Vox MV50 AC through Orange PPC 108

stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
Hello knowledge base.

Before I destroy or badly damage something I'd be grateful if someone would clarify IN LAYMAN'S TERMS whether it will be OK to play guitar through a Vox MV50 AC amp connected to an Orange PPC 108 speaker cab?

My gut feel is that it will be OK but I've got brainache and the mist has descended after reading screeds of technobabble on t'internet ... I'm sure someone out there has done this and can advise accordingly.

Amp is 50W (max) but can be run at 4, 8 or 16 Ohms and speaker is rated at 20W RMS 8 Ohms.

Thanks.

Stu

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    As long as you’re careful with the volume - the risk is to the speaker, the amp is capable of blowing it if fully cranked - it will deliver at least 25W into 8 ohms. There will probably be a temptation to turn it up, as well - the speaker isn’t very efficient so won’t sound that loud until there’s a fair amount of power going through it.

I would judge it by the clean volume - if you can get a completely clean sound at the volume you’re using, the amp won’t be putting out the full power, so if you don’t go louder than that with an overdriven sound you should be safe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Just wanted to confirm for everyone ... Mooer GE100 pedal into a Vox MV50 AC and then through an Orange PPC108 sounds fantastic.

ICBM's steer was spot on!

Stu