Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Power chords with the little finger ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4933
    I often use my pinky for A-shape barre chords.
    (Unless I'm going to be using it to add a note for A-sus or something.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 586
    That's exactly how I fret power chords too.  Not sure if it came from copying Clapton as a kid, or playing that old metal trick of moving the root down a semi tone and leaving the 5th where it is ... which I do a lot.  Or that I really like 2 note 6th chords which are very hard to do with first and third fingers :)

It's all just preference though init ...
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    edited November 2021
    Oops wrong thread!  o
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3685
    edited November 2021
    I don't think about it.. not done for 30 years.. it is all embedded in muscle memory now.

I had to actually pick up a guitar to check.  For simple power chords, I use the pinky, esp. if I am going to move the root.  If I am going to add an extension or arpeggiate away, then my third appears as if by magic as a barre leaving me options above and below.

Seems my brain plans ahead by itself.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569

I've always heard the "springsteen grip" referred to as the "Hendrix thumb-over"... Nothing wrong with it - I use that more often than a trad barre. Again it's all about context and efficiency.

never heard either TBH,  just "thumb over" or "F-barre"  -  but it is something I use almost exclusively,  due to my 45 year struggle to play E barre's properly
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 527
    I do A shape barres with my third finger across strings 2 3 and 4, leaving the little finger free for the sus4. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    edited December 2021
    I use my third finger for A barres, but weirdly I’ve always played an open G chord like this by default, barring the 1st and 2nd with my little finger:

I know a lot of people like this chord, but everybody seems to play it with four fingers, but doing it this way leaves the index finger free to add whatever fill-in notes you might need.  Has always worked for me and it's where my fingers naturally fall.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    On acoustic I play it that way because of the incidentals. I learned the other way when I had to play Sweet Home Alabama.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Hmm - just tried it, I can't get clarity on the B note on the A string  :'(

• RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    You will. It just takes practice.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Used to use third finger and little finger on 5th and octave, but last couple of years changed to just the little finger playing the 5th - found it easier to do quick chord changes sliding up and down the neck, more comfortable/accurate for my small hands - although I’ve now noticed that many large handed players do the very same thing when the octave is not wanted.