FOOT ON THE STAGE MONITOR.

What's Hot
PBJPBJ Frets: 5
Got my first band gig this evening. My main ambition is to get my foot up on the monitor and play some power chords. Is this a "Badge of Honour"?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7365
    Personally I would stick to one spot for your first band gig.  There are too many things that can go wrong, like the wedge monitor rocking backwards and you doing the splits in mid power chord.  I tried to do a Pete Townshend windmilling thing on one of my first gigs and successfully took a chunk of skin off my thumb joint on the edge of the pickguard.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1262
    edited October 2021
    That’s advanced level stuff. 

You need to master basic looking moody in front of the backline, put some time into your strut, at least make a start on your swagger, and get some solid posing on the drum riser down before you even think about foot on the monitor.

Also make absolutely sure that your guitar lead is long enough…

Seriously, if you feel comfortable enough with the actual playing the tunes bit to actually start moving around on stage and putting a bit of performance into your performance then by all means give it a shot. You’re supposed to be having fun up there and if you don’t at least look like you’re enjoying it then how do you expect the punters to?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10446

Stage monitors used to be made of wood with heavy drivers installed and (if active) class AB amplifiers with a heavy transformer. 
    Most of them now are class D with moulded plastic enclosure and weight f#ck all ... plus most  are designed for both pole mount and monitor position so have a smaller bottom to sit on ... you put your foot on one and it will just tip over :)

If it's some ol skool wooden box covered with carpet though go for it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Blend old and new by standing on a pair of IEMs 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    To be a proper guitar God you need a rug. Nice bit of carpet demarcating your space on stage. At this short notice something from ikea will do or that brown shaggy rug in the shed that you couldn’t get the dog sick smell out of. 
    This won’t be an obvious thing to all the audience but any guitarists there will know and your band mates will see that you are taking the gig seriously and have elevated your mastery of the instrument to the next level. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72521
    It's a badge of something, but I'm not sure it's honour...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It very much depends on what you think of this:

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8743
    The Badge of Honour is surviving your first major cock up without wanting to give up. We all make mistakes. The skill is keeping your cool and getting on with the song.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1361
    I did the foot on the monitor thing at my very first gig aged 16 - and became immediately self conscious of doing so... and sheepishly retracted my foot. 

Much like the "machine gunning" move, this has to be practiced well in advance ... and when carrying out the manoeuvre, make it clear to the audience that you being 100% ironic. Or that.. tonight Matthew..  I'm going to be Steve Harris from Iron Maiden.

As regards stage moves, I once saw Steve Lukather crouch down, place his guitar on the floor and furiously strum it at the end of a Toto number. I thought it was utterly cool then and I still think so today. I have been seeking ever since to incorporate this piece of soft rock choreography into my cover band set but have yet to find the right occasion.
    Trust me - it will happen - with or without the aid of alcohol. 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Yes it can look cool, but would you mind if one of the stage crew stood on your amp to fix something?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9723
    edited October 2021
    Also, remember to plant your feet at least a yard apart - after all you are a rock god and you need to give the ol’ cajones room to breathe.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    There is always the ‘jump off the drum riser’ move. However, please do check that there is adequate headroom before such a move- health and safety first. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    I saw Bryan Adams at Wembley Arena & Keith Scott stood on one of the Monitors & it(the Monitor) fell apart with Keith Scott doing a great job of keeping his Guitar off the floor as he fell on his arse, it was of course a dummy Box with them using IEM, it was very entertaining,but he could have broke his back, so I tend to avoid it =) .
  • PBJPBJ Frets: 5
    Well, after much consideration I failed. Apparently, if I moved away from my mic too much then there was feedback from my amp. The drummer came with a rug, well an off cut of carpet. I did however when all was done, throw a pic into the then half empty dance floor when the after show playlist came on. No one noticed and thankfully no one got injured. All in all though a great experience. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I do it but I'm a sucker for that stuff
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3668
    PBJ said:
    I did however when all was done, throw a pic into the then half empty dance floor when the after show playlist came on.
    It can be very disheartening when someone picks it up and hands it back to you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Check YouTube videos for throwing guitar round your body moves that have gone wrong

if you are confident playing then throwing some rock god shapes is a good thing IMO