Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• swillerswiller Frets: 1352
    Iamnobody said:
    Shrews said:
    munckee said:
    I think if judging is fair I expect usyk to win by reasonably comfortable points decision. He just seems a level above the best of the heavyweights. 

With the Dubois fight he was knocked down in R5 but it was ruled a low blow. Dubois appears to be stepping down to Light Heavy for his next bout. I don't think he's in the same power league as Tyson Fury and yet he still put Usyk down.

If he struggled with a belly-button blow by Dubois he will surely struggle with a shot from Fury. 
    Daniel Dubois is fighting Hrgovic in a couple of weeks at heavyweight. He couldn’t make light heavy if he tried! Where are those 60 odd pounds disappearing to?

I’ve also heard it said (not from his team) that he’s very heavy handed. His KO stats would back that up. So not sure where you are coming from with his supposed lack of power. He probably punches harder than Tyson although I’m not willing to take a shot from either to test that theory out.

Usyk won’t be there to be hit easily though so will neutralise whatever power Fury brings. 

if there’s any question of Usyk being vulnerable to the body that will have been trained out in this camp as best they can with conditioning and working on defensive drills.

I think it’ll be a great fight just the whole occasion of it. I can make an argument for both but today I’d have to say Usyk on points. 
    Ive always been a fan of dubois potential. His losses are a bit leg injury/giving up in nature though, feels like something that needs qworking on. Prob the best heavyweight perf against usyk apart from josh second fight. Absolutely worthy of fights with ruiz,whyte,wilder, joyce 2, fury, joshua etc. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12460
    DefaultM said:
    I watched Lewis vs Holyfield 1 last night. I didn’t know what happened, and I really didn’t expect that result. Does anyone ever argue it was right? It just seemed a bit mad.
    It’s up with ggg vs canelo 1 and Cartterall vs Taylor robberies. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1003
    edited May 15
    I would recommend  Stable: The Boxing Game on BBC iPlayer.

“Every fight can be make or break. Take a ringside seat at the McGuigans' boxing stable – where discipline, dedication and determination are the route to the top.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001xxnn/stable-the-boxing-game
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 872
    I'm thinking Fury will be tough for Usyk to put down and he does go so, Fury will get up. After the Wilder 1 bout I thought of Fury differently ... I never rated him really but I now see him as a flexible mountain rather than  an ambling alp.

I can't see how Usyk can get inside because Fury's reach and defensive movement gives him just a bit more time to avoid or counter.

Whilst Usyk may be quicker, nimbler and technically more proficient, I think this just boils down to a "good big'n will beat a good little'n".

I reckon Fury by a unanimous points decision.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1352
    stufisher said:
    I'm thinking Fury will be tough for Usyk to put down and he does go so, Fury will get up. After the Wilder 1 bout I thought of Fury differently ... I never rated him really but I now see him as a flexible mountain rather than  an ambling alp.

I can't see how Usyk can get inside because Fury's reach and defensive movement gives him just a bit more time to avoid or counter.

Whilst Usyk may be quicker, nimbler and technically more proficient, I think this just boils down to a "good big'n will beat a good little'n".

Agree with that logic, cant see Usyk ko. But think southpaw continues to trouble fury.

Hope boxing fans are half as hyped for this one as me.
    Beers in fridge, steak, chips , vino later. Big screen, surround sound.
    Pig in shit. Cant wait.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6914
    swiller said:
    stufisher said:

Agree with that logic, cant see Usyk ko. But think southpaw continues to trouble fury.

Hope boxing fans are half as hyped for this one as me.
    Beers in fridge, steak, chips , vino later. Big screen, surround sound.
    Pig in shit. Cant wait.
    Just tuning into the Isaac Lowe fight.  =)
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1003
    Anyone else think Tyson Fury looked a bit weak at the weigh-in?
    Had to follow by live updates as am ina hotel room in France, sounded closer than I thought it would be if the scores were accurate. 

Rematch in October then.  
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11994
    edited May 19
    Crazy that one ref scored Fury won by a point.  On my count, he won 4 rounds out of 12, tops.  In Round 9 he was bouncing around the ropes like a kid on a trampoline, and then saved by the bell with a broken nose.  
  • LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 93
    edited May 19
    Fury fought a defensive fight, never ever looked like hurting Usyk.
    Thought his post match comments were a bit embarrassing as well. Stating he thought he had won the fight???? And because his ( Usyks ) country was at war, he had got the nod….. very unprofessional IMO.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 872
    I love being wrong :anguished: 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7278
    edited May 19
    I scored it 116-113 Usyk but my mate who is pro boxing trainer scored it 114-113 Fury so maybe the pros see things we mortals don’t 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1999
    edited May 19
    Bitter sweet as I like them both. I think Tyson had his chance and held off, so happy for Olek.

Now it's time to brace for the thoughts John Fury, Eddie Hearn, David Haye, TalkSport and all the other knob'eads...
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 263
    Of course it had to be a split decision if there was no knockout. And on rolls the money train.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10361
    That 9th round though, wow. A deserved win for Usyk. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7818
    Great result for boxing. Assume there will be a rematch. Usyk a deserving unified Champion.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1757
    That 9th round though, wow. A deserved win for Usyk. 
    Agreed.

I also didn't quite like Fury's comment that this decision was based on Usyk's country being at war and sympathy votes. He didn't repeat that during post game conference but it didn't sit well. 
    Great fight and great won for Usyk. Looking forward to Oct.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    edited May 19
    Just got around to watching after checking my phone in the middle of the night to see the result.

A lot closer than it was made out to be, however the right man won no doubt and the showboating was embarrassing.

What got me was in the 9th just before the ref jumped in with the 8 count, Usyk could have thrown a potentially devastating last punch but held off and almost stepped back as he thought the ref had stopped the fight, which for me was the sign of a complete sportsman....how many others would do the same?

As for the comments by Fury after, delusional is the only word that sums him up, I'm not sure he'll take the loss well...remember Prince Naseem?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6914
    edited May 25
    Josh Taylor v Jack Catterall 2 tonight. Over 2 years since Caterall was denied becoming undisputed champ. On the night immediately after, I thought it was a robbery. 

With time and reflection it was maybe closer, and not a very good fight. Jack could have done more to seal it. 

However, I think tonight it’ll catch fire.

Who’ve you got? 

I think there will be a couple of knockdowns maybe both fighters will it the canvas at some point, but Catterall wins it on the cards. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    I think Catterall did enough to win but was closer than the cards. 

I’ve ordered Zhang vs Wilder tomorrow, good card and would have been great if Beterbiev didn’t get injured. 

Hope Ball can take the title deserved to win the last fight. 

Dubois in another very tough fight , I expect he isn’t favourite but has a chance I think. 

Just hoping for a stomping knockout in Zhang/Wilder, would prefer Zhang as Wilder is such a moron.