Rick Astley and Blossoms do The Smiths, and guess what....

What's Hot
breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10297

... It's bloody brilliant. 

Not a fan of either, but this put a massive grin on my face. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Yes, this is great. I really like Rick Astley- he's a great sport and his voice really holds up well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A good friend managed to get tickets whilst I missed out. He keeps going on about hoe great it was and making me jealous. Apparently Rick was on form all night and Blossoms didn’t miss a beat. Would have loved to have been there.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22979
    Haven't watched this but I have seen Rick Astley live.  He was very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I have seen Rick twice on time at an 80s butlins weekend, where is was so good I booked tickets to see him at Cannock chase a couple of years later, he's a great showman.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I guess I'm out of touch as I don't know Blossoms at all. The vid does seem like fun though.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13945
    I finally got round to watching the Glastonbury clips as I didn't;t see any of it live and for me, Risk Astley was the highlight. I love how 80s teen pop wonder can turn out to be so cool. he looks great too.

he clearly loves music and performing and has kept a career going through the decades.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11315
    The Rockonteurs podcast with Rick Astley is worth listening to. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Never thought I'd hear "Rick Astley" and "cool" in the same sentence  :3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11824
    I've said it before but Rick and Blossoms were the most enjoyable set I've seen at Glasto in many a year.  They abso-fucking-lutely nailed it, and Rick managed to come over as both cool and an extremely nice (and humble) bloke.

Top marks.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6503
    Glastonbury’s set was ambitious in song choice but absolutely nailed the vibe of those songs. Astonishingly faithful versions of very tricky guitar parts. Can’t praise them highly enough. Love it.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5171
    I’ve just listened this morning….Blooming Marvellous  <3
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1355
    edited July 2023
    Boy With the Thorn in his Side swiftly followed by Girlfriend in a Coma at this year's Glastonbury was as good a piece of live music as you'lll see anywhere this year. (24 minutes in on the iPlayer one hour set that's still up).

Astley was a revelation. And the Blossoms - just a killer band. The dynamic works so well as well.. washed up forgotten pop singer from the 80s the butt of an internet meme takes the stage with the youngsters and does a full on Freddie at Live Aid. 

Too rock? Too karaoke? who cares when the music is that good. 

"Oh f*uck... Tom's brought out the Jäger..."
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5160
    I wonder if part of the appeal is separating that catalogue of songs from the prize cock you'd normally have to watch singing them. Rick Astley comes across as a really down-to-earth, likeable guy who doesn't take himself too seriously. Morrissey?... less so.
    Maybe next year they can persuade Johnny Marr to come and join in.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7207
    I wonder if part of the appeal is separating that catalogue of songs from the prize cock you'd normally have to watch singing them. Rick Astley comes across as a really down-to-earth, likeable guy who doesn't take himself too seriously. Morrissey?... less so.
    Maybe next year they can persuade Johnny Marr to come and join in.
    I could imagine that lineup with JM would sell out some decent sized venues . Make it happen !
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    Am not nor never was a fan of his music, but he seems like a decent bloke all round in interviews. Head screwed on etc early doors.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72448
    I have tickets to see Rick next year in Glasgow :). Supported by Belinda Carlisle… 35 years ago, who would have thought it would be that way round?!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5003
    ICBM said:
    I have tickets to see Rick next year in Glasgow :). Supported by Belinda Carlisle… 35 years ago, who would have thought it would be that way round?!
    35 years ago I was in love with Belinda. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72448
    Reverend said:

35 years ago I was in love with Belinda. 
    Well, there may be more than one reason I wanted to see Rick ;).

Last seen from the front row at the Edinburgh Playhouse in 1988…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12376
    He's an old pro, kept his chin up and grafted through the lean years and loves it, good on him. Blossoms are local Stockport lads and seem like a decent bunch of chaps.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"