SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Point me to the right soldering iron please!!!!!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 30w should be plenty.I take it your putting flux on the join before removing the wire.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28283
    Reigniting this post as I have an 30W (i think) and I am struggling to remove wires from my volume pot on my Tele.  Is it the iron or the tip (do tips "expire?") or both?
    Tips do wear out eventually. Using a bit of tip cleaner can help, as can cleaning with a brass shavings pad instead of a sponge. For the backs of pots you want a BIG tip to transfer the heat as quickly as possible.

How long on average would you expect to heat the pot to melt the solder and remove the wires?
    I was raised with the 300/3 rule - no hotter than 300C, no contact for more than 3 seconds.

Some non-lead solders require the temperature to be rather higher than that, but the 3 second rule is a good one.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
    edited September 2017
    Lozboy said:
    30w should be plenty.I take it your putting flux on the join before removing the wire.
    Just tinning the iron and heating the pot to melt the existing solder.  Waiting for the solder to melt so I can use the sucker 
  • Sporky said:
    Reigniting this post as I have an 30W (i think) and I am struggling to remove wires from my volume pot on my Tele.  Is it the iron or the tip (do tips "expire?") or both?
    Tips do wear out eventually. Using a bit of tip cleaner can help, as can cleaning with a brass shavings pad instead of a sponge. For the backs of pots you want a BIG tip to transfer the heat as quickly as possible.

How long on average would you expect to heat the pot to melt the solder and remove the wires?
    I was raised with the 300/3 rule - no hotter than 300C, no contact for more than 3 seconds.

Some non-lead solders require the temperature to be rather higher than that, but the 3 second rule is a good one.
    3 secs!! Man I am doing something wrong...
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Sporky said:
    Yep, I use a tip like these for guitar guts and haven't had any problems (other than user error!). Thanks again to @Gagaryn for his guidance on the issue  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Get a Metcal sp200 off eBay - heats up very quickly and uses Curie point to control temp - different tips will heat to different temps. Serious piece of kit and if you are patient you can get a bargain.
  • Reigniting this post as I have an 30W (i think) and I am struggling to remove wires from my volume pot on my Tele.  Is it the iron or the tip (do tips "expire?") or both?  How long on average would you expect to heat the pot to melt the solder and remove the wires?
    Buy the biggest (flat surface) tip you can find, maybe 6mm, and feed some new solder into the existing solder that you're trying to melt. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom