Time for a change? Jumbo to 00/000/OM

What's Hot
I’m an occasional player, go through times of playing regularly interrupted by longish periods of not playing much at all. 
A first for me, I’ve had a couple of online lesson to get me started playing fingerstyle. 
Currently have an Epiphone EJ200. Lovely guitar that I’ve had from new in 2008. It’s a nice guitar, but I’m thinking something smaller 00, 000 or OM. Ideally a trade like for like. Any suggestions? Or if anybody is looking to trade the other way? 
Will post something in Acoustics £ with pics once I’ve had the benefit you the collective wisdom here! 
Thanks in advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited November 2021
    That particular Epi does sound fairly dead as most electro cutaways are overbraced. My friend has one, we went shopped and she got a nice J45 that she is thrilled with. If you like fingerstyle get an OM (slightly wider nut than most dreads) and you will see a huge tonal upgrade. You can safely buy an Eastman sight unseen. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited November 2021
    1001 suggestions,  but depends on the  age old question..................... what's yer budget ??   

with experience, Id disagree that "OMs have a wider nut/fretboard than dreads"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • That particular Epi does sound fairly dead as most electro cutaways are overbraced. 

This one is the  no pickup , no cutaway. 
  • I’d like a straight(ish!) swap as I’d struggle to justify spend much. I just don’t play that much and am not that good! 
    The weak link in the whole thing will be my playing rather than the instrument. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited November 2021
    hmm, OK - after some very quick googling of "used Epi EJ200"   they seem to go for around £300 / £350  (some are even £250 !)  

There will be a significant change in tone and possibly volume going down body size,  especially down to 00  -  ALTHOUGH its isnt a linear association.  My little Tanglewood parlor,  is actually louder than some cheaper OMs Ive played, and my Furch OM is louder than some large bodied  Ive tried -   its all down to woods and construction, not just physical size.    BUT you do tend to find the "smaller/boxy-er"  tones  down the cheaper end

TBH I think you'd be wise to go to a music shop and try some smaller bodied guitars (if you havent already) the difference may not be something you end up liking/wanting
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    edited November 2021
    Lots of options although you haven't mentioned your budget.

Top of the range - Martin invented all the OO, OOO, OM definitions and, although not all makers use them, they're still how these body sizes are classified for the most part. Between makers, the debate about better really just boils down to different and that's subjective.

I have a Martin 2018 OM28 Reimagined and its a very nice guitar. I personally wouldn't spend more on Martin's Modern Deluxe range. There's a really hefty cost increase for some arguably unimpressive 'upgrades' e.g. Liquid Metal bridge pins, lighter truss rod. Yet again different but not necessarily better. I think the attempts they made to restore some of the classic features with the Re-imagined iteration are more interesting. They're still about if you can go and play one. Alternatively, new, they're now just called the OM28 'Standard' in the Martin catalogue.

Mid range - Yamaha and Eastman well thought of. Both made in China really. Yamaha likes to convince you they're Japanese but many of even their posher models originate in China and are finished/set up in Japan. Both brands very well thought of, fantastically made and excellent value c.f. the more expensive US makers who charge a premium often just for name.

That's really just mentioning my 3 favourite makers I suppose! The market is now so broad you'll have to go and try them all out. Really don't be bashful about doing that. The shops welcome you and will let you doodle about for hours and will advise you if you tell them roughly what you're looking for - and even if you don't. Often the advice from the sales people is very good.

Decide if you need electrics or not. There's a definite trend towards fitting those and many people just don't use them.

I suppose your first step might be Epiphone if your EJ200 is a favourite. How about their Hummingbird?

Have fun.