Danish Oil and Stuff

barnsleyboybarnsleyboy Frets: 39
edited October 2021 in Making & Modding

I've lived with the orange for 9 months now, and finally decided to do something about it. It has now gone from this:

to this:

For the neck, I sanded using 400 grit, then I used a new 4" scraper blade for the fretboard. I've left the front of the headstock to keep the Harley Benton logo. It's had 3 coats of clear danish oil which has left it feeling lovely. However, I'm thinking that it could do with darkening very slightly. I don't want to go out and buy tinted danish oil as I'm bound to chose something way too dark. Is there a cheap way to add a colour a drop at a time so that I can get the right tone? I've got a few bottles of printer ink (the 3 primary colours and some black) Would something like that be suitable? I could mix up a few different samples and try on some scrap wood, but would the colour leach out over time and start turning my finger tips a different colour?

I've started to de-gloss the body using a scotchbrite pad on a small sander. I'm on the course grade at the moment and will be working up to the fine one. Jury is out whether or not to go further and completely strip back to bare wood and re-stain/ paint. If I stick with just the de-glossed finish, should I apply anything once I'm done to seal and protect? In fact, should I also do something similar to the neck too or is the danish oil ok as it is?

Any advice very much appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I guess that printer ink would be water soluable. If so, it would not mix with the danish oil. You could try a spirit based dye but what every you try, definately mix it first before applying to check that it mixes. I would also try to find a similar piece of wood if possible to try it out. Definately start light and go dark as it is very hard to get rid of darker stains once done.
  • In the end I tried mixing in some raw sienna Alkyd oil paint. I was probably a little too cautious, as it has only very slightly darkened it. Next time I change the strings I'm going to be a bit bolder with it. I'm really pleased with the way the body has come out. It looks slightly relic'd, but not over the top. The neck and fretboard has picked up a bit of grime from my fret polishing which gives it a more used appearance. I may dull down the black pickguard with the scotchbrite - looks a bit too shiny!