A new challenge?

What's Hot
Is it just me that thinks it has been too long since we had a mass challenge? Anybody got any good ideas? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    Are you offering to organise?

We’ve gained a lot of new members since the previous challenge, so we could repeat the kit build. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16731
    I don't think we ever finished the last one properly.   Life got in the way for me
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Sounds like a plan!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Keeping the entry cost and experience levels low was a key factor in previous challenges. This would be £74 delivered https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_electric_guitar_kit_ja.htm. Individuals could then decide their own finish and customisation level. 
  • How about ANY Harley Benton kit? Even the most expensive is going to land for about £100 and it will give folk a bit of flexibility, unless they want to build a Tele style… I’m happy to run the competition if required… 
  • WezV said:
    I don't think we ever finished the last one properly.   Life got in the way for me
    I think the last one (any instrument, any kit) resulted in me building 5 hurdy gurdies! But you’re right - it petered out for some reason. If we’re strict about parameters and timescales it should be more structured and perhaps more likely to end! 
    I think some sort of parameters and a timescale is a good idea….
    Im not sure I’d want to build a guitar as I've already got too many and a cheap kit would be a waste of time effort and money, so I might have to sit this one out, Ill wait and see….
    I do have new year build planned,  it its not particularly “budget”

I am gathering parts for a first ever pedal build though…

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Why don’t we make it a quarterly challenge, ending on 31st March 2022. Criteria:
    1. Any guitar kit with whatever additional parts and finish the builder wants. 
    2. The challenge is to do something you’ve not tried before. That could be a built method, or a guitar type. 
    3. Each build must have a thread in Making & Modding, and a NGD thread once completed. Prize for most interesting build thread. Voted in the same way as our musical challenges. 
    4. No prize for the finished guitar because we all have different experience, ability, free time and budgets. 
    paulnb57 said:
    I think some sort of parameters and a timescale is a good idea….
    Im not sure I’d want to build a guitar as I've already got too many and a cheap kit would be a waste of time effort and money, so I might have to sit this one out, Ill wait and see….
    I do have new year build planned,  it its not particularly “budget”

I am gathering parts for a first ever pedal build though…
    The next challenge could be a pedal build
  • paulnb57 said:

I think I’d encourage you to see this as an opportunity (excuse?) to build something unique rather than something cheap… although it could be cheap too. 
  • Roland said:
    Why don’t we make it a quarterly challenge, ending on 31st March 2022. Criteria:
    2. The challenge is to do something you’ve not tried before. That could be a built method, or a guitar type. 
    3. Each build must have a thread in Making & Modding, and a NGD thread once completed. Prize for most interesting build thread. Voted in the same way as our musical challenges. 
    4. No prize for the finished guitar because we all have different experience, ability, free time and budgets. 
    That would suit me down to the ground. Any interest out there? 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27621
    I’ve got an Ebony neck (solid) here that needs a body building for it.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited December 2021
    Roland said:
    That would suit me down to the ground. Any interest out there? 
    Yes!
    Perhaps number 1 could be
    Make an item of musical equipment from a kit, then it could be a guitar or a pedal or an amp or a cabinet or whatever?

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Could a kit be a body and neck sourced from somewhere like Stewart McDonald or Warmoth?  It's not exactly a kit, but the parts are pre-shaped.  I have a Tele that I've been meaning to build for a while now.  I want to rout the neck pickup for a humbucker and I also want to try shellac for the body finish.  Having a target date will make me pull my finger out and get on with it.
    paulnb57 said:
    Perhaps number 1 could be “Make an item of musical equipment from a kit” then it could be a guitar or a pedal or an amp or a cabinet or whatever?
    Sounds a good idea. That’s what we set out to do in 2019, and it’s not too soon to repeat it.
  • PhilKing said:
    Could a kit be a body and neck sourced from somewhere like Stewart McDonald or Warmoth?  It's not exactly a kit, but the parts are pre-shaped.  I have a Tele that I've been meaning to build for a while now.  I want to rout the neck pickup for a humbucker and I also want to try shellac for the body finish.  Having a target date will make me pull my finger out and get on with it.
    I wouldn’t have an issue with that - it’s all about new challenges
  • By the way… I’ve just ordered a kit! I’ll start a thread when it arrives! 
  • Think I will have time in 2022 for a guitar project but rather than a kit I would rather have a crack at something I have not tried rather than a kit but maybe the criteria is you cannot spend over this and it must be completed as said in 3 months. 

Bit if it's got to be a kit then still happy to get involved. 
    edited December 2021
    ... if it's got to be a kit then still happy to get involved. 
    If a build Challenge is going to be achievable for people of different skill and experience levels, particularly those new to making and modifying, then it needs to be kit based. There is no reason why we can’t move on to a Do Something New challenge later. 

Experience is that life gets in the way. I still haven’t completed my Workshop Renovation challenge from two years ago.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5521
    I really want to make 'something' in the coming year, whether it be a guitar, a piece of furniture, whatever. I'm getting the itch. I'd be up for a forum challenge, I really enjoyed my last effort (one of the old £100 challenges on MR)