Why are Gretsch guitars so associated with Rockabilly?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4981
I find it hard to see the difference between Rockabilly and traditional Rock & Roll.  By traditional Rock & Roll, I mean the style of playing of Chuck Berry and George Thorogood.  Essentially based on the blues chord pattern with a shuffle beat.  The type of guitar they use is a Gibson 335.

Yet for Rockabilly, which to my ears sounds similar to traditional Rock & Roll, a Gretsch guitar is favoured.  Is there a musical/sound reason for this preference or is it just another reason to buy another guitar?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited October 2021
    Really it was Brian Setzer who codified Gretsch as rockabilly guitars in the 80's rockabilly revival.

Setzer got it from Cochran who played a Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Western model.

In the 50's there was much more plurality of guitar model.
    Carl Perkins used Gibson.
    Buddy Holly a Strat.
    Scotty Moore played Gibson and Fender Telecaster.
    Bill Hailey played a Gibson Super 400.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    Because rockabilly's that bit more twangy?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I absolutely dig the Rat Rod   By Gretsch  I think it makes a great Sleazy rock guitar  and has a hint of Richard fortus style to it 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Gretschs sound perfect, look better than any other choice and unlike all the other brands, they really haven’t diluted the 50s vibe of their product. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    edited October 2021
    I think of rockabilly as having a fairly large good ole boy quotient, and elements of country... Gretsch played up to that with all that cowpoke/rodeo imagery, "G" brands, horseshoe inlays etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    octatonic said:
    Really it was Brian Setzer who codified Gretsch as rockabilly guitars in the 80's rockabilly revival.

Setzer got it from Cochran who played a Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Western model.
    In the 50's there was much more plurality of guitar model.

Carl Perkins used Gibson.
    Buddy Holly a Strat.
    Scotty Moore played Gibson and Fender Telecaster.
    Bill Hailey played a Gibson Super 400.
    I agree although a lot of Setzer’s work hasn’t had the more plinky plonky type rockabilly sounds. 
    And some Gretsches have the bling and the cattle branding and all that Americana type stuff which is much more part of the rockabilly image. I think they also did the custom colour thing before Fender and they were doing wacky body shapes (think Bo Diddley and Lady Bo) quite early on. So if you wanted to make a loud visual statement Gretsch were the go to brand. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Wow @EricTheWeary that’s a lotta cool in one pic  <3

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    My most versatile guitar is a Jet. Sometimes guitars are used for a genre or revival and its not clear that their were other uses or genres. George Harrison, Malcombe Young, Billy Duffy all break the mould. 

The Telecaster is a country guitar-Status Quo, Stranglers...

Stratocaster is a surf guitar...Hendrix

Les Paul's and Jazzmasters were designed for jazz.

I remember not see a LP on top of the pops for years, along comes Slash. 

• Actually George Thorogood usually used a thinline ES-125 and Chuck Berry used all kinds of guitars before apparently settling on a 355. 

Gretschs are great for almost anything. 
    Actually George Thorogood usually used a thinline ES-125 and Chuck Berry used all kinds of guitars before apparently settling on a 355. 

Gretschs are great for almost anything. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Back in the 1970s, Gretsch guitars were rated similar to Ibanez.  And that was not good.  It seems that both brands have upped their game considerably since those days.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Interesting question.

I don't think it's anything to do with sound and is more just tradition. IMO I think a Gibson can be dialled in to twang, a Gretsch to be warm and midrangey, at least as close as it would need to be.

I think the Gretsch cosmetics always look a bit more influenced by '50s cars (although it might be that for all my lifetime - and I'm old - I've associated Gretsch guitars with '50s cars). The hot rod 50's car thing seems central to the Rockabilly genre (although you could probably say that about traditional rock-n-roll).

Another thing might be the high percentage of Gretsch guitars that have a Bigsby as stock? The whole wiggle/shimmer thing seems very popular with the be-quiffed ones.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The straight rock 'n' rollers will play all the usual Fender/Gibson suspects but if you try to play anything other than a Gretsch in a Psychobilly band then you're asking for trouble. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Gretsch guitars are visually very striking- they do go with the whole larger than life Rockabilly aesthetic. 

That's why Billy Duffy of the Cult picked a Falcon as well- big guitar, plenty of bling, makes a big statement and gets you noticed. 

Sounds great in his hands as well. 
    The straight rock 'n' rollers will play all the usual Fender/Gibson suspects but if you try to play anything other than a Gretsch in a Psychobilly band then you're asking for trouble. 
    With one exception: the Gibson ES295 with Bigsby.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1332
    As Slash was to Gibson Les Pauls, Brian Setzer was to Gretsch !
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I absolutely dig the Rat Rod   By Gretsch  I think it makes a great Sleazy rock guitar  and has a hint of Richard fortus style to it 
    I got one of the black Rat Rods because I couldn't afford a Tim Armstrong signature model, 
    It's a great guitar & I've been really impressed by how versatile it is- it even sounds good unplugged, so I don't use my acoustic as often.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    Rocker said:

By traditional Rock & Roll, I mean the style of playing of Chuck Berry and George Thorogood.  Essentially based on the blues chord pattern with a shuffle beat.  The type of guitar they use is a Gibson 335.
    Actually George Thorogood usually used a thinline ES-125 and Chuck Berry used all kinds of guitars before apparently settling on a 355.
    Because the 335 family did not exist before 1958, by which time rock 'n' roll was almost over, at least in its original form.

Most of the early rock 'n' rollers actually used fully hollow Gibsons or other similar guitars, with a few using Fenders. Chuck Berry mainly used an ES-350 before the 335-types.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11664
    edited October 2021
    slacker said:

Off the top of my head... Paul Kossoff?  Jan Akkerman?  Mick Ronson?!  And all the decades in between...
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Offset said:
    slacker said:

Off the top of my head... Paul Kossoff?  Jan Akkerman?  Mick Ronson?!  And all the decades in between...
    To be fair, I think it did go a bit quiet on the LP front during the 80s.

The straight rock 'n' rollers will play all the usual Fender/Gibson suspects but if you try to play anything other than a Gretsch in a Psychobilly band then you're asking for trouble. 
    That's this poor fucker's goose cooked then...

Although, to be fair (again), some Guild/DeArmond models seem to split the difference between Gretsch and Gibson.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom