Role of left hand on Piano

What's Hot
When watching various youtube videos on music theory, even when explaining basic topics on Piano like triads, the left hand is still playing stuff.
Is it just for the root and 5th or root and 3rd to make the chord sound bigger.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This will make you laugh, I can read piano sheet music, on guitar I just stick to tab! On Piano The left hand can play chords and the right hand too, two chords played at the same time are called Polychords and they sound very cool, similar to stacking notes, There is so so much you can do, the left hand can play a triad and the right hand can just break down that chord and appreggio it, or again the left can do the triad and if your a jazz pianist your right hand can be playing 9th's and 11ths or play the chord with a right hand and see what the melody sounds like on the left hand
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    What genre?
    Say you are playing Jazz and want to play an C 13 chord.
    That is done by playing C E G Bb D F A.
    (You don't have to play all the notes, the G, D and F can be left out, provided you have the 3rd, b7 and 13 (E, Bb, A) over the C).

But let's say you DID want to play all of those notes, you have a C maj 7 on the left hand and a D minor triad on the right.

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I mostly just bash out root octaves with my left hand whilst playing chords or sometimes chords plus melody with my right hand. It's 'piano lite' but it's a bloody good backing for a singalong if I have a lyrics/chord sheet.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    edited December 2021
    Wait till you get to the Bach stuff where each hand is playing two separate melodic voice lines simultaneously whilst sharing others between the hands... mindboggling!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    Arguably the best jazz pianist ever...

Old joke was - Who is the greatest piano player in the world? Oscar Peterson's right hand. The 2nd best is his left hand. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    axisus said:
    I mostly just bash out root octaves with my left hand whilst playing chords or sometimes chords plus melody with my right hand. It's 'piano lite' but it's a bloody good backing for a singalong if I have a lyrics/chord sheet.
    Mrs Mills is in the house
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Arguably the best jazz pianist ever...

Old joke was - Who is the greatest piano player in the world? Oscar Peterson's right hand. The 2nd best is his left hand. 
    Not much arguably about it .......he was just exceptional in every way .Incredible Jazz genius.
    I love his trio work best.

Could listen to that all day.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    My mum took me to see him playing a small theatre gig when I was about 11. Just astonishingly good.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Benm39 said:
    My mum took me to see him playing a small theatre gig when I was about 11. Just astonishingly good.
    I am jealous!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    There was a great interview/lesson with Jools Holland, where he showed the various changes of the left hand, from the styles of 40's/50's/60's from jazz, to boogie woogie to jump jive to rock n roll, via various piano players of the day - Subtle tweaks sometimes - But many great walking bass lines