I want to get a chibson

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
Couldn't see any on fleabay, I guess they have all been pulled at the moment. I've been looking around for a cheap LP copy to strip, fix up and generally faff around with, and it occurred to me that a chibson is probably a better start point than some of the 70s bolt on tat out there. Anyone got one? Are they useable or complete tosh? Seen anywhere to buy one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    http://chinaguitarsceptic.com

That should give you the lowdown. 

He does Youtube vids as well. 

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Mate of mine just bought a cherry 335 one with a Bigsby. Was only about £250, sent me pics asking what it was worth etc.... Quite easy to spot even from a few pics on whatsapp.

Still though for the price, supposed to be decent. Did you see that DG335 site that was on here a wee while ago?

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    The DG335 thread that was on here a while back was a good read

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I got this for £320 from ishibashi

These are made correctly, have gotoh hardware and Seymour Duncans. No brainer if you ask me
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

These are made correctly, have gotoh hardware and Seymour Duncans. No brainer if you ask me
    Wow!

£320? I might just have to have one. Is that including duty and delivery etc...?
    Deijavoo said:

Wow!

£320? I might just have to have one. Is that including duty and delivery etc...?
    Duty was £70 I think.

The only downside is you have to find one. Mine was used. I think they go for quite a lot more new.

its an Edwards Les Paul E-LP 100 LTC. I have only ever seen one other in the UK and that was priced at £800 or £900 :-O
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Aye, I'd go for an Edwards, Burny or Tokai, personally.

The current MIC Tokai Love Rocks (AL48, I think is the model) are great modding platforms and tasty players.
    JDE said:
    Aye, I'd go for an Edwards, Burny or Tokai, personally.

The current MIC Tokai Love Rocks (AL48, I think is the model) are great modding platforms and tasty players.
    They are alder or basswood arent they?
    I always fancied that Edwards John Sykes model despite not being a fan.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Where's adolf when u need him :-/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    meltedbuzzbox;318188" said:

They are alder or basswood arent they?
    Alder, I believe. Mine is, anyway.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Get an Edwards, Tokai, Orville or an Epi rather than go the chinese knock off route

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9634
    Why gamble on a Chibson when you can get a trustworthy used Epi for far less than £250? For £300 or so you could get a Tribute + with a very good hard case, Gibson '57 pickups, long tenon neck and a proper maple cap under the veneer. Ripe for customisation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Get an Edwards, Tokai, Orville or an Epi rather than go the chinese knock off route
    If you can get what you're after already, ghen yes, I'd agree.

If not, well, you know the rest... ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    Get an Edwards, Tokai, Orville or an Epi rather than go the chinese knock off route
    Or Greco.

Lots of all the above on eBay.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    What are they like compare to the quality to an epi (second hand) ?
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    People are right the China route looks nice on the face of it as a mod platform but your quickly into a few hundred quid once you have it landed and for a bit more find a 2nd hand Japanese model Burny etc and you will have a far better base to upgrade from.

If its just the lure of a proper gibson shaped headstock then china it is, if you want cheap chinese to mod look at Thomans Harley Benton seem to do thhe job for 130 squids

Edwards are great and if you search out a slighly worn and played in version you can pick them up for not much money, as I get the impression that the Japanese do not particularly like 2nd hand and if so it has to be very clean 2nd hand. So lived in models with a few dings go cheap

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12332
    Ever seen these? priced at £195, set neck jobbies from mad dog guitars near-ish to me, Ramsbottom to be exact. Not bad looking copies and the headstock looks pretty OK if you are stripping and thinking of a cheeky logo? He seems to be big on quality control.

"OUR TOSSPOT"