NBD....(First Ever Bass)

BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
Squier Classic Vibe 70's Precision Bass. Walnut Finish.

Finally got sick of the sight of my Pedals not selling, so thought a Bass would be handy for Recording as Midi has been my only option previously, and why not try and get the basic technique of Bass playing under my fingers. I've only fumbled with one previously.

Traded the last 4 Pedals (£245) and put £84 toward this. Got a free Fender Bass Gig bag, basic, but it'll do just fine just to store the Bass in the house.

https://i.imgur.com/jS4JbJE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZANnxiB.jpg

Was a struggle to get the finish to come through on my phone camera. Answer: Shove it on a Yellow Quilt.

It seems fine so far. No sharp fret ends, stays in tune (up to now). Sounds great, I only have the Guitar Rig Bass Amp model to go by at home, but it sounded great in the shop. The guy in the shop set it up to play comfortably, all the notes play clean. It feels a nice weight as well for a Bass, maybe only just heavier than my Les Paul.

I love this Walnut Finish and the tinted Lacquer on the Board and Neck. The Block Inlays and Binding set it off just right. Proper 70's vibe.

Another door opens. See if I can become a Deacon or an Edwards or a Graham.

;) 
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14491
    Good choice. 

These Squier bass guitars are enormous fun, regardless of the price tag. Difficult to go wrong with a regular Precision.

Despite the cosmetics, the neck on your CV70s bass looks more P than J. The nut width is probably a halfway house compromise at 43mm. 

The CBS/Fender era Walnut finish is known to those who lived through that era by various other names. The one that I use begins with the letters S and B. ;)

It feels a nice weight as well for a Bass, maybe only just heavier than my Les Paul.
    Unless your LP is weight relieved, this is worrying. 

The only bass guitar I have that is remotely comparable in weight to a proper, one-piece-mahogany-back Gibson LP is an AVRI '75 Jazz in Natural Ash and period correct lashings of poly varnish.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks great, congrats and enjoy 
    Riddim up
  • Good choice. 

These Squier bass guitars are enormous fun, regardless of the price tag. Difficult to go wrong with a regular Precision.

Despite the cosmetics, the neck on your CV70s bass looks more P than J. The nut width is probably a halfway house compromise at 43mm. 

The CBS/Fender era Walnut finish is known to those who lived through that era by various other names. The one that I use begins with the letters S and B. ;)

It feels a nice weight as well for a Bass, maybe only just heavier than my Les Paul.
    Unless your LP is weight relieved, this is worrying. 

The only bass guitar I have that is remotely comparable in weight to a proper, one-piece-mahogany-back Gibson LP is an AVRI '75 Jazz in Natural Ash and period correct lashings of poly varnish.
    Let me guess......................................Shit Burst.... =)

That's crushing, I really like this finish.

Re the weight, the Les Paul I have is 8lbs 12oz. It's a 2017 Les Paul Classic Goldtop. Not sure about the weight relief.

The Bass feels comfortable and no neck dive with a wider 3" strap, it does dive a bit with a Souldier Strap (2"). I could easily stand a full gig with it.

I take it you think the Bass is heavy?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14491
    I have a 2014 VM Precision Bass. I have never weighed it but, then, it has never struck me as heavy. 

On-strap balance can be improved by either adding weight at the bridge or reducing it on the headstock. A Gotoh 201B bridge is more affordable than Hipshot Ultralite tuners.

The Chinese-made Fender Hi-Mass bass bridge is a lump of cheap brass in the shape of the Leo Quan BadAss II. It enhances the sound of some basses and ruins others.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I have a 2014 VM Precision Bass. I have never weighed it but, then, it has never struck me as heavy. 

On-strap balance can be improved by either adding weight at the bridge or reducing it on the headstock. A Gotoh 201B bridge is more affordable than Hipshot Ultralite tuners.

The Chinese-made Fender Hi-Mass bass bridge is a lump of cheap brass in the shape of the Leo Quan BadAss II. It enhances the sound of some basses and ruins others.
    It feels like we are having different conversations here.

I never said I felt my Bass was heavy. I asked you, based on my comparison with my L.P if YOU thought that my observation meant that the Bass was heavy.

Thanks for the tips on upgrades though. I've seen a coupe of YouTube Vids that say the same.

I'm a bit slow. What weight do you think a Fender/Squier Precision Bass should weigh in at?
  • I'm still wondering if the Crossword Clue S.B is actually....................Shit Burst!  B)
  • Nice looking bass. Hope you enjoy playing bass as much as I do.

It's not a competition.
  • I got a Squier VM Precision (PJ) bass about 3 years ago which I'm very happy with. To be honest I rarely use the Jazz pickup, so it's essentially a P bass for my main use. 

I only got a new bass (Sire M5) because I 'needed' a 5 string as well for some stuff. But I expect my Squier will remain my main workhorse.

You mentioned weight earlier. For comparison my Squier VM is only about 8.5lb which I view as quite reasonable for a bass.

It's not a competition.
  • Nice. You can’t beat a P bass dad much as everyone tries. 

I really enjoy playing bass - its taken more of my time than guitar for the last couple of months 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires