Re-Fret help needed

What's Hot
The frets on my 25yr old Strat copy are very low and it makes bending difficult as there's hardly any fret height to use. I've never had a guitar re-fretted before so have no idea where to start - what type/size frets to use or how to compare. My other electric is a Gretsch Electromatic Dueo Jet centre block but I don't know what frets are on there other than they feel ok.

I don't know where to begin with choosing frets as I don't want to pay for a re-fret then find I don't get on with them or they make the guitar feel wrong. 

Any suggestions of where to start? Or is it a case of going to a luthier and just beginning the conversation and getting their advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I don't know if you're prepared to travel but there's a guy in London who could give you the advice and help you need. PM if you need his details :) 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Or, if you prefer local, you have AJ Lucas, a fine luthier :) 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited October 2021
    First question is, what fingerboard material? A full-on refret for a maple neck involves having the fingerboard resprayed.

Changing the fret wire height will oblige you to replace the nut in order for the strings to have sufficient clearance. This, in turn, will alter the ride.

Removal of the original frets present an opportunity to have the fingerboard planed for a flatter radius. This, too, would alter the ride.

If you like your S-type the way it is, simply have the same size fret wire but in a harder material. That way, they should see you out.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • That's a big one, I'd happily play a 7.25" radius neck with vintage frets, some people want a 14" with jumbo frets. I think you'd want to stick with vintage, Medium Jumbo's max. 
  • Mellish said:
    Or, if you prefer local, you have AJ Lucas, a fine luthier :) 
    Yes, I've used AJ before as well as Chris George who's not too far away either
  • Any idea what sort of cost is involved in such a job? It's a rosewood (I think) board. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Some example prices here....
    https://www.theguitarengineer.co.uk/prices.html

Probably not worth it, unless you have an emotional attachment.
  • NelsonP said:

It's a very sentimental guitar - worth far more to me than its monetary value so I realise spending will not make financial sense, but I'll still do it. It's a guitar that will be handed down to my kids one day
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    edited October 2021
    By Strat copy, is this a high quality custom effort or something from the Argos Catalogue / Tandy? 

Re-fret worth having is going to be £225-£300 as a minimum.

If a cheap guitar, there are various new strat copy necks on eBay from uk sellers between £45-£90, some of which are really decent.

Edit as @lincolnblue I hadn't read your update whilst typing and posting this. 

Appreciate the sentimental element. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    2 popular options on a Strat are 6105's and 6110's - Both can be tagged as medium jumbo - 6105s are tall and less wide - 6110s slightly wider and slightly less height - My favourite are 6150's as found on many PRS Guitars - All 3 would work fine on a 7.25" or 9.5" radius board 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Cost depends to an extent where you are, round here ~£200 is usual. Adjustments for stainless or EVO, possible maple board refin - it's not always required btw, new top nut, etc.

If there's any shops or mates nearby to try other guitars, you could look up specs maybe. Probably going to end up at something med jumbo, unless you have specific want for skinny vintage or jumbo. A modern Jet is almost certainly going to be  some sort of med jumbo.
    It will feel different at first regardless, new frets with additional height, new setup and so on. 
  • A new neck is probably the cheaper and best way?
  • Bear in mind fret-size choice is very subjective and it affects how you play and subsequently how the guitar would sound; and you will likely get different recommendation from different people. For example, some people love jumbo frets (e.g dunlop 6100) on their strats and I absolutely dislike it.

I would suggest contacting @FelineGuitars - I am sure Jonathan and team can either find you the fret size that matches your existing frets, or offer you suggestions. Their refret work is top notch too. 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    2 popular options on a Strat are 6105's and 6110's - Both can be tagged as medium jumbo - 6105s are tall and less wide - 6110s slightly wider and slightly less height - My favourite are 6150's as found on many PRS Guitars - All 3 would work fine on a 7.25" or 9.5" radius board 
    I tend to find that most of what we do falls into the following (we have other sizes too but these are most popular)
    True vintage - Dunlop 6230 
    Slightly taller/wider than vintage  - Stewmac 152
    Medium Jumbo - like PRS or modern Fender - Dunlop6155 (I think PRS is 6155 rather than 6150)
    JUmbo wire - 6100 (6105 is same height but skinny and some players like it  whilst others feel it's a bit like hurdles)
    Super Jumbo - Dunlop 6000

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    I tend to find that most of what we do falls into the following (we have other sizes too but these are most popular)
    True vintage - Dunlop 6230 
    Slightly taller/wider than vintage  - Stewmac 152
    Medium Jumbo - like PRS or modern Fender - Dunlop6155 (I think PRS is 6155 rather than 6150)
    JUmbo wire - 6100 (6105 is same height but skinny and some players like it  whilst others feel it's a bit like hurdles)
    Super Jumbo - Dunlop 6000

I've never measured the 6150/6155 as such - I've seen both quoted as the closest you can get to that of most PRS Guitars - I think looking at the Dunlop size chart we are in to gnats whiskers any way regarding the difference - What do you fit on say the Lion DC Junior (the one I purchased) - I'm guessing 6100/6150's or thereabouts
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    NelsonP said:

It's a very sentimental guitar - worth far more to me than its monetary value so I realise spending will not make financial sense, but I'll still do it. It's a guitar that will be handed down to my kids one day
    I got feline to do the same with my strat copy. I spent infinitely more than the guitar was worth but I play it everyday again now. 
  • Feline have done four refrets for me - immaculate work. Have brought guitars to life every time.