Recently got a 18w OT from SteveUK, what to build?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Nice, will look into it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Punches give the best results, but they’re very expensive to buy if you only need to do one hole occasionally. Definitely worth seeing if you can borrow one - aluminium won’t chew it up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    brooom said:
    I'm looking more at the "bass circuit" end of the spectrum but that does sound nice, thanks for the video.

I'll give that a go, I'll probably need to adjust feedback and maybe the power rail nodes a bit.
    That's why I said the black flag amp, as it has the bass response. IMO the Black Flag JTM is better than the classic JTM45, even though on paper they are so similar.

If you are going for high B+ watch your screen voltages with EL84's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    I built an 18w hot rodded M style amp, fixed bias and thought it was the best 18w amp I have built so far. 

You can hear it cranked up in this video, but it does amazing clean tones too
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A4MjfH1Vn8&t=423s
    Wow. That thing sounds absolutely epic. Love it. Great work. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

edited October 2021
    brooom said:
    I'm looking more at the "bass circuit" end of the spectrum but that does sound nice, thanks for the video.

I'll give that a go, I'll probably need to adjust feedback and maybe the power rail nodes a bit.
    That's why I said the black flag amp, as it has the bass response. IMO the Black Flag JTM is better than the classic JTM45, even though on paper they are so similar.

If you are going for high B+ watch your screen voltages with EL84's
    Will check the schematic today. I think my 275-0-275 power transfomer even with a gz34 should be in the low 400s.

I'm also thinking 6V6s fized biased, rather than el84s.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ICBM said:
    Punches give the best results, but they’re very expensive to buy if you only need to do one hole occasionally. Definitely worth seeing if you can borrow one - aluminium won’t chew it up.
    These work well and aren't expensive

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/punches-wad-and-hole/q-max-sheet-metal-cutter-hole-punch-20mm-diameter-round/p/ZT1001894X?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=dsa-generic&utm_content=hand-tools&targetid=dsa-955248742767&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8eOLBhC1ARIsAOzx5cFAvleuNJdRA4wmzkpFHQFw7IS6JdU_j5Qkxr3n_iLolz1ILd8voCoaAuLTEALw_wcB
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @John_A think I'll probably get one of these
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    John_A said:

These work well and aren't expensive
    That's a pretty good price for one of those, even a basic fairly small diameter one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Thanks @John_A think I'll probably get one of these
    Check the size. That was just a random link
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 278
    edited October 2021
    John_A said:
    Thanks @John_A think I'll probably get one of these
    Check the size. That was just a random link
    Will do. Was thinking the same thing. I may bail in any case on adding reverb. My chassis already has 3 preamp holes which will be enough for a mini bassman type build without any additional hole cutting.

Fundamentally I'm very lazy and my project will likely not see the light of day for some months at the soonest. @brooom please let us know how you get on
    took me some time to get around to my tweed champ... so I'm fairly certain I'll also be moving slow. But if all goes well I'll start ordering parts next week as well as doing the initial layout.