Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fuzz (..and other animals) recommendations

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• jeroenvanhulsteijnjeroenvanhulsteijn Frets: 67
    edited October 2021
    Yes, the search for the perfect drive pedal. Never ending quest. I gave up on it. Just trying and buying because I like it right now. I don't really get your wish for the Dumble flavor though. Never heard a 68 PR in real life, nor a Dumble. But what I hear in video's with 68 PR in overdrive is not what I hear with al the Dumble based pedals. I'd say the 68 PR can bark and be raw. My personal experience with the Custom Tones Ethos and Van Weelden Royal Overdrive is that they are very smooth and thick. Very dynamic pedals.

But if you want something that screams and cleans up, I understand the recommendations for a fuzz.

Or maybe a booster/transparent overdrive (like the Timmy and clones) if you really like the drive tones of the 68 PR.
    If you want something with a little more character / tonal footprint of its own, I'd say that the Little Green Wonder (Mad Professor of BJFE doesn't really matter, same circuit) is something that cleans up wonderful, it can bark, it can bite. The Mosky Green Drive is a cheap clone. It does have some of the characteristics. But if you can spend the money, I'd say the MP or BJFE version is worth it.

And then there is the Custom Tones TWE1, that really goes from clean to mean. And it is very dynamic and really versatile.

Well, good luck with your hunt for the pedal that fits your needs! Enjoy your search!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So many options and I went down the Fuzz rabbit hole a while ago.  It's probably best to understand the different circuits (Tonebenders have many sub-variants) and what you are trying to achieve.  And what amp you have.

Some fuzzes hate buffers before them, so I tend to avoid them as I run them a way down the chain.

For a Fuzz Face: MXR BC108 mini
    Muff: EQD Hoof
    Tonebender: Ramble FX Twin Bender (does mk1.5 and mk2 TBs, loads of options including bias and impedance, but expensive; easily my favourite TB)

A wild card, if you can find one, is the Mojo Hand FX Zephyr Fuzz.  It's based on the Sam Ash fuzz circuit and does light OD-Fuzz Face tones, depending on where the gain is.  Unlike the ones above, it has no issues cutting through for a lead boost (if you wanted to use it this way) as it's quite bright.

All those suggestions have no issues with buffers.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom