Audiobooks

What's Hot
Probably a no but would anyone recommend any audiobooks? Would that even be a way to enhance my skill set?

I walk for about an hour to work each day so wondering if I can ‘multitask’..

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't know of any audio books would be any use - I personally find that a visual element is important for learning theory, although you may well not find the same of course - but there are some ear training apps that might work, get your ear honed?
  • Audio books on practice , like the talent code Daniel coyle , the practice of practice , bounce by Mathew sayed etc  can give you insights into the best ways to practice and are also inspiring .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited October 2021
    Also listen to your fave music like normal, but with maybe a slightly more active and critical ear than normal; try and work out the chords and what’s going on. Why the music “works”. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 182
    Victor Wooten - The Music Lesson. Very thought provoking. It's on Audible.

Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Not a book but Desi Serna's Guitar Music Theory podcast might be of interest

https://www.guitarmusictheory.com/podcast/
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    I'm sure there are loads of podcasts out there.

My current favourite is the alarmingly titled "Guitarwank". As usual, I'm years late to the party but I really enjoy the open discussion format between two very talented and funny players; Scott Henderson (fusion-ish) and Bruce Forman (more of a straight-ahead jazzer who also does western swing and a few other things). 

I've learned more from the first few episodes of that than I have wasting my money on books, lessons etc.

For example: It really is as being prepared to put a lot of work in! We all know the basics that we could be working on (chords, arpeggios, scales etc.) but people seem to underestimate how much effort it takes to use these proficiently enough to even START making music.

Also, you need to spend an awful lot of time listening to good music. Scott Henderson talks about students turning up at the Musicians Institute wanting to be blues players who have never heard Albert King. Likewise there are jazz guitar students with scant knowledge of the horn or piano players who are giants in that genre. I think it's Scott who tells a story of listening to the sax legend Wayne Shorter, who has a distinctive, idiosyncratic style, effortlessly improvising perfect impersonations of Charlie Parker, John Coltrane etc.

Occasionally I get overwhelmed but it's a handy reality check. I sometimes toy with the idea of taking some 1-1 lessons to get into jazz but then I realise that I have neither the ambition or the talent to be an even half-decent player. Oddly enough, although this is a harsh realisation, it reminds me that I play guitar as a hobby because I enjoy it! 

Sorry for the digression. My problem with podcasts is that there are so many out there of variable quality. Nearly all could do with considerable editing but it's amazing what we now have access to for free.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    Audiobooks are not a great format for learning an instrument, imho.

Learning an instrument is working on small number of things at a time, over a long period of time.

Audiobooks impart large amounts of information in a fairly fleeting way, you hear it and it has gone.
    Going back to it is harder than turning to a bookmarked page.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Basher said:
    I'm sure there are loads of podcasts out there.

My current favourite is the alarmingly titled "Guitarwank". As usual, I'm years late to the party but I really enjoy the open discussion format between two very talented and funny players; Scott Henderson (fusion-ish) and Bruce Forman (more of a straight-ahead jazzer who also does western swing and a few other things). 

I've learned more from the first few episodes of that than I have wasting my money on books, lessons etc.

For example: It really is as being prepared to put a lot of work in! We all know the basics that we could be working on (chords, arpeggios, scales etc.) but people seem to underestimate how much effort it takes to use these proficiently enough to even START making music.

Also, you need to spend an awful lot of time listening to good music. Scott Henderson talks about students turning up at the Musicians Institute wanting to be blues players who have never heard Albert King. Likewise there are jazz guitar students with scant knowledge of the horn or piano players who are giants in that genre. I think it's Scott who tells a story of listening to the sax legend Wayne Shorter, who has a distinctive, idiosyncratic style, effortlessly improvising perfect impersonations of Charlie Parker, John Coltrane etc.

Occasionally I get overwhelmed but it's a handy reality check. I sometimes toy with the idea of taking some 1-1 lessons to get into jazz but then I realise that I have neither the ambition or the talent to be an even half-decent player. Oddly enough, although this is a harsh realisation, it reminds me that I play guitar as a hobby because I enjoy it! 

Sorry for the digression. My problem with podcasts is that there are so many out there of variable quality. Nearly all could do with considerable editing but it's amazing what we now have access to for free.
    Awesome post this. I’m the same - a late learning but my goodness I enjoy the process of getting better 
  • octatonic said:
    Audiobooks are not a great format for learning an instrument, imho.

Learning an instrument is working on small number of things at a time, over a long period of time.

Audiobooks impart large amounts of information in a fairly fleeting way, you hear it and it has gone.
    Going back to it is harder than turning to a bookmarked page.

How nice it must be to listen to guitarists on social media who arent long haired,heavy metal playing shredders. Do these fellas have youtube channels?