Decent guitars in the £200/ £300 range

What's Hot
Hi all

I may be in a position to buy an acoustic soon and have my eye on an Epiphone Dove Studio.

I find the Epiphone range confusing,  but like the look of the Dove,  partly due to its Tom Petty links. 

Question is, are they any good and is there anything else I should consider? I am keen to go for an Epiphone, Yamaha or similar simply because I trust the brands. £300 is my max.

Martin

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    New or second hand ? 
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1101
    In that budget your money will go a lot further in the used market and could get you something decent.

Apart from Tom Petty and the Dove, what sort of music will you be looking to play? How will you be playing mostly? Flatpicking, fingerstyle, strumming with pick/fingers etc.
  • I am thinking new simply because I've had a kind offer to buy me one. I mainly play electric and the acoustic would really be for strumming a few tunes for my own amusement and adding to my own recordings in the background.  I am open to second hand too.

My style is along the lines of Daniel Johnston, Jad Fair etc although I can play more conventionally if required :)
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1101
    I haven't played the Epiphone, but I have tried the Yamaha FG820. It was s really nice guitar, well worth the £350 or so. You can find them for slightly less; even new.

Although not as "pretty" as the Dove, in Autumn Burst it has a similar look. I always think if you find two similar guitars at a similar price, the "plainer" one will have more money spent on the things that matter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Have a look at Tanglewood.

If second hand is of use then Seagull/Simon & Patrick's are excellent, and also the posher Tanglewoods are excellent.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7225
    I don't think you can go wrong in terms of build quality and sound buying a new Yamaha from the FG/FS820 price level upwards, but you will pay more for the electro-acoustics and you would have to drop back to the FGX/FSX800 level.  My favourite in your price range is the FG830 with the rosewood body and spruce top as opposed to the different sounds of the more expensive 840 maple body/spruce top and 850 mahogany body and top.

Keep your eyes peeled for a used but good condition Tanglewood (Sundance) with TW prefix, because they represent very good value for money.

You don't see too many used Sigma guitars because I suspect most of them bought new are "keepers".  They are very well built but very simple in terms of decoration, and the mid-priced ones use a good quality composite material for the fingerboard that feels and looks like ebony.  Unfortunately the "Dove type" Sigma is above your budget new.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    Another vote for Yamaha FG830. Bought one earlier in year. Really excellent. (A little bit over your max though).
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7225
    Whoops, yes.  For some reason I had £300 to £400 in my head rather than £200 to £300.
  • There's some good points here - thanks all.

I suppose I am rather taken with the look and versatility of the built in pickup on the Dove. But its also fair to say that those elements may make for a less good instrument overall. Ideally I'd like to try a few out.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited November 2021
    thomasw88 said:
    Have a look at Tanglewood.

If second hand is of use then Seagull/Simon & Patrick's are excellent, and also the posher Tanglewoods are excellent.

picked up my TW73 VS at auction for £225 !!   its a really nice put together little beasty
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Just coming back to thing that got me wondering, does anyone have any views on the quality of Epiphone's current range? Are they well built for instance?

I had a Yamaha years ago so know they are well put together, and take on board what's said above about other brands. But I am still curious about the Epis. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I have a rule that if I'm buying an instrument of a type that I don't really know a lot about I just buy a Yamaha one. 

I've done it with Keyboards, Acoustic Guitars and Drums and not been disappointed yet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • The Yamaha LL/LS/LJ6 are a lot of guitar for around the 300 quid (used) price.  Solid top, simple pickup, good sounds.
    I’m very pleased with mine
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18758
    As mentioned, Tanglewood are producing some fine sounding guitars at budget prices & Yamaha are consistently good.
    Also the Vintage V300 in Mahogany is definitely worth a try, very 'Martinish' on a budget that holds its own tone wise.
    I have heard that the new Epiphone Dove & Hummingbirds are good too, but haven't played any.
  • A second-hand Yamaha FG830 should be within your budget. I have one and I really like it.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    If I were you, I'd head to my nearest guitar shop with as big an acoustic range as possible (taking a mate or relative if poss- always god to have someone to give a second opinion on sound), and just try everything they have within your budget.  

Not only will you stand a better chance of getting something that ticks all the boxes, you'll have a nice morning/ afternoon out as well. 
  • Another vote for a Yamaha. A brilliant track record of "getting it right" which in some of the cool brands would lead to a price point way up the scale.
  • Cheers chaps. I appreciate the feedback.

I hope to go to PMT in Oxford or somewhere similar to try some out. I have to admit that I like the idea of the Epiphone Dove still, and that's purely for cosmetic reasons :)

Being realistic I reckon, given my level of playing, I'd be fine with something at the lower end of any decent band range and that may well be one of the Yamahas. I presume there's no dogs in their range?

One other question. What do people think of the Gretsch Jim Dandy model? 
  • Cheers chaps. I appreciate the feedback.

I hope to go to PMT in Oxford or somewhere similar to try some out. I have to admit that I like the idea of the Epiphone Dove still, and that's purely for cosmetic reasons :)

Being realistic I reckon, given my level of playing, I'd be fine with something at the lower end of any decent band range and that may well be one of the Yamahas. I presume there's no dogs in their range?

One other question. What do people think of the Gretsch Jim Dandy model? 
    As far as Yamaha goes, at the upper end of your price range, it's all about punching above it's weight. If it's aesthetics, their sunbursts are lovely. Good luck with the search and have a lot of fun finding the right one.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @MartinBush if PMT Oxford is as good as PMT Manchester, you'll have a great time. Walls of acoustic guitars. But don't be surprised if the guitar you leave with is not a brand you have in mind. Guitars have a way of doing that! :)