Going Wireless - XR18

What's Hot
grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1347
Finally bit the bullet and grabbed an XR18.

I've been running an old Mackie 1604 and a rack full of kit which has been great, but turned up to the gig on Saturday faced with a very challenging space to setup. We could hardly fit our kit in let alone the PA which led to an overly stressful experience and one I want to avoid repeating.

Looks like I need to get a WiFi router given that the built-in one isn't fit for purpose but looking forward to having the flexibility of using an tablet to drive things and have some control whilst we're playing.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it, as it's something I'd like to do for my band too. We're running a Behringer PMP4000 powered mixer which is fine, but offers limited flexibility so an XR18 would give us many more options, though I suspect (as with most things tech based in the band) I'd be left to work it all out. It seems a bit of a learning curve, but one I'd like to embrace at some stage so be good to hear how you find it.
  • I recently bought an xr12, as it’s just 3 vocals going to the PA for us (we’re still using amps , for now, as we’re only playing pubs). I switched the wifi to Chanel 10 on the unit and it was fine. Would prefer to use an ap on my phone rather than and iPad , but other than that it was great! 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6907
    Mixing station is a great app - works on iPhone and costs a reasonable £4.50
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • onyironyir Frets: 45
    My band has been using an XR18 for a few years now, without an external router. never had an issue. Once you get your head around how it works (there are a lot of videos on youtube) it's really easy and effective.
    Mixing stations is a great app for it, as it lets you customize what controls you get on the main screen
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    @Legionreturns has a wireless router for his, but I think primarily so he can pull content via 5G from t'InterWebz without hotspotting to his phone. Didn't seem to be a major faff to setup and I assume works as he hasn't been bitching about it ;)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6907
    Snags said:
    @Legionreturns has a wireless router for his, but I think primarily so he can pull content via 5G from t'InterWebz without hotspotting to his phone. Didn't seem to be a major faff to setup and I assume works as he hasn't been bitching about it ;)
    I thought it was so he could stream his backing tracks in and mime along without anyone getting suspicious!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8742
    We use an external router. Partly for reliability. Partly for the security of a hidden, locked down, network.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • An external router was essential for my XR18. Tried it on a gig stand-alone when I first got it and had multiple connection drop outs. Absolutely no fun in the heat of the moment. 

Second hand 5g routers are plentiful on eBay. I picked up a Netgear one for £15.

What I will say is with these lower end digital mixers you do sacrifice audio quality for functionality. But I guess that’s the pay off.

I compared my XR18 to my Soundcraft Signature analogue desk, I was curious to compare the mic pres. The difference was night and day. The Soundcraft was just in a different league sound quality wise and really highlighted the XR18’s flaws. 

However the XR18 still goes to the gig and gets used, because it’s tiny and the functionality and connectivity is a godsend. Everyone can control their own monitor mixes and I can control the main mix from an iPad mini clamped to my mic stand.
  • It's essential for gigs tbh. 

I use my router to plug in my X Touch too, with a long ethernet cable. That way I can leave the rack plus router on stage, and control everything from the X Touch at the back of the room. Bands can then use the tablet I leave on stage to control their own monitor mixes. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • I use apple airport express for all my gig WiFi needs, I also have wi fi analyser by Kevin yuan free app on my fone so I can set the express to a free or less busy channel
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I bought the xr18 about the time lockdown began and so didn’t really get to use it in anger for a year or so. I did buy an external router and that also helps linking iPads to sync up lyrics in one band I perform with.
    I found my android devices wouldn’t connect to the xr18 if it was already connected to inputs and outputs but if you connect to the internal Wi-Fi before anything else it’s better!
    I did take an old laptop and hard wire that for a few gigs to get used to everything and give comfort to band mates, that was very reliable and a good transition to me. Now we are all Wi-Fi with a dedicated router and having my various bands setups saved is very handy. I carry a small 8 ch tapco desk as hardware backup buy I’ve never resorted to it. My big old sound craft desk and outbound racks are in the shed and I can’t imagine using them again.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3667
    As has been pointed out, the built-in router is poor.  I had initial success with an old Apple Airport Express, which was a carryover from using a Mackie DL series desk, but this seems to have stopped working.  I haven't needed to replace it yet as I'm using an ethernet cable to connect and I'm handling all the monitor mixes myself.  As the rest of the band become more technically adept, and as more of them move onto IEMs, I'll need get myself another router - but I'll probablly go for something cheap / cast off.
  • So an update so far..

Paired the XR with a TP-Link AC1200 and all looking good from a Wifi perspective - 5Ghz with WPA2 and hidden SSID so hopefully should be good enough to gig.

Installed X Air app on a laptop which I will wire into the AP and have two iPads with Mixing Station installed for mobile setup and spare just in case..

Got a test with the band tomorrow, small gig on Friday and then biggie (for us!) on 18th.
  • Ive never had any issues with the built in router. We are literally standing right next to it usually though rather than putting it out front or anything. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ESBlonde said:
    I bought the xr18 about the time lockdown began and so didn’t really get to use it in anger for a year or so. I did buy an external router and that also helps linking iPads to sync up lyrics in one band I perform with.
    I found my android devices wouldn’t connect to the xr18 if it was already connected to inputs and outputs but if you connect to the internal Wi-Fi before anything else it’s better!
    I did take an old laptop and hard wire that for a few gigs to get used to everything and give comfort to band mates, that was very reliable and a good transition to me. Now we are all Wi-Fi with a dedicated router and having my various bands setups saved is very handy. I carry a small 8 ch tapco desk as hardware backup buy I’ve never resorted to it. My big old sound craft desk and outbound racks are in the shed and I can’t imagine using them again.
    For about the last year (i assume since some android update) you can only connect if you disable mobile data....dunno why..its really stupid but there you go. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Worked great a practice last night... gig tomorrow, so should be fun.

As an aside it's simply great to be able to get all of the PA into the back of my car (and without breaking sweat!)..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    ESBlonde said:
    For about the last year (i assume since some android update) you can only connect if you disable mobile data....dunno why..its really stupid but there you go. 
    Thanks that’s useful to know.