Different PA speakers.

jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
Quick question.
Would a QSC CP8 work with a QSC K8 as a pair for a PA?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3144
    edited November 2021
    The K8 is from the specs more sensitive ie more powerful so you would have to balance gains , I would also expect the K to be more detailed than the CP but without listening to them side by side couldn't be sure. I expect if it's just for noise you'd be fine but if it's hifi listening then they may sound different. Although I expect they've just found a way to make the K8 cheaper and are marketing it as new technology
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    The K8 is from the specs more sensitive ie more powerful so you would have to balance gains , I would also expect the K to be more detailed than the CP but without listening to them side by side couldn't be sure. I expect if it's just for noise you'd be fine but if it's hifi listening then they may sound different. Although I expect they've just found a way to make the K8 cheaper and are marketing it as new technology
    Thanks - they would be used for vocals and guitar. So noise I guess!
    It would appear the official line from QSC is No!

Hello Jim!

To be honest with you, I wouldn't say that they would work perfectly as a pair. You could use both of the speakers at the same, however, you'll have different frequency responses, coverage angles, and SPL levels.

You would have to carefully check that they match regarding sound and that they sound how you would like, at the location that you use them, in the specific application. I hope that this information was useful and have a great day!
  • Just re read the specs was doing on my phone now on computer. The word from QSC is correct, in that the main issue is the K8 has an 110 degree dispersion as opposed to the Cp having a 90 degree dispersion this basically means the K8 will throw the sound wider and because it’s a more powerful cabinet probably further. I think because of the DSP on each cab you could probably get them to sound the same, but you’d have to be quite precise on how loud you turn up the K8 to balance it in a room.

From a practical point of view, if it was all I had on a gig I would spend a bit of time getting the balance right in the venue. I wouldn’t say no it can’t be done. However for a long term relationship I would prefer to matched pairs purely from the faff stand point.

I would also add depending on the gigs your doing with them the narrower dispersion would probably work better in smaller venues, the wider dispersion better for bigger venues where you can get the mics behind the speakers.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Just re read the specs was doing on my phone now on computer. The word from QSC is correct, in that the main issue is the K8 has an 110 degree dispersion as opposed to the Cp having a 90 degree dispersion this basically means the K8 will throw the sound wider and because it’s a more powerful cabinet probably further. I think because of the DSP on each cab you could probably get them to sound the same, but you’d have to be quite precise on how loud you turn up the K8 to balance it in a room.

From a practical point of view, if it was all I had on a gig I would spend a bit of time getting the balance right in the venue. I wouldn’t say no it can’t be done. However for a long term relationship I would prefer to matched pairs purely from the faff stand point.

I would also add depending on the gigs your doing with them the narrower dispersion would probably work better in smaller venues, the wider dispersion better for bigger venues where you can get the mics behind the speakers.
    All makes perfect sense. The problem I'm having is that I seem to be able to get hold of single PA speakers second-hand within budget but not a matched pair!

I currently have a single QSC CP8 which is great but can't find another! Previously I had a Yamaha DXR10 but same problem - a single one.

The venues are pubs type but can be reasonably rowdy - just busy and punters chatting, shouting, enjoying themselves.

The PA needs to be predominantly for a female singer and depending on set etc acoustic guitar as well. I don't really want anything too big and bulky so am pretty sure that an 8" or 10" will fit the purpose well. So Im looking at either Yamaha DXR 8s or 10s or QSC CP8s or CP10s.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3144
    edited November 2021
    I see your problem however as a confirmed HK fan had a quick look on the bay for you and this would do the job https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175016483851?hash=item28bfcb9c0b:g:WGcAAOSwTWJhi8ka
    It would have the same footprint in the car as a CP8
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    I see your problem however as a confirmed HK fan had a quick look on the bay for you and this would do the job https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175016483851?hash=item28bfcb9c0b:g:WGcAAOSwTWJhi8ka
    It would have the same footprint in the car as a CP8
    Thanks for the heads up I’ll do some research and keep an eye on it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72520
    jimkehoe said:

The problem I'm having is that I seem to be able to get hold of single PA speakers second-hand within budget but not a matched pair!
    That should make you think about whether you want to buy those models at all.

The usual reason someone is selling just one PA cabinet is because the other one died.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    jimkehoe said:

The problem I'm having is that I seem to be able to get hold of single PA speakers second-hand within budget but not a matched pair!
    That should make you think about whether you want to buy those models at all.

The usual reason someone is selling just one PA cabinet is because the other one died.
    To be fair the one CP8 Ihave st the moment was a keyboard player who just used 1 speaker for church services and sold as Church has installed their own PA.