off heading over to the classifieds! How low is 'very low'? I'm not going to put it up there without being totally forward about its foibles. It is 'player grade', it has battle scars and the wiring has been done and redone so many times (by me) it's a bit of a frankenstein in there - only one volume (with a mod to act as a dummy tone pot) and the rest of the original pots are all elsewhere or deceased. Here's a pick of it in happier times:

• Oh and I expanded one of the pot holes to fit the toggle switch (as seen in the pic), then eventually moved it back to its original position, rendering the messy and ugly hole entirely unnecessary.

I do not treat my guitars with the respect they deserve!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    I'd suggest letting a tech have a look at it. Plenty about who can sort it I'm sure. I only have experience of three: Charlie Chandler, the Guitar Repair Workshop and KGB. But any of those should sort it. Good luck :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    Could be the lower gauge if the bridge has some play in it, less downward force holding it steady?

One was on the classifieds last week for £750, it sold in about 10 minutes  :'(
  • I'm not prepared to spend any more money on it. If I can fix it myself I will, I'm just at a loss as to what's causing the tuning issues... 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18821
    Oh bugger, I'm afraid it's worse than I thought. Amateur modifications, converse's without socks, shorts & drum posturing stances. 
     I'll have to revise my initial offer to just covering the postage (not insured) to me.
    You know it makes sense :-D

Seriously (really!) I'm certain that this will be something that can be sorted with some some advice on minor tweaks that will be forthcoming from those more experienced... & less blatantly initially avaricious than myself  ;)
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Truss rod at the point of being loose, allowing the neck to flex?

Bridge moving on studs? Possibly coupled with corroded/worn grooves in the saddles?

I'm not a big fan of Tusq as a nut material...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6081
    Have you tried going back to 11's?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    collapsed bridge?
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I have one I bought secondhand ,like yourself. That came with 12s  which makes me wonder, do they just suit heavier strings. Have you altered the trussrod  to account for the lighter strings you using now?
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    I have nothing to add, other than I do love a Firebird. 

Hope you manage to get it sorted. Looks like a lovely guitar. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Oh bugger, I'm afraid it's worse than I thought. Amateur modifications, converse's without socks, shorts & drum posturing stances. 
     I'll have to revise my initial offer to just covering the postage (not insured) to me.
    You know it makes sense :-D

Seriously (really!) I'm certain that this will be something that can be sorted with some some advice on minor tweaks that will be forthcoming from those more experienced... & less blatantly initially avaricious than myself  ;)
    I bought my Firebird off a mate who bought it new in 2005, and sold it to me after it having spent most of its life in its case as he couldn’t get it to play right. Even with numerous trips for setups (although I think these were more likely on the shop counter rather than genuine luthier setups). The action couldn’t be lowered without buzzing, it was high.

I did my usual setup routine and I’ve not had a single problem, to the point where other guitars just don’t get played anymore.
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1731
    tFB Trader
    Don’t give up! Sounds like you just need to find the right person to look at it.

• Don’t give up! Sounds like you just need to find the right person to look at it.

This. You might need someone with the skills of an actual luthier as opposed to a “tech” to sort it out.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    edited September 2021 tFB Trader
    I like Firebird, had a few. I haven't had to do anything much except replace the shitty plastic top nuts.
    They've had 9s on, and normally 10s.

I like Steinberger tuners but they do break.

Have someone look at it - much better to have an independent and fresh eye on things. I'd be surprised if it was terminally ill and for small money you'd know what's up, and likely have it fixed.

The 750 one was mine - however it's what I paid for it brand new in 2016, with a bit of discount, and it went without the gig bag. That year that was the price region, partly as they came with a bag and not the ark royal hard case. If someone's asking 1100 or whatever as you do see on fleabay, I wouldn't be paying that for a '16.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10242
    I’ve no idea but I’ve always had issues with Gibsons and tuning. 

What’s your band called?
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6137
    A Firebird is the guitar you never knew you wanted. You really do have fo sit and play one to understand just how good they feel under the arm and on the lap. Using Ray Dietrich to design that beast was a moment of genius from Gibson.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11805
    I bought a 2013 V a couple of years back and whilst Fender-style guitars will always be my preference, I do like it.  Stays in tune (Steinbergers), has a nice low action and I really like the sound of the mini humbuckers on that neck-thru body.  Always worried about bashing it on something though as it's just so bloody big.  As others have said, get it properly fettled before giving up on it.  As far as the aesthetics are concerned, you won't own a cooler guitar.