PA Speaker recommendations please.

jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 210
I currently play electric and occasional acoustic with a female singer.
when playing acoustic I/We use a Boss Acoustic Singer Pro amp for both acoustic and vocals ( Only her - I don’t sing).
I am very happy with the sound but in a packed lively pub/club it struggles a bit.
The amp have separate feeds for both acoustic and vocal channels and I am contemplating adding a PA speaker to improve volume/spread.
In the past I have had QSCs, DXR12s etc but don’t really want to spend that much.
‘Can anyone recommend a speaker that will do the job with good quality whilst not breaking the bank?
Thanks
Jim.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    If you can still get them the turbosound Milan 1x10 punches well above its weight and they are very reasonably priced because the latest version is being pushed.
    Turbosound loudspeakers and Klark Teknik digital processing and power, they sound like the professional kit they are. Read the reviews online.
  • ESBlonde said:
    If you can still get them the turbosound Milan 1x10 punches well above its weight and they are very reasonably priced because the latest version is being pushed.
    Turbosound loudspeakers and Klark Teknik digital processing and power, they sound like the professional kit they are. Read the reviews online.
    Sounds like an excellent suggestion - I’ll look into these. Thank you very much.
  • Anyone else have some PA wisdom?
  • RCF 10” are great all rounders. Even the older versions are great and you can pick them up for not much. Add a single bass bin for bigger gigs..
  • RCF 10” are great all rounders. Even the older versions are great and you can pick them up for not much. Add a single bass bin for bigger gigs..
    Bearing in mind it would only be for amplifying an acoustic and vocals I’m hoping a bass bin wouldn’t be necessary?
  • I am very happy with my HK Audio Linear 5 112 XA.
  • I am very happy with my HK Audio Linear 5 112 XA.
    Looks like a great unit but maybe a little heavy and expensive for my needs/budget. But thanks for the suggestion.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3145
    edited September 2021
    HK fan here but in your situation why not consider another boss unit. The reason I’m suggesting it is ,that unless you buy a complete PA ,just adding another unmatched speaker will mean however hard you ,try the two  sound sources will sound different, and possibly off putting to your audience depending on where they are standing.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • HK fan here but in your situation why not consider another boss unit. The reason I’m suggesting it is ,that unless you buy a complete PA ,just adding another unmatched speaker will mean however hard you ,try the two  sound sources will sound different, and possibly off putting to your audience depending on where they are standing.
    Just really wanted a separate active speaker ideally with two inputs, good sound, not too heavy without all the bells and whistles that the Boss amp has. Hopefully to give a bit more spread and volume.
  • www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Thanks @maltingsaudio I'll do some research and give it some serious consideration.
  • jimkehoe said:
    HK fan here but in your situation why not consider another boss unit. The reason I’m suggesting it is ,that unless you buy a complete PA ,just adding another unmatched speaker will mean however hard you ,try the two  sound sources will sound different, and possibly off putting to your audience depending on where they are standing.
    Just really wanted a separate active speaker ideally with two inputs, good sound, not too heavy without all the bells and whistles that the Boss amp has. Hopefully to give a bit more spread and volume.
    You could look at Alto brand speakers. I have two Alto 'Trouper' speakers and they do this job well. Not overly powerful but fine for small acoustic gigs. 
  • jimkehoe said:
    You could look at Alto brand speakers. I have two Alto 'Trouper' speakers and they do this job well. Not overly powerful but fine for small acoustic gigs. 
    Do you think they would cope with a relatively well attended lively pub gig?
  • I've used them in a pub/working man's club type gig and it's been fine. That was for acoustic/folk type stuff. Anything with drums or loud electric guitar amps I'd get something more powerful. They suit me because I can use them for that type of thing but also I've used them as side monitors with a PA at a bigger gig. Alto do larger powered speakers  but I've not tried them. 
  • I've used them in a pub/working man's club type gig and it's been fine. That was for acoustic/folk type stuff. Anything with drums or loud electric guitar amps I'd get something more powerful. They suit me because I can use them for that type of thing but also I've used them as side monitors with a PA at a bigger gig. Alto do larger powered speakers  but I've not tried them. 
    Brilliant. Thanks.