Fractal FM3 with PA Speakers ?

KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
edited October 2021 in Amps
As mentioned on here recently, I'm very interested in the above unit, however, I'm not sure which FRFRs to use it through or whether to buy a power amp and use it through the Mesa cab I already have. Any thoughts or suggestions and recommendations on FRFRs or a power amps with a regular cab?

I do have a PA system and have access to 2 x Behringer Euro Live powered speakers (450W a piece). Would these work well with the unit, either directly connected to the speaker or to the speaker via the mixing desk?

Many thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Bump
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The Behringers aren’t the best but they should be pretty good.  Using your Mesa cab with a power amp would sound good, but you obviously compromised by using a specific cab, although lots of people like that approach 

try it and see is the best advice
  • sjo89sjo89 Frets: 183
    Kebabkid said:
    As mentioned on here recently, I'm very interested in the above unit, however, I'm not sure which FRFRs to use it through or whether to buy a power amp and use it through the Mesa cab I already have. Any thoughts or suggestions and recommendations on FRFRs or a power amps with a regular cab?

I do have a PA system and have access to 2 x Behringer Euro Live powered speakers (450W a piece). Would these work well with the unit, either directly connected to the speaker or to the speaker via the mixing desk?

Many thanks
    If you want to use the Fractal as basically an "amp head" i.e. you don't care about using a cab sim - then definitely best with the power amp into a proper guitar cab option. This will also provide you with the most realistic guitar amp experience IMO.

I used to run my Helix into the FX return of the amps in the studio at rehearsals, just using the inbuilt amp blocks and they honestly sounded extremely good through a real guitar cab. I use the SD Powerstage 170 - plenty loud and good EQ.

It would also mean you don't have to worry about faffing around with IR's for each preset, though I suspect you like that as an Axe FX user ;)
    Thanks guys.

@sjo89 the SD Powerstage 170 was the one that keeps coming up. Isn't there something you have to do in order to get the full power from the unit? Is it the ohmage?

For clarity, I do not own an FM3 but I'm hoping to get one pending the sale of this OR/ if traded 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/214430/fs-ft-fender-65-deluxe-reverb-reissue-ft-fm3#latest
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks guys.

@sjo89 the SD Powerstage 170 was the one that keeps coming up. Isn't there something you have to do in order to get the full power from the unit? Is it the ohmage?

For clarity, I do not own an FM3 but I'm hoping to get one pending the sale of this OR/ if traded 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/214430/fs-ft-fender-65-deluxe-reverb-reissue-ft-fm3#latest
    Ha! No way! I literally picked up a 2nd hand Pro Reverb (basically a Deluxe that ran between 2000-2005) a few hours ago. Your Fractal will never sound as good as that my friend!

Yeh I cant remember exactly what it was, whether it was 170W at 4ohms or 8ohms. Either way I was running it into 16ohm 4x12 and, trust me, volume wasn't an issue. 

Don't get the Behringer - shitty company. Slave labour (legit). 
    sjo89 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks guys.

Ha! No way! I literally picked up a 2nd hand Pro Reverb (basically a Deluxe that ran between 2000-2005) a few hours ago. Your Fractal will never sound as good as that my friend!

Yeh I cant remember exactly what it was, whether it was 170W at 4ohms or 8ohms. Either way I was running it into 16ohm 4x12 and, trust me, volume wasn't an issue. 

My rig sounds good with a DRRI and pedals but I'm quite a modern, effects-type player and so the FM3 from demos nails what I want. As to the Behringer, read again, I already have the speakers from years ago :)
    Kebabkid said:
    sjo89 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks guys.

My rig sounds good with a DRRI and pedals but I'm quite a modern, effects-type player and so the FM3 from demos nails what I want. As to the Behringer, read again, I already have the speakers from years ago :)
    Would you be using the FRFR speaker for gigs as a form of amplification/monitoring or just at home? 
    sjo89 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    sjo89 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks guys.

Would you be using the FRFR speaker for gigs as a form of amplification/monitoring or just at home? 
    This would be as a live rig.

As to the SD 170, I believe it's 170W at 4 Ohms  
    Kebabkid said:
    sjo89 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    sjo89 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks guys.

So would you be micing the cab then or sending direct to FOH from Fractal?

Is the cab just for you really so you can have what feels like a guitar amp on stage?
    edited October 2021
    sjo89 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    sjo89 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    sjo89 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks guys.

