So what next then..? - Now, so what I did next..

What's Hot
guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
edited October 2021 in Guitar
Through selling off a load of unused pedals, an amp and a couple of guitars I now have about £1,200 in the "guitar kitty", but cannot for the life of me decide what to spend it on.

The answer may well be nothing, but I'd welcome any suggestions - guitars only though, amps/effects all sorted by a Helix LT and I have no need/desire to change this. And I'm in no rush to spend..

Current guitars are:

Partscaster Strat - USA Strat body, GSPBasses solid rosewood neck & Oil City SSS pickups (I have a HSS pickguard wired up and can swap these over in about ten minutes for a change).

Partscaster Tele - MightyMite neck, Bareknuckle Tele pickups & an old pine body - looks a scruffy, but sounds great.

Gibson SG Special with mini-humbuckers & vibrola trem.

Gibson LP Jr - bargain of the century (thanks Amazon).

PRS SE Hollowbody.

Squier Mascis Jazzmaster with AVRI JM pickups.

Fender Jagstang (yes, the looks are marmite but it plays really well).

Partscaster Telemaster with USA Strat maple neck, Bareknuckle Tele bridge pickup & Irongear P90 neck pickup.

Things I've had but didn't get on with:

Ibanez S520 - great guitar but the locking trem was a pita and didn't really stay in tune too well (might have been worn as it was used and about ten years old).

Fender Player Mustang - Souless and shrill sounding, but a great colour (olive green).

Fender Cabronita Telecaster (MIM) - Really needed a tone control and weighed as much as a boat anchor.

Gibson LP Faded - heavy and didn't look that great really.

We play the usual pop/blues/rock covers type stuff, nothing heavier than a bit of Sabbath/Purple.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    Doesn't sound like you need anything unless you get into bass or acoustic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26991
    No obvious need to buy anything. I’d sit on it and slowly add to the pot until something really great crosses your path. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18748
    Looks like you are well provided for gear.
    I'd use the cash to put towards next months energy bill  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • No Flying V, no Explorer, no Firebird, no Gretsch/Guild/Charvel/Jackson/Fernandes/Gordon Smith/FretKing/Duesenberg/Framus/LAG/Vigier

Man, you have some collecting to do!
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I'd say don't rush into a buy. It's good to look just knowing you can afford :) 
  • Acoustasonic maybe, or something with 24 frets but non-locking trem..

Nearly bought a PRS Starla (USA but not S2) this week but it turns out the shop are selling it on commission and won’t ship it (they’re in Scotland and I’m in South Wales so that’s not going to work). 

What I don’t want to happen is that it disappears on next months energy bills.. 

• Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    You are pretty much sorted, but I would say...

You don't have anything solid, mahogany with a maple top with full sized humbuckers. Very famous sound :) 
  • *Aaron**Aaron* Frets: 73
    edited October 2021
    If you don’t know don’t spend  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    12 string or a baritone?

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    12 string or a banjo.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Or some percussion.
  • Cheap Variax to help you decide on next purchase and save the rest
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Cheap Variax to help you decide on next purchase and save the rest
    Just sold one of those (Variax Standard), probably the most uninspiring guitar I’ve ever played, in terms of feel, and most of the selections didn’t sound like I imagined the real thing to sound like (awful, thin Strat but nice humbuckered Tele).

Don’t know if the JTV versions are better, sounds are the same obviously.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Doesn’t look like you need anything. If you want to explore, experiment, or play then maybe something totally out there like an extended range multi scale, a harp guitar, or a Chapman Stick type thing?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • So a Variax JTV-69s appeared in a search for £99 more than I sold the Variax Std for, so I thought I’d give it a go..

It’s such a better guitar, feels solid and less of a ‘toy’, much more inspiring. 

I’ve seen criticism of the neck on these online but, to me, it feels very similar to the wide-fat profile on my SE Hollowbody so no complaints here - the high E string is very close to the edge of the neck though, so care is needed. Will try to squeeze the saddles together a bit when I change the strings. 

Now I can continue to try those Gretsch’s, banjo & baritones without filling the room with guitars and getting moaned at.. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So a Variax JTV-69s appeared in a search for £99 more than I sold the Variax Std for, so I thought I’d give it a go..

It’s such a better guitar, feels solid and less of a ‘toy’, much more inspiring. 

I’ve seen criticism of the neck on these online but, to me, it feels very similar to the wide-fat profile on my SE Hollowbody so no complaints here - the high E string is very close to the edge of the neck though, so care is needed. Will try to squeeze the saddles together a bit when I change the strings. 

Now I can continue to try those Gretsch’s, banjo & baritones without filling the room with guitars and getting moaned at.. 
    Congratulations. I think your the first person on the fretboard who’s ever acted on one of my suggestions!!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Sounds like you are pretty well resolved and very well covered.

So I were you I would be thinking only one thing - 

@TrentGuitars

I have a JTV-59. It´s a solid well built guitar that is fun to play and inspires fooling around with the digital stuff.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.