SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: decent nut Slotting files

What's Hot
SargeSarge Frets: 2403
Before I spunk £90 odd on 6 hosco files, I'm wondering if anyone here has a set they're not going to use? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7275
    Are you actually able to find the Hosco ones in stock as a set anywhere right now?
    Everywhere I have looked recently has maybe one or even two if the double sided ones in stock, but I've been struggling to find anywhere with a set in stock.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    BillDL said:
    Are you actually able to find the Hosco ones in stock as a set anywhere right now?
    Everywhere I have looked recently has maybe one or even two if the double sided ones in stock, but I've been struggling to find anywhere with a set in stock.
    Northwest guitars, 0.17 is missing from the individual files on their ebay page, but most of the rest are available. 

• BodBod Frets: 1315
    edited December 2021
    Hi @BillDL ;

https://tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/nut-files-set-of-3-electric.html

They're in stock here and I can recommend both the product and supplier.

edited December 2021
    Thanks guys.  I'll check them out.  I've visited both of those online stores in recent months plus many others, but each time they were missing some guages or had none in stock at the time.
    [Edit] I decided to buy the 10-46 set of 3 from ToneTech while they were in stock.  I'm fed up improvising with various files, blades and wet and dry paper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    BillDL said:
    I decided to buy the 10-46 set of 3 from ToneTech while they were in stock.  I'm fed up improvising with various files, blades and wet and dry paper.
    That's exactly why I took the plunge a few months back.  I've made too many mistakes over the years by not using the correct tools.
    I haven't really made any mistakes, but using improvised tools is laborious and time consuming simply because you know you aren't using the right tool and have to go really slow and very carefully to avoid mistakes.  I've been using an extremely fine round needle file for the low E and A, a fine-toothed piece of junior hacksaw blade or electric jigsaw blade with the teeth dulled and rounded over for the middle strings, and thin feeler gauges with fine wet & dry emery paper wrapped around them and held in place with my fingers as I work on the slots of the top two strings.  I've been able to get very acceptable results, looking at the slots through a magnifying glass, but as you mentioned there is potential for mistakes and it takes far too long using the wrong tools.  I have a few older guitars that could have done with a new nut for ages, but I've been putting it off until I got proper nut files, and almost all of the guitars I have bought in the last few years have needed some nut slot tweaking.  I didn't really want to be spending this kind of money, having recently had a large car repair bill.
    Has anyone any experience with the Hosco set of black files in the magnet holder? 
    No, but there is another alternative to files with handles:
    They are tested out here by Chris Alvarado of Driftwood Guitars:

BillDL said:
    No, but there is another alternative to files with handles:
    They are tested out here by Chris Alvarado of Driftwood Guitars:

yeah I saw those, not sure I like the obstruction of the housing, or the price, or that they're diamond coated,other than that they're a bit Mickey Mouse looking