My rig sounds good with a DRRI and pedals but I'm quite a modern, effects-type player and so the FM3 from demos nails what I want. As to the Behringer, read again, I already have the speakers from years ago

Is the cab just for you really so you can have what feels like a guitar amp on stage?
    The modeller route would be something new for me and so I would want the cab for myself on stage and I'd also send a feed to the PA (when needed) but in the main, just a cab for me on stage. 
    Kebabkid said:
    sjo89 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    sjo89 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    sjo89 said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks guys.

My rig sounds good with a DRRI and pedals but I'm quite a modern, effects-type player and so the FM3 from demos nails what I want. As to the Behringer, read again, I already have the speakers from years ago

The modeller route would be something new for me and so I would want the cab for myself on stage and I'd also send a feed to the PA (when needed) but in the main, just a cab for me on stage. 
    I've read good things about the Laney and Matrix FRFR power cabs, and the Line 6 one too. Theres Kemper, Quilter, Mission, Friedman and so on.

If you were sending to FOH I'd want a PA speaker so that I can hear the tone the FOH hears. I've a Yamaha DXR10 which is excellent.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited October 2021
    Buy the Redsound cab that’s up for sale in the £Amp for sale section. I’ve also got one, fantastic sound and feel with an FM3. Unless you’re going to play with in ear monitors, you’re going to want a cab on stage - the Yamaha DXR10 is very good but in my view a Redsound behind you is better.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 916
    I’ve tried a few solutions for my modelling gear (Kemper /Axe 2) - power amps and cabs work really well once you have everything dialled in and if you don’t mind your AC30 being amplified through a Mesa 4x12! Seriously though, this gives you the ‘amp in the room’ sound, so closer to what you’re used to.

I wanted to dip my toe in the frfr pool so tried a friend’s Mackie PA cabs which sounded ok so bought a dxr10, which was better still. It did struggle a bit with a loud(ish) band and the tweeter is noticeable, giving a plasticky edge to the top end. 

Finally, I saw a Redsound LG12 available as B stock from Thomann so I took the plunge. That was the revelation, much more grunt than the dxr10, sounds more like a guitar cab but gives all the scope of using IR’s. I now use two Redsound cabs for gigs, great tone and tons of controllable power. You should definitely check them out if you want to go down the frfr route.
    edited October 2021
    Thanks guys for your comments and can get access to Redsounds via a mate and I'm sure they'll sound much better than the Behringers, which were only going to be an interim thing, anyway.

The power amp with my existing Mesa Mini Recto Cab also appeals but the Redsound sounds like the solution, especially as I also play bass and that system could cater for both guitar and bass.

Would one Redsound be loud enough and can it keep up with a full band, drummer etc?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Kebabkid said:

Would one Redsound be loud enough and can it keep up with a full band, drummer etc?
    Obviously it depends upon the what you're playing (especially drummer) but I've played with a single Redsound LGS12 on many occasions with no issue. 
    I'm going to be selling my one soon, I upgraded to a stereo pair of Redsound MF10 which are also very good. 
    exocet said:
    Kebabkid said:

Obviously it depends upon the what you're playing (especially drummer) but I've played with a single Redsound LGS12 on many occasions with no issue. 
    I'm going to be selling my one soon, I upgraded to a stereo pair of Redsound MF10 which are also very good. 
    Funnily enough, I've just been emailing with Marco Fanton who developed the MF10s and he recommends the stereo pairing, one active and one passive.

For my purposes, I play function stuff or the classic rock band I play with where it's (Eagles, Doobies, Steely Dan, Toto etc) - I am lucky that our drummer plays a top of the range Roland kit and so volume is controlled but it's good to know it would be ok

Cheers
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    Cos,

One Redsound will be more than adequate. Ive rehearsed and played live many times with a LG12. 

I own 2 x DXR10s and they are great for a PA, but the Redsound is far superior for guitar sounds. More like a ‘real’ amp sound and feel…
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Once you’ve decided what to use as a monitor it’s worthwhile EQing it against the PA. Then you’ll know that the audience hears something similar to what you’re hearing
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited October 2021
    Thanks @Wazmeister and @Roland and with that, I need to find someone selling an FM3
    Despite modellers sounding good, I'm sticking with valve amps and pedals as I can't be asked to invest the time and stick with the learning curve.