Writing remotely

What's Hot
My bandmate and I want to get back into some writing sessions and due to living 20 miles away from each other and other commitments, adding an extra half a day out of the house on top of a weekly rehearsal isn’t really doable. 

So, I’ve suggested trying FaceTime or similar to get some ideas down. We both have macs, interfaces and the ability to record direct. I am a complete novice when it come to recording but can throw a track onto GarageBand etc.

Does anyone do similar? Any tips?
Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not done writing in this way, but jamming online over SonoBus has been really productive. Even recorded an album over it with their built in recording function. Decent latency depending on the connection etc.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    edited November 2021
    Generally remote collabs are flawed with latency issues, ..the frustration outweighs the benefits for me...I just send files back and forth via Wetransfer....much more productive.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Agree with @spark240; best way would be to get your ideas down in your DAW and send the WAVs over to your friends via WeTransfer or similar. I have done a fair chunk of an album with a couple of guys from this forum and that process has worked well for collaborating. 
  • Latency and busy networks can be a killer for playing in synch with each other. Maybe FaceTime as one person plays and the other listens. You could send a file in advance and the other one could play it at their end and play with it - at least that way everything would be in synch when it arrived back at your end. 

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3671
    edited November 2021
    Our tool of choice is Bandlab.  It has a cracking browser based DAW.    Do it all in the browser, connects plug and play to interfaces and everything stays in cloud.  You can mix, master and export from it.  Easy to add parts remotely to build up tunes.  No moving files/stems around.

We did dozens of tracks in the depths of lockdown with it.  Awesome tool and it is free.

The future! 

There is another app for realtime playing together but latency was an issue for some members.  Can’t remember name.
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    Thanks for the ideas everyone 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 606
    edited November 2021
    Check out "Audiomovers".. I haven't used it properly yet so not sure about the latency but I tested it with a mate who lives far away from me and it seemed pretty good. You get a weeks free trial before having to pay a subscription fee so it's worth a go.
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    hassleham said:
    Check out "Audiomovers".. I haven't used it properly yet so not sure about the latency but I tested it with a mate who lives far away from me and it seemed pretty good. You get a weeks free trial before having to pay a subscription fee so it's worth a go.
    Will have a look cheers