Adding a strap button to an acoustic...

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
I'd like to add a strap button to the neck heel of my Martin DM, in the same position as this photo rather than back at the flat base like some acoustics have.

Are there any pitfalls/ risks I need to watch out for, before I crack out the electric drill?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3260
    edited December 2021
    Masking tape...measure twice...measure again...use a pilot drill bit...mark your drill bits for sensible depth...drill 90 degrees to the contour of the surface...spare pair of hands?

Do you need any measurements from one or two of us?

I've done it on a couple of acoustics now...one's an OM.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^like what he said, I've done exactly this to my Maton.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    Cirrus said:
    I'd like to add a strap button to the neck heel of my Martin DM, in the same position as this photo rather than back at the flat base like some acoustics have.

Are there any pitfalls/ risks I need to watch out for, before I crack out the electric drill?
    Yes. *Most* important!

Check there aren't any metal bolts in the neck heel. I don't think there are on a Martin, but I'm not certain about the lower-end models. If so, they may be covered by a label on the inside of the neck block.

You really, really don't want to drill a hole and hit a bolt close enough to the surface that you can't get the button screw in deep enough, and then can't move the button anywhere else without leaving an ugly hole.

There is a reason I know that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    Alternatively, just wait. Before long you will be of an age where you won't really want to play standing up anyway.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Tannin said:
    Alternatively, just wait. Before long you will be of an age where you won't really want to play standing up anyway.
    Definitely something to be said for this. Bonamassa and Clapton both play their acoustic sets seated. James Taylor plays seated too.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited December 2021
    ICBM said:
    Cirrus said:

Yes. *Most* important!

Check there aren't any metal bolts in the neck heel. I don't think there are on a Martin, but I'm not certain about the lower-end models. If so, they may be covered by a label on the inside of the neck block.

You really, really don't want to drill a hole and hit a bolt close enough to the surface that you can't get the button screw in deep enough, and then can't move the button anywhere else without leaving an ugly hole.

There is a reason I know that.
    I'm pretty sure there is a bolt on the DM range - covered by a wooden plate, not a paper label.
    This isn't a DM, but I'm pretty sure this is the raised plate that covers a bolt:
    https://i.imgur.com/urNorr3.jpg
    edited December 2021
    mart said:

I'm pretty sure there is a bolt on the DM range - covered by a wooden plate, not a paper label.
    You're correct... I thought I'd remembered something about these.

So you're going to need to work out where the bolt is - it should be possible to make a fairly accurate guess both from that video and by measuring the distance from the back of the guitar to the middle of the wooden plate inside - I *think* it looks like about an inch and a half up, but check on your own guitar.

If the position you want to drill the button hole is even remotely possibly in the same place you want to move it either down or up on the heel.

(By the way, I made the mistake on a Seagull, about thirty years ago... I fixed it by drilling the hole out larger and gluing a metal threaded insert into the neck with high-strength epoxy, then attaching the strap button with a machine screw. All neat and covered by the felt washer, but it was a massively stressful unnecessary complication to what should have been a 5-minute job!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    My own tuppenny advice...use decent screws. I used the screws that came with the strap button (can't remember the make) and the screw head shredded half way in. Couldn't turn the screw to get it properly in or to get it out. 
  • jellyroll said:
    My own tuppenny advice...use decent screws. I used the screws that came with the strap button (can't remember the make) and the screw head shredded half way in. Couldn't turn the screw to get it properly in or to get it out. 
    This is proper 'sucking eggs' stuff but I'll add: use the correct flavour of screwdriver. Although, nothing will help you if the screw is made from monkey metal: I've sheared the head off bad screws in the past ;-/
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3704
    I asked a similar question a few years back and was also advised to smear some candle was onto the screw threads so it went in more easily. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    Thanks all. Yeah, I was wondering about the bolt. Annoyingly it's just one and pretty much bang on where I worked out I needed to put it to have the centre of gravity on the resulting line between the two strap buttons. I don't like the base of the heel position because on acoustics where it's there, the guitar wants to tip forward.

Might just wait until I'm too old to want to stand up before giving up on the plan.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7276
    jellyroll said:
    Very true.  Even with a correct diameter hole for the screw so that only the sharp threads cut into the wood I always coat the screw threads in candle wax, soap, or lip salve.  There's nothing worse than chewing up the screw slot with the screw half way in (and out), or snapping the head off a small soft metal screw as used for tuning heads.  I have just finished boring out a broken truss rod cover screw, plugging then refinishing over the hole to drill it again to the proper diameter.
    jellyroll said:
    They're often too small as well, both in diameter and length. When you consider the damage that could occur if it pulls out of the wood or snaps off, you want something a bit bigger. I regard about 4mm diameter and 20mm into the wood as a safe minimum.

Cirrus said:

Yeah, I was wondering about the bolt. Annoyingly it's just one and pretty much bang on where I worked out I needed to put it to have the centre of gravity on the resulting line between the two strap buttons. I don't like the base of the heel position because on acoustics where it's there, the guitar wants to tip forward.
    Surprisingly, further up towards the fingerboard works very well - the strap still comes round the curve of the heel in almost the same place, and it supports the guitar better.

If you really think that's likely to interfere with your hand position, just below the bolt is best. As long as it's not right at the bottom of the heel it won't tip the guitar forward much.

I really detest the back of the heel position too - the only advantage of it is that you can remove it fairly invisibly by replacing the heel cap when you want to put it in the right place...

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    TINMAN82 said:
    Tannin said:
    Definitely something to be said for this. Bonamassa and Clapton both play their acoustic sets seated. James Taylor plays seated too.
    Im in good company then ;)    =)  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    Just put the strap around the headstock. It's way cooler.

Just ask yourself this question: do I want to look like Johnny Cash or Ed Sheeran?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    jellyroll said:
    No pilot hole I take it?

Silly, silly mistake...