Fair price for Solid State amp

What's Hot
personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
edited October 2021 in Amps
I’m going to be looking to sell my Yamaha DG-100 212 amp soon. It’s a hard one to price. It’s not common enough for there to be much market data on it. Shops won’t take it.

It’s an untrendy solid state amp. It does have motorised knobs (ooh er) and can be used as a straight poweramp into a 2x12 with two Celestion G30s. It also has digital delay and midi and and reverb. 

I thought the digital delay was the greatest thing ever when I got this as student. Blew my mind. Now: probably a bit basic. 

I’ve had it for such a long time, all the above might just be ideal chatter and I’ll just lend it to friends or family and effectively have someone else store it for me. But here’s a simple question: what’s the amp worth? 

Logically it’s probably been surpassed by flashier tech, at the same time if you were to buy a 100w poweramp and 2x12 you’d probably pay more than what this will wind up being worth. 

Avarice, sentimentality and pragmatism all vie within me 

(edited title - wasn’t too comfortable with the SS abbreviation) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    If I remember rightly these are somewhat sought-after, partly because Allan Holdsworth used one. (I think maybe the head or a rack version rather than the combo.)

There's one on Ebay now for £355 (collection only), which doesn't strike me as unreasonable for something that good and with a moderate celebrity association. I would expect you might get slightly more for one in nice condition and if you're prepared to ship it. Reverb prices seem to be in the same region, in various different countries...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks, super helpful info. It seems Holdsworth used 2 Yamaha DG80-112 (amongst many others) according to this:
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/jazz-guitarists-guitar-gear/#allanholdsworth

One for clean, one for dirt. Seems counter intuitive as you can switch channels via midi, but perhaps he didn’t want the sound of the motorised knobs turning on stage.

you can see them here (took a lot of fast forwarding):
    https://youtu.be/LhaLdY6e4UY
  • Actually you can see the Dg 80s in this clip.

@ICBM you’re right, in the clip in the previous post he’s using using 2 DG100-212s. The control panel is central on the DG80s and right on the DG100s. 

Sadly despite having a fraction of his back line, I do not have a fraction of his talent 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    It's not fair to compare yourself to someone with 20 fingers @personalnadir ;
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    personalnadir said:

One for clean, one for dirt. Seems counter intuitive as you can switch channels via midi, but perhaps he didn’t want the sound of the motorised knobs turning on stage.
    Professionals almost always do this with any channel-switching amp, because it means there are two completely separate feeds to the PA - whether mic'ed or DI'd - so the soundman can set the levels and EQ on a desk channel for each independently. The correct balance for the out-front sound might be different from how the performer hears it on stage, so if the performer used one amp and switched channels, the soundman would have to re-adjust the settings on the fly every time, whereas if they use two separate amps then the desk channels can stay set as they are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom