SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Hollis GX10

Anyone got a Hollis GX10 going spare/ for sale, mine has packed up after many yrs in the Precision and didn't realise how much I miss its tonal input albeit slight....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1446
    I think I might have a Hollis thing in my box of bits.  I'll have a look when I get home
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7352
    edited October 2021
    It's very odd that you are asking this question now, because yesterday I was looking into the back of one of my guitars wondering whether to remove the Hollis "precision amplifier (really just a tone enhancer that gives extra oomph) and whether I would still like the sound without it.  I decided to just leave it in place but check regularly to make sure that the battery hasn't gone flat and started leaking as it once did.  While making that decision I looked at it and wondered what simple components were hiding inside that black potting compound that hides them so well and stops us from copying the circuit.  As you said, the tonal change was subtle but I liked the difference.

Only a few months ago I was raking through all my very old pamphlets, receipts, and other guitar-related paperwork and I came across the receipt for two Hollis GX10 circuits that I bought way back around the late 80s or early 90s.  I sold my 70s Strat still with the Hollis thing fitted and explained to the buyer what it was and how to revert to original wiring.  I tried to research what happened to Hollis Research which was, as far as I understand, a one-man business based in Guernsey, but all searches led to a dead end.  I do recall receiving a letter from Hollis maybe as long as 8 years later advertising a new device that I think was a cabinet or amp simulator something like the Tech 21 SansAmp